Home Sports Talk
Options

US Women's World Cup coach is an Idiot

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
Your starting goalkeepers wins 3 games (all shut-outs), ties one, and you insert the backup in the semi-finals, lose 4-0. Smooth move coach, and way to snuff out any hope of building a fan base.

This is like pulling Patrick Roy out of the Stanley Cup Finals, after three shutouts in the conference finals!!

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    agreed, Scurry was not the right choice!
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Definitely should've stayed with Solo, but I'm not sure that it would've made much of a difference.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Definitely should've stayed with Solo, but I'm not sure that it would've made much of a difference. >>

Sort of agree, it probably would have been 2-0 instead of 4-0. They still need to score to win.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the Scurry/Solo thing was the problem. Brazil took control of the game. Either goalie would have done a great job. There is only so much a goalie can block. Ultimately, the midfielders and defenders have to possess the ball and keep it in front, but they could not do it.

I think Solo made her own reputation worse by speaking out like that. Had she kept her mouth shut, people would have questioned the coach automatically and seen her statistics as well.

Brazil was the better team and won. Their soccer program is simply catching up and the USA can't rest on its laurels anymore. I hope Germany beats Brazil as pay back for the 2002 Men's loss in the finals.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>I think Solo made her own reputation worse by speaking out like that. Had she kept her mouth shut, people would have questioned the coach automatically and seen her statistics as well.
    >>

Agreed, she would have been better off just keeping her mouth shut. Had she confined her comments to just the coach, she probably would have recovered as well.

Now the gutless coach is punishing Solo by not starting her for the 3rd place game. Heck, let her start and back up her words.