Home Stamps Forum
Options

Coin side discussion of the stamp hobby

Coin side stamp thread

They may poof this coin forum thread for being off topic.

KJ

Comments

• Options
    Amazing how even those who don't collect stamps are negative about collecting them. Oh well I guess collecting modern (mostly poorly designed if not just ugly) coins that are only issued to be collected is much more appealing. I always thought it was funny to see a newly issued gold coin with $300+ worth of metal in it marked with a face value of $20. You can't get much more collector-issued than that.
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

I think stamp collectors are probably more intelligent than coin collectors. Stamps can teach you a lot about the world we live in. Gold, silver and copper have more intrinsic value than paper but it's the tiny little bits of paper that better record our human adventures on this planet.

KJ

• Options
    Personally I collected coins as a kid and off and on as a young adult. I never owned any slabbed coins though. About the only coins I have now are those I've found with my metal detector. And yes I have found some cool stuff(for free)
    1876 Seated Liberty
    188? Seated Liberty (can't remember exact date)
    A couple Libetry V nickels from 1880's
    About 40 Mercury dimes of various dates
    33 Indian head cents
    20 Buffalo Nickels
    A couple Standing Liberty quarters
    All sorts of trade tokens, rings Etc etc.
    I haven't gone out detecting much in the last few years mostly because of my work schedule
    But these coins have much more personal value to me than book value. It is amazing at the condition
    silver comes out of the ground though, as it usually looks like the day it was dropped/lost. I once found two seated liberty dimes that were melted together so bad that I did'nt even figure out what they were til' several months later, wonder what the story behind those was(a big fire?).
    My dream was always to go to Europe and search the areas that have a much longer history(of course) and much older coins(there are or were actually European tours for detectorists).
    There was a story(true) of a retired man who went to detect for a hammer that had fallen off a tractor, he ended up finding a buried Roman treasure/cache of hundreds of gold coins, silver coins and other artifacts made of precious metals from the 3rd century A.D. I haven't checked back on the story for a while to see what the conserved artifacts look like but it has been over a decade (I think)
  • Options
    Well that thread is still going and there are actually a few intelligent non-negative responses going on, guess it hasn't been poofed yet for being off topic.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    There's definitely an overall malaise that has overtaken philately, but as I mention in my post in that thread, there are certain pockets that are red hot... the only downside is that in the area I collect the competition is so darned fierce, that I'm having to spend more and more to get the pieces I want. image

Heck, over the weekend I spent $150 on a stamp that catalogs $0.25 in Scott... (of course the cancel on it is exceptionally rare, hence the price image ).
  • Options
    CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS...
    I just looked up this stamp that my children and I found in a book
    that belonged to my 88 year old father in laws MOTHER! He passed on 7 years ago
    God rest his soul.

This is what I read about it:
    Most valuable stamps issued in the United States:
    BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
    Denomination: 1c
    Color: Blue green

I will email pictures to anyone that wants to see it!
    I tried to download them here but it said my picture is to big?
    My email is inkyblueyes919@hotmail.com

PLEASE give me any and all advice
    We are so nervous and Hoping for a miracle!
    We have a family of six and if this would mean what I think it could
    it would be such a answer to prayer!!!
    Thanks so much in advance!
    inkyblueyes919
    We make a living by what we get, WE MAKE A LIFE BY WHAT WE GIVE!
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    That was an interesting thread.

I think that some coin collectors are a bit biased. Just as email has hurt the use of stamps, the advent of a credit based 'cashless' economy will ultimately undermine coin collecting. Coins do have an edge on stamps in that they have underlying intrinsic value, so they will never be truly 'worthless'

I have a great love for all stamps, but the USPS completely ruined my pursuit of new issues by just producing stamps for the sake of revenue. I used to get all the new issues in the 80's. That decreased to getting stamps on subjects I was interested in or that looked nice, and then completely stopped when the amount of new issues just became too overwhelming to keep up with. I think the nail in the coffin for me was the Bugs Bunny stamp and then the "20th Century Decade" Series. I won't even get into the "Politically Correct" aspect of some new issues. I just think generally that the subject material on stamps has been cheapened over the years. I would much rather have 'quality' over 'quantity'

I have gained much knowledge of history from stamps and will always appreciate them for that no matter what happens.

BTW what Scott # are the U.S. issues up to now?

we reached #1000 in 1952 (took 105 years)
    "" 2000 in 1982 ( " 30 years)
    "" 3000 in 1995 ( " 13 years) which includes some souvenir sheets of multiple stamps which only was given 1 Scott number

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a great love for all stamps, but the USPS completely ruined my pursuit of new issues by just producing stamps for the sake of revenue. I used to get all the new issues in the 80's. That decreased to getting stamps on subjects I was interested in or that looked nice, and then completely stopped when the amount of new issues just became too overwhelming to keep up with. I think the nail in the coffin for me was the Bugs Bunny stamp and then the "20th Century Decade" Series. I won't even get into the "Politically Correct" aspect of some new issues. I just think generally that the subject material on stamps has been cheapened over the years. I would much rather have 'quality' over 'quantity' >>

Actually, there's been some complaining in Coin World and Numismatic News about the very same thing happening with U.S. coinage and all the crap that's coming out of the U.S. mint...
  • Options

<< <i>
    Actually, there's been some complaining in Coin World and Numismatic News about the very same thing happening with U.S. coinage and all the crap that's coming out of the U.S. mint... >>

With a series of President dollar coins being produced when none circulate and a First Wives gold series, I can see why.

I do enjoy coins as well.
  • Options
    !
  • Options
    Has anyone added anything to the coin thread letely?
  • Options
    Try the thread here which I started this morning.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Thanks Richard