Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Can I consider this card in my Set Registry to be a 1 OF 1?

Hi, I was wondering what you guys think. I have a Buddy Jeannette Cut auto, his only cut auto and it is numbered to 3. Now, do you think I can consider this card to be a 1 OF 1? One of a kind because of the kind of cut thats on the card? Mine happens to come from a original piece of College document and it also includes a kind of an inscription saying Washington Jefferson College which was his college. I see lots of Cut autos for Baseball Hall of famers which are numbered one of one and bring in thousands. Its not like the players from Baseball that sold for 1,000's are superstars, there Hall of Famers but not the best like Jeannette. And lots of those Baseball cuts i've seen that sold for big buck didn't even have nice looking cuts or autos on them. So what do you guys think? Can I consider this card to be a one of a kind? Can you put a value to it? If you go to my Hall of Fame Autographs Collection link you will be able to see this card but I will go ahead and include a link to go staright to this card.

Buddy Jeannette HOF One of a Kind???

Thanks for your time and your thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    I have a picture that I saved from another collector who have this same Buddy Jeannette card. I will include a link for the picture, this one is number 3 OF 3. Mine is 1 OF 3. I little while back I saw the 2 OF 3 but it wasen't as nice as mine but it was a little better than the 3 OF 3 one. The 2 OF 3 wasen't a piece of original document such as mine. I don't have 2 OF 3 picture saved on my computer, does anybody happen to have a picture of number 2? Thanks again and please tell me what you think and what you think the value would be if I were to sell it. Thanks again.

Buddy Jeannette 3 OF 3
  • Options
    Hey guys, check this Chick Hearn out, it recently sold for over 1100 bucks. I still think thats a steal because of the Baseball ones selling for triple that or more. This happenes to be the unglier Chick Hearn, the other one must be better than this one lol. What do you guys think?

CHICK HEARN CUT SOLD FOR $1,100+

I edited it because for some reason the link dosen't seem to be working. Here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150155089819&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005
  • Options
    Since i'm talking about Cut autos, why not show you guys a few.

PETE MARAVICH CUT SOLD $5,700+

• Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    I personally can't believe someone paid that much for Hearn. I do realize that there haven't been very many cuts released in basketball, but for someone that alive and signing until 2002, I can't imagine how rare his signature is. I bet you could find a nice PSA/DNA card for under $100.

Just out of curiousity, do you know what the Naismith from the 2007 UD Chronology is selling for?

Reese

Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    Heres a Maravich on ebay right now. I wonder what it will go for?

Maravich
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Selling a rare card like that would depend on who is watching at the right time. You can certainly spend the $5 in listing on Ebay and try to sell for whatever the card is worth to you. No point in selling it cheap if it is a type of card you enjoy.

Good luck either way.
  • Options

<< <i>Heres a Maravich on ebay right now. I wonder what it will go for?

Maravich >>

Nice!image
  • Options

<< <i>I personally can't believe someone paid that much for Hearn. I do realize that there haven't been very many cuts released in basketball, but for someone that alive and signing until 2002, I can't imagine how rare his signature is. I bet you could find a nice PSA/DNA card for under $100.

Just out of curiousity, do you know what the Naismith from the 2007 UD Chronology have sold for?

Reese >>

I think in the range of $3,000. Boy would I like one of thoseimage
  • Options

<< <i>Selling a rare card like that would depend on who is watching at the right time. You can certainly spend the $5 in listing on Ebay and try to sell for whatever the card is worth to you. No point in selling it cheap if it is a type of card you enjoy.

Good luck either way. >>

I don't plan on selling it but if the right person(s) were to see it and bid, what do you think it would sell for? The only way I would sell it is if I lost interest in this set but I don't think I will anytime soon. I recently lost interest in Vintage Basketball so that why i'm listing up a George Mikan 1950 Menko card in Mastronet's December Premier auction. I dont think i'll ever stop collecting Basketball HOF Autographs, do addicting LOL.
  • Options
    Buddy Jeannette passed away in 1998 but he was as far as I know a great signer of just about anything that was sent to him and has a lot of signed material(Cards,Photos,Index Cards etc) that is still available if you look for it and he was also a signer on the 1995 Action Packed Hall Of Fame auto cards which were the first Basketball authenticated cards available to the public. That is the card I have in my HOF set with a scan. He signed the card with a silver sharpie so its tough to see in the scan but looks great in hand. Usually when their is a lot of auto cards available for a HOF athlete it tends to lower the price on current material. Simply put its all "Supply and Demand".
  • Options

<< <i>Buddy Jeannette passed away in 1998 but he was as far as I know a great signer of just about anything that was sent to him and has a lot of signed material(Cards,Photos,Index Cards etc) that is still available if you look for it and he was also a signer on the 1995 Action Packed Hall Of Fame auto cards which were the first Basketball authenticated cards available to the public. That is the card I have in my HOF set with a scan. He signed the card with a silver sharpie so its tough to see in the scan but looks great in hand. Usually when their is a lot of auto cards available for a HOF athlete it tends to lower the price on current material. Simply put its all "Supply and Demand". >>

All do respect, the Action Packed cards really don't matter to many people. If you look at Wilt Chamberlain Retro and Epic autographs, there selling for crazy prices. Than you get some Chamberlain autos from other sets, i'm not positive of the names of the sets but i'm sure many peopl know what i'm talking about. Anyway, those autos of Wilt from those other sets don't sell for anything, lucky if they get like $200 or $300. Its simply because there not from the 3 major companies like UD, topps and Fleer. Same for the Jeannette, mine is a Upper Deck and the Action Packed dosen't really matter, its like one of those cheap Wilt autos. Not to say anything bad about your card, just trying to make a point. And nobody signed more autographs than Wilt Chamberlain, he was very famous so he signed pleanty of items(every item you can imagine). And yes were talking about the great Chamberlain but his cheap autos such has the no name companies like a company such as action packed they sell for nothing while his UD'd sell for like $2,000 and sometimes more. Jeannette only has 3 cards signed by a major comapany. And the piece of original college document as to count for something lol. Thanks again
  • Options
    With all due respect you have to get your info straight before you reply to the thread. Wilt Chamberlain's authenticated cards were as you stated in the 1999 Upper Deck Century Legends Epic autos and the UD retro Inkredible which I own one of in a PSA 10. But that was it. What cheap Wilt autos are you talking about??? Wilt signed a lot of his regular issue cards to fans during his life which can be PSA/Authenticated but I would not consider anything authenticated signed by him cheap. Look Buddy Jeanette was probably a very good player and he is in the Hall Of Fame but he is no Wilt Chamberlain. I am happy for you that you love this card but for the purpose of collecting autographs for a hall of fame collection on the PSA registry any collector is going to go for any authenticated card he can find at a reasonable price for his collection. If he is a Buddy Jeanette collector well than you may have a card he would be interested in as for me my Jeanette is authenticated and fills in a spot in my collection and thats all I'm concerned with.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Action Packed isn't a no-name company. The reason the a/p autos don't sell for a high premium is because most were made in higher quantity (500) and so there are enough to go around. If somebody is collecting a set of autographed cuts, they NEED that 1/5 card and since it's not usually poor people collecting sets like that, money doesn't matter.

A couple years ago I had a #3/5 ray nitschke signature cuts card. I'm a Packers fan so that card would normally stay with me, but a guy working on that set found me and paid what I thought was a lot of money for that card. I spent that money for a yearbook with not only nitschke's signature on it but also the rest of the packers team including vince lombardi, and had enough left to buy a card actually signed by nitschke.

You basically politely told Goodlieu that his action packed signature card was worthless and unwanted, because your cut sig card is rarer. What you're not thinking about is that the guy actually signed HIS card. Your cut auto wasn't signed as a card, the guy never touched your card. He signed a normal document as part of his daily life, and somebody somewhere sold that document and a piece of sports history was ruined to make a card.

I think the action packed card is much more significant than a cut card with manufactured rarity, and that when possible any true collector would rather have a card that was actually signed than one with a piece of a signed check slipped inside and 1/1 written on it. JMHO

disclaimer - the cards made with love by Garrett are priceless gems and are much more beautiful than the crappy cut cards made by upper deck, so when available the Knuckles cards are treasures.
  • Options

<< <i>With all due respect you have to get your info straight before you reply to the thread. Wilt Chamberlain's authenticated cards were as you stated in the 1999 Upper Deck Century Legends Epic autos and the UD retro Inkredible which I own one of in a PSA 10. But that was it. What cheap Wilt autos are you talking about??? Wilt signed a lot of his regular issue cards to fans during his life which can be PSA/Authenticated but I would not consider anything authenticated signed by him cheap. Look Buddy Jeanette was probably a very good player and he is in the Hall Of Fame but he is no Wilt Chamberlain. I am happy for you that you love this card but for the purpose of collecting autographs for a hall of fame collection on the PSA registry any collector is going to go for any authenticated card he can find at a reasonable price for his collection. If he is a Buddy Jeanette collector well than you may have a card he would be interested in as for me my Jeanette is authenticated and fills in a spot in my collection and thats all I'm concerned with. >>

I definetly know that Jeannette is no Chamberlain but I was giving a card comparison for each player. Wilt has cheap(low priced) cards and he has high priced cards and so does Jeannette. Jeannette's action packed can sell for $1 to $5 while his UD numbered to 3 copies could sell for high. A Chick Hearn cut recently sold for $1,100.00+ and that was an ugly copy. Low priced Chamberlain's could sell for $200 or $300 while his UD ones that are probably numbered anywhere from 750 to 2000 copies or so and that card sells for $2,000 or more. I will get a few examples of cheap(meaning low priced) auto cards of Chamberlain which are similar to the kind of cards that action packed cards are. Just like some of the old Hall of Famers for Chronology, some of them are selling pritty high while their action packed ones can sell for 2 bucks! So here is an example of a low priced Wilt auto:

AKA Wilt Chamberlain Action Packed Auto
  • Options
    Like I said, i'm not saying anything about is jeannette, i'm sure its a great card. I dissagree that the action packed is better than the Jeannette cut. Like you said, the document is a piece of history and its not ruened, its on the card. Its the signeture on the document and the inscription Washington Jefferson College that counts. It dosen't matter that he signed the card or not, he signed the document! I can't understand what your saying if it was a crappy sticker autograph but this is no such thing. Its a document from his college. Didn't mean to get you all hyped up lol.
  • Options
    that wilt you made reference to in the above post is in a gem holder which means its probally trimmed which means knowledgable buyers would NOT pay a premium for it.
  • Options

<< <i>that wilt you made reference to in the above post is in a gem holder which means its probally trimmed which means knowledgable buyers would NOT pay a premium for it. >>

This one dosen't say anything about trimming, what do you mean trimming? Why would it be trimmed?

Wilt Chamberlain Non-Trimmed Auto

LOL
  • Options
    Ok guys I got a perfect example. The Red Holzman thats in the same set has the Jeannette cut sold for over $1,200+ and he also has an Action Packed auto which sells for $25! And that Holzman wasen't a piece of document, actualy it was very ugly looking. I am not saying anything is wrong with your card, the other guy says thats what i'm doing but its not. I am simply saying that the cuts sell obviously for more. What was a simple question ended up with people saying that Action Packed are better than Great Cuts autos?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>that wilt you made reference to in the above post is in a gem holder which means its probally trimmed which means knowledgable buyers would NOT pay a premium for it. >>

This one dosen't say anything about trimming, what do you mean trimming? Why would it be trimmed?

LOL >>

this was not the same link you had a link a couple posts up with a wilt in a gem holder
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

LOL >>

this was not the same link you had a link a couple posts up with a wilt in a gem holder >>

No no, I know. I was just posting another pic of the same card. Didn't say you were talking about this same card LOL. The other was trimmed?
  • Options
    Guys, check out ebay item #120165209962! Now thats gotta be one of the best cards i've ever seen!!!!!! Very niceimage $13,000.00
  • Options
    Another great card up right now. Dave DeBuschere Auto Jersey numbered to 50!

BEST DAVE DeBUSSCHERE
  • Options

<< <i>Guys, check out ebay item #120165209962! Now thats gotta be one of the best cards i've ever seen!!!!!! Very niceimage $13,000.00
    >>

Does PSA take into consideration the signature on the card as part of the overall grade? I don't know how this gets in a PSA 10 holder with that weak, faded signature.

Link

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Guys, check out ebay item #120165209962! Now thats gotta be one of the best cards i've ever seen!!!!!! Very niceimage $13,000.00
    >>

Does PSA take into consideration the signature on the card as part of the overall grade? I don't know how this gets in a PSA 10 holder with that weak, faded signature.

Link

Reese >>

I have no clue but thats a great question, I wonder if they do. They definetly should! Its a shame to see a card like that would such a weak autoimage