Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Another "Can you belive this" PSA Story

I requested the 1999 Topps Baseball MVP Promotion set be added to the registry. When I went to add my cards I noticed that the set was not completely listed. It stopped at # 444. I called PSA and told them that I was unable to add my # 459 because the set listed in the registry was not complete. Keep in mind that PSA has already graded the # 459 card that I have. I was told that the book they look the cards up in only list the MVP Promotion cards as going up to # 444. I told PSA that there are more cards in the set and they had already graded card # 459. They said they go by the book they have and will not add my card to the registry. I guess having the card graded by PSA in not enough proof to over-rule misinformation in a book

Comments

• Options
    mbothner,

sounds like a round about way of saying,,, we made a mistake by slabbing that card in the first place !

If the card is not in "their book" how and why did it getted slabbed ?? by mistake ??

Have you looked in the pop. report to see if any other ones have been graded ??

Lee
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    I am about the only person to have these graded. It is obviously a valid card or they would not have graded it in the first place. At one time I had 2 of these # 459's. Since Piazza is on the card and he was a a contest winner I redeeemed the other one for an MVP set. So Topps must of thought the card is real.
  • Options
    I`m not questioning whether the card is valid or not. I`d say it probably is.

I`m just saying if PSA slabbed it, then later said you cannot add it to your registry set because its not on their books,, i`d say that card slipped thru. Somebody did not check the book, and just graded it with the rest of them.

I wonder just what book they go by ??

Lee
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Not all cards slabbed are eligible for the registry.

Is the actual base set 444-cards or are there more?

If your card is a parallel/special insert/mail-in/etc over and beyond the basic set, that may be your problem.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    The Pop Report lists card # 460 as the last base card in the set. The MVP Promotions are parallels of the base cards.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have any info on the set besides just the cards?

If so fax or mail it to the appropriate person at PSA so they can possibly address the issue.

Matt
  • Options

<< <i>The Pop Report lists card # 460 as the last base card in the set. The MVP Promotions are parallels of the base cards. >>

Hmmm.. I'm sure there's an explination but you won't get one from me image

Just in case you haven't already done so, email setregistry@collectors.com and fill out this request form.

Good luck image

Edited to add: In addition to emailing and filling out the request form, do as Matt suggested above. Willing to bet you will have an answer by the beginning of next week.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I have talked to them on the phone. They said I should contact the people that write the book. I gave up at that point.
  • Options
    Ask them what book they are using as a reference. Than you'll be able to see if the book is wrong or not. That's the first step.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    to be honest PSA's spec people can be clueless as to what a card is. they go by beckett bibles i belive, but if its not clear from there what is going on they have no clue. probably because many of them dont collect themselves. its another knock on psa. i like what they offer but they also leave a lot to be desired. dont even get me started on mechanical errors. there is nothing mechanical about the errors on certs. its all mental errors.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>Ask them what book they are using as a reference. Than you'll be able to see if the book is wrong or not. That's the first step. >>

Any help would have to come from Topps customer service and that is not going to happen. Topps will help on a currect product that they are selling but not a product that is 8 years old. I did call them and 6 months later I am still waiting on the return call.
  • Options
    You don't need Topps' help (yet). In your posts you say PSA keeps referring to a book. If it's a Beckett book, you could than look up the set and see how Beckett has it listed in their book. Also find out the edition of the book as ther might have been an error in an older edition and it was updated and corrected in the newer edition. But you need to find out what book PSA is using as a reference guide. Try calling/emailing Cosetta or BJ. They are a bit more in tune to cards and since they manage the registry, would be a better source to get results.
  • Options
    I am not sure what the Beckett says about the 1999 Topps MVP Promotion parallel set. It was around 6 months ago I went through this and do not remember the book that PSA referred to but is was not Beckett. After several calls I felt like I was just beating my head against the wall and getting nowhere.
  • Options
    I had a similar issue a while ago and I was told that PSA uses the SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball cards for reference. I dug my copy up and it states "Each of the 198 regular-issue players' cards in series 1 and cards #243-444 in series 2 were issued in a parallel version of 100 each for use in an MVP of the week sweepstakes". This makes sense that PSA uses the SCD and that's probably why you were told the info that you were. This probably doesn't help you, but at least you may now have a clue on the book they use.

Robert (ajetfan)

-------------------------------------------
    1986 Topps Baseball PSA 10 and 9 HOFer, Mets and more EBAY Auctions, please check them out
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    So PSA has no research department of their own?

So if a new card set comes out, everyone will have to wait for the SCD folks to update their book before PSA will slab the cards?

I wonder if the competition is a bit more proactive in cases like this. Nice to know that PSA outsources their expertise and card knowledge. What's next, the Bangalore Grading Center?

• Options
    So if a new card set comes out, everyone will have to wait for the SCD folks to update their book before PSA will slab the cards?

On newly issued card sets, PSA gets the set list from the company. The only time you have to wait is the period after you get the cards graded and fill out the "set request" form, to when they post the set on the Registry. That can take 6-12 weeks.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>The only time you have to wait is the period after you get the cards graded and fill out the "set request" form, to when they post the set on the Registry. That can take 6-12 weeks. >>

...or 6-8 months...and that's if they're willing to add the set you want.

At least it's a little better organized than the "anything goes" registry that Beckett seems to have thrown together...
  • Options
    I looked through the registry and noticed there's only one set. So safe assumption that it's yours, right?

Link

Under that assumption, I think that's your problem.

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you contact the set registry people rather than PSA customer service.

Fill out the request form -> link

AND contact them via email at: setregistry@collectors.com

At least if they mention "the book" again, you can have it in email form for easy reference.

Please let us know if that helps.