Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1939-M Philippine centavo, possible double mint mark???

Comments

• Options
    Great find, Quezon Boy. Looks like a genuine repunched mint mark and date. And it's on a centavo that's relatively scarce to begin with. Are you in Quezon City? I get to Manila (Makati) once every other month or so, and if possible would enjoy looking at it.

In the meantime, keep on having lots of fun, which it already looks like you're doing.

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options

<< <i>Great find, Quezon Boy. Looks like a genuine repunched mint mark and date. >>

How do you differentiate a repunched from a double die?

<< <i>Are you in Quezon City? I get to Manila (Makati) once every other month or so, and if possible would enjoy looking at it. >>

No Sir, I am here in California and I wish I could be there to show you.

<< <i>In the meantime, keep on having lots of fun, which it already looks like you're doing. >>

Oh yes, having fun is the name of the game. Thank you for your input, and looking forward meeting you in the future.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    The mintmark's doubling is flat and shelf-like, and so is not a RPM but is rather simple machine doubling. I strongly suspect that is what we are also seeing on the second 9 in the date. (In theory it could be a repunched digit, but I would think dies would be made in Manila as they were in the US and thus the date would have been in the master die rather than being punched into every working die. The Philippine coinage experts can correct me if I'm wrong on this detail.)
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)