Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Boooo to former 70's Cardinal Mike Anderson

Anybody ever heard of Mike Anderson? No, I didn't think so! Mike Anderson played for the Cardinals from 1976 to 1977. Most of you probably know about my Topps Cardinals TTM project. Well, I sent off a 1976 Topps Traded, 1977 Topps, and 1978 Topps. Mind you, he is just a common player. I sent him a nice hand written note about my project that me and my son are doing. I really would not have minded if he just rejected it and put "return to sender" on it. That would have been fine. But NO! He takes the time to open it up and place the cards back in my SASE - UNSIGNED! Come on, Mike! It's not like you get flooded with fan mail!

Sorry, I just had to vent a little. I'm fine now!

Shane

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    write him back and tell him how pathetic he is.image
  • Options
    I'm surprised the douche didn't steal the cards!!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm surprised the douche didn't steal the cards!! >>

He probably knows they aren't worth that much...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Here is some info on Anderson

Ironically, this page has a signed 1979 card of his!

9 seasons, hit less than 0.250 and had 28 total HRs.

'nuff said.

edited to say: also, not a handsome man.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a loser!
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    I would bet you had the wrong address and the person sent the cards back to you as a favor.
  • Options

<< <i>I would bet you had the wrong address and the person sent the cards back to you as a favor. >>

I disagree; anyone nice enough to do that would be nice enough to write a 6-word note.
  • Options
    I got a Jim Otto TTM back today and he put my cards back in the Sase with a pricelist.

• Options
    I know the feeling. You get a nice buzz from finding one of your SASEs in the stack of mail. You save it for last, tearing through all the bills and crap first. Then, you carefully open the SASE and see the name of the player on the back of the card. "Oh, it's so-and-so! Awesome." Then you flip the card over and... "Son of a b----!!!"

It's happened to me exactly 37 times in the past year. I always think -- would it have been that much more difficult just to sign the thing before putting it in the SASE? But, I try to keep in mind that whatever reason they have for not signing, they could have just as easily thrown it in the trash, too. So, at the very least, I appreciate getting the card back... and knowing its fate.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually would rather him KEEP the cards or throw them away. The way he did it was like an "in your face" way of turning us down.

Shane

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    put him on ttm as a great signer,then people will write to him all the time lol-send me 10 extra cards lol!!!id fix him that way
    randy
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    ....just getting ready to start sending off '78 cards..........guess i will save sending the Anderson for now...
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    I bet that he is just bitter that he missed out on the big salary days. He probably is a disgruntled used car saleman.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    send them again or check the address and send them again
    if nothing else it will piss him off if he doesn't want to sign them.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Try sending just one. Some players don't like it when people send multiples.
  • Options
    hes only got a 46% sign rate on the site,id rip em up and send em back to him, some fb hof guy i never even heard of wanted 25 $ a card lol- sent me back price list, so i ripped up 25 $ and send it back to him and wrote a note,you aintworth it buddy,need tape,ill have to see if i can figure out who it was-alot of hof guys sign for free,alot of big name stars want big $,this guy was nobody but in hall somehow ,must have snuck in back doorand stuffed ballot box or something ,i never send just just one, ive had them send me thier cards before with mine plus theysiign the index cards you puit around em,youd think some of these guys would appreciated being remembered,maybe hes nuts lol-bobby doerr sent me 6 cards, 3 of mine 3 of his, still has great sig for 89 years old
  • Options
    I got a Jim Otto TTM back today and he put my cards back in the Sase with a pricelist.

Isn't Otto, like, half-dead?
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

I just did a little research on through the mail autographs, I haven't tried in probably 20 years. Can someone list some good online resources for addresses and/or success stories?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Successful transactions with: vintagetoppsguy, packman, barndog, Big80s, MurphDawg, BrackAttack, mealeworm, Publius, Whiteshoes, bigredone, rube26105, ledsters, reelinintheyears, digicat, themetalsign, OSClabs, 1420sports, bighurt2000, MeteoriteGuy, lsutigers1973, skier07, Machodoc, gameusedhoop, tennesseebanker, Downtown1974, CGeorge, Salinas, corvette1340, lbcoach20, initialD, IJustLoveCards, TedSimmonsFan, Goldlabels, Lothar52, bigred1, Bosox1976, itzagoner, svtPONY95
  • Options
    www.sportsaddresslists.com and sportscollectors.net is web based,they both go great together,i what i use
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Anderson played breifly with the Orioles and I sent him a card in the late 1990's which he signed & returned (of course I only sent him one).
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People have a right to not sign autographs, and to ascribe bad personality traits to them for this is unfair and misleading. No baseball player owes us an autograph, they just owe us their best effort on the field. I've had cards returned to me unsigned before and you just shrug it off.

What's worse is to get grief back from a would-be signer. I once wrote a letter respectfully to one of my favorite players, Reggie Smith - apologized for intruding on his time, etc. etc. and would he sign my card? The card and letter got sent back to me unsigned, and on my letter was written (without a signature) something like "Well, you ARE intruding on my time!". For this, I was tempted to call him a douche bag!
  • Options
    I knew this type of reply would come eventually.

I am not complaining (necessarily) that he didn't sign my cards. I have had many not sign. No big deal. I was aggrevated about the fact that he took the time to open the envelope, take my cards out, put them back in the SASE, and put them back in the mail without signing them. Just throught the envelope away or put "return to sender" on the original envelope. I think that is sort of an "in your face" way of doing it. It's not like the guy gets a flood of mail anyway.

Shane

• Options
    They make us pay out the butt to go to a game and watch them. Then we still collect their auto's and cards is there something wrong with us. image
  • Options
    Nope, there's something wrong with those that don't! image

Shane

• Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I've done ttm off and on through the years. I understand your frustration on him opening the envelope and sending it back in your sase. If that is the first time, it won't be the last if you do any volume. I used to have 100 plus request out at any one time and had my share of return to sender or sent back in my sase.

But for every one of those, you get the above and beyond signer. One former player looked up where I lived and wrote me back about what great hunting and fishing we have in the area. He even went so far as to draw a little outdoor scene on the front of my sase. Or the player who sent me back an extra signed photo and a note thanking me for remembering him. And even the player who wrote me back and said baseball was lucky to have a fan as wonderful as me. I still have all those replies and others like those which mean the most to me.

If you have not had one of these experiences yet, your time will come. There are alot of nice guys out there who enjoy hearing from fans who remember them and appreciate what they did for the game. And when you get one letter like that back, all the Mike Anderson replies will be a little less bitter.

Steve

Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    You're right. I was just ticked for a few minutes. I have already had some players go the extra mile. I have had some send extra pictures. Julian Javier and Ron Taylor actually paid for shipment back to me because they lived outside the US and I forgot to send some money for the postage.

Shane