Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

3rd set completed - 1990's Team of the Decade!

Nothing earth shattering, but another set down!

Regards,

Greg M.

Team of the decade 90's
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• Options
    Congrats Greg! Don't downplay it....a completed set is a completed set!

Now, just get that Reggie White upgraded and it's all in at least 9s! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    nice set
    some great cards in there

congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Greg,

Great job on completing the set.

Todd
  • Options
    Congrats GM, great set of cards. I love that 90's decade set, some great players in there

• Options
    Congratulations - great set! good work

fastwillie
    Current #1 Hines Ward Master Set
    Current #1 Hines Ward Basic Set
    Current #1 Ben Roethlisberger Master Set
    Current #1 Ben Roethlisberger Basic Set
    Current #1 Jack Lambert Master Set
    Current #1 Jack Lambert Basic Set
    Current #1 Jerome Bettis Basic Set
    Current #2 Jerome Bettis Master Set
    Current #1 Franco Harris Basic Set
    Current #2 Franco Harris Master Set
    Current #1 Jack Ham Master Set

succesful deals with CDsNuts and Bkritz thanks
  • Options
    Congrats!!
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    greg,

congrats!!!

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats Greg! Don't downplay it....a completed set is a completed set!

Now, just get that Reggie White upgraded and it's all in at least 9s! image >>

Thanks Arnie - you have to expose my flaws! I've had a tough time finding a PSA 9 Reggie White...plus I really don't understand why his 1984 USFL card isn't in the Team of the Decade set. I think that its asenine that the 1984 USFL card is in the HOF rc set but his 1986 Topps card is in the Team of the Decade set. I've asked the question before and been shot down....but we should standardize the sets and only include 1 brand for all specialty sets.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    To alleviate any further concerns from Arnie, I've now upgraded my Reggie White to a PSA 9!

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    cough

You're welcome. image

Great set by the way. I loved that one. Kind of bummed I retired mine.
  • Options

<< <i>cough

You're welcome. image

Great set by the way. I loved that one. Kind of bummed I retired mine. >>

A pat on the back to Envoy for the nice deal on the PSA 9 Reggie White...

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246

<< <i>To alleviate any further concerns from Arnie, I've now upgraded my Reggie White to a PSA 9!

Greg M. >>

Whew...now I can get a good night's rest. image

Congrats Greg!

That is kind of wacky though about the USFL vs Topps cards for Reggie White. Definitely should be standard.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Congrats Greg! Don't downplay it....a completed set is a completed set!

Now, just get that Reggie White upgraded and it's all in at least 9s! image >>

Thanks Arnie - you have to expose my flaws! I've had a tough time finding a PSA 9 Reggie White...plus I really don't understand why his 1984 USFL card isn't in the Team of the Decade set. I think that its asenine that the 1984 USFL card is in the HOF rc set but his 1986 Topps card is in the Team of the Decade set. I've asked the question before and been shot down....but we should standardize the sets and only include 1 brand for all specialty sets.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Well, I know the story behind this as I was in the midst of that debate both times it went down. You may not remember this, but initially there were NO USFL cards in the HOF RC sets. When many of us got together to publish the initial HOF RC set, the consensus was to not include USFL, CFL, Lake-to-Lake, Enor, etc. type cards. To use the best/most valuable base/mainstream issued RC of each player. A year or so later, we re-visited adding the USFL cards to the HOF RC set. PSA sent out a vote and the change was approved. At the time, the only USFL card, I beleive was Jim Kelly. I don't think Steve Young or Reggie White were on the set yet.

The decade sets were produced by me. I attempted to maintain the standards of the HOF RC set, and at the time I requested them, there were no USFL cards allowed for the same reason as above. Once the USFL change was approved for the HOF RC set, I talked to Cosetta and BJ about keeping the decade sets the same. (Reggie White and Sean Landeta are the guys with USFL card). There were other collectors who were not happy about the 1987 Jim Kelly card being deleted, and I did not want the decade sets (which were fairly new at that point) to run off other collectors off because of cards being changed/deleted. Since the NFL All-Decade teams are chosen STRICTLY/100% based on their performance in the NFL, and the sets are NAMED "NFL" Team of the Decade, it wouldn't make sense to add a players USFL card. One of the arguments about using the USFL cards was that it is the "Pro Football" HOF and not the NFL HOF. An exception was made for the USFL cards because they are so popular and almost considered mainstream. Even though the rookies there are usually considered XRC and not RC. I feared adding those would open the door to the CFL Warren Moon XRC or any of the other XRC type rookies that are out there. So far, none of those cards have been added, and hopefully they never will.

Anyway, thats the backstory to why the cards are different. There are others, and basically PSA stance is that each set operates on its own merit. While most of us want consistency so we aren't purchasing 5 different rookies of the same guy, PSA is going to leave that up to the masses. Latest example being Terrell Davis. His Select Certified is needed for the Super Bowl MVP set, yet his SP is the card that will be added the to HOF RC set. We discussed this before as well, but the bottom line on it is the Select Certified was the most popular/valuable at the time the Super Bowl MVP set was aded, and the SP is the most popular/valuable when the Future HOF-Modern set was added.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Greg,

Nice set! Congrats. Leroy Butler 10, WOW !!

I didn't know you submitted 50 of those to get just that one! image

Gabbs