Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Guess the grade...

Please take a careful look at the Nolan Ryan card and guess the grade. Any additional comments as to why you think it is that grade is appreciated. Results will be posted later.

Comments

• Options
    8 PD
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7, corners
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    6..corners and left edge
  • Options
    PSA 9
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6-7, notch on left edge should take it down to a 6.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    authentic. potential trim on left side.
  • Options
    8. Just because.
    Successful transactions with: vintagetoppsguy, packman, barndog, Big80s, MurphDawg, BrackAttack, mealeworm, Publius, Whiteshoes, bigredone, rube26105, ledsters, reelinintheyears, digicat, themetalsign, OSClabs, 1420sports, bighurt2000, MeteoriteGuy, lsutigers1973, skier07, Machodoc, gameusedhoop, tennesseebanker, Downtown1974, CGeorge, Salinas, corvette1340, lbcoach20, initialD, IJustLoveCards, TedSimmonsFan, Goldlabels, Lothar52, bigred1, Bosox1976, itzagoner, svtPONY95
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Evidence of Trimming, Does not meet Min Size Req...
  • Options

<< <i>Evidence of Trimming, Does not meet Min Size Req... >>

It's already in a PSA holder, you can tell from the picture

Edited to add: 7 NQ
  • Options
    7 just based on corners.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    I have to admit that I was WRONG...well kind of. Let me explain. I recently complained about four cards that I sent to PSA for grading that were originally all graded a 5. The cards were 83 Sandberg, 83 Gwynn, 75 Yount and this 75 Ryan. They were originally sent in during the March special, came back in late June, cracked open and re-submitted as the June special and I got them back today. The Sandberg and Gwynn each came back a 9, the Yount a 7 and the Ryan an 8. I closely looked at all 4 cards with my loupe (as I had two other times). The Gwynn and Sandberg looked worthy of their 9 grades. These were definitely misgraded the first time. However, upon looking at the Yount it had the dreaded surface wrinkle. It is very tiny, but it is there. So the first grade of a 5 was probably accurate. How it ended up in a 7 holder this time is beyond me. Now to the Ryan. This was also a 5 and it went to a PSA 8. In my opinion the corners are kind of iffy and could have gone either way - 7/8. However, that chip on the left border should have definitely knocked it down to a 7 - maybe even a high end 6. I guess to sum things up is that probably only one of the 4 cards were graded accurately the first time - the Yount. The Sandberg and Gwynn are true 9's and I think the original grader was very harsh on those two. In my opinion the Ryan is overgraded as an 8. Again, I think it should have been a 7 (possibly a 6), but definitely not a 5. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the grades, but realistically I think the Yount and Ryan were overgraded this time. How many times do you ever hear anybody say that about their own cards? Kind of makes me wonder though, were they rushed through this time and those two slipped by or were they overgraded by the lack of experience of the new graders (or both)?

I tried to scan the Yount, but the surface wrinkle does not show up.

There was another thread on here the other day about how cards can be shifted around inside the holder to hide things like border problems. Look at the last scan of the Ryan. Same card, but by shifting the card to the left, it makes it look like the border is fine.

• Options
    I think it's Take Your Grader to Lunch Day...I would have guessed no higher than a 6 on it...
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    A 5 one day and an 8 or 9 on another day? Some ballpark consistancy would be nice.

Also - congrats on your upgrades!
  • Options

<< <i>A 5 one day and an 8 or 9 on another day? Some ballpark consistancy would be nice.

Also - congrats on your upgrades! >>

Graders are human. Perhaps one saw what he believed to be a surface wrinkle. The other didn't. Maybe the 9's are overgraded? The 8 above sure seems to be.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The notch on the left side of the card is not as evident in the second pic, but that card is definitely overgraded. Its true grade is in the middle of 5 and 8, count your lucky stars it's in an 8 holder. I guessed a high grade 6 or low end 7, but an 8? Wow. This is another example of that old saying "buy the card, not the holder"!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.