Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What would you pay to have this 16-s Lincoln in your set?

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sold March 1, 2006 for $1,955. I passed on it Would you pay more or less if it were on the market in 07? (stay with me on this one, it has a twist at the end)

Doug

Comments

• Options
    I'd have to see it in hand. Those spots might be pretty tiny and not bothersome. It might have super nice gem luster, color, and strike. It just sold for a huge amount, didn't it? I sold my 64rd 16-s (a very nice coin but not a superb one) for about $2000 about 1.5 years ago. I am still looking for a superbly nice 64rd (although I might not be able to afford it these days).
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would go for over $2000 now given the current market. Why, did someone play a crack out game with it and your eating you shorts wishing you had done the same?

Bob
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    2k+

p.s. Hard to see it clearly with all the glare. Ever heard of photoshop? imageimage
  • Options
    My initial reaction is to pass. The spots in the fields surrounding Liberty are too distracting. The reverse has too much action. The center of the reverse has alot of things that would make me shy away.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

it looks dipped.The color is too bright.

it was resubmitted and came back in a body bag ?

stewart
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I am thinking correctly, that type of PCGS insert is the most recent so it must have been regraded since then. What I am guessing is that that grade is now different and the value has dramatically changed. image
  • Options
    I've seen many early "S" mints in 5RD holders that don't look as clean as that one. I'm going to say there's a chance it has gone 65 since then.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't photochop any of those pics. They are straight from the Heritage photos. The 64 pic is very overexposed.

One 1916-s MS64 Lincoln purchased on March 1, 2006 - $1,955

Grading fees - $100

Getting it in an MS65 holder and auctioned back off less than one year later on February 14, 2007 - $11,500.00

The power of the plastic? PRICELESS!

Link to Feb 14, 2007 sale

Doug
  • Options
    You guys remember this 12-d, correct?

coin
    same coin
  • Options
    The better bottom (65RD) pics makes it even clearer that it is a VERY low end 65 (at best).
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys remember this 12-d, correct?

coin
    same coin >>

image $690 in 64RD to $23,000(!!!!!) in 66RD(!?!?)

The power of plastic? You can say that again!image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That's truly amazing. I don't do much with early MS Lincolns so you this may be an odd question, but, is the color okay on that coin? It simply appears somewhat off to me.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stories like this about coins that have been regraded higher or lower and dramatic changes in prices paid for the same coin make me laugh since the same phenomena happens with real estate constantly.

In the SF Bay Area a house is sold for x in 2004, the buyer trims the grass, puts in new landscaping, paints the outside and inside and stages the home with furniture and other household items. 6 months later it is resold for 50% over what is sold for 6 months before and the new buyer takes out 100% financing no doc
    o income verification ARM loan to buy the home.

1 year later the buyer, after the teaser rate expires, stops making payments and the lender forecloses. The market in less stable areas (where the home is located) tanks. The lender takes title to the property at foreclosure and has a REO.

The REO Manager looks at the property, sees it needs cosmetic work, has the work performed and puts the property on the market for $50K over the unpaid balance of the loan on the banks books. The property does not sell. In fact, hundreds of similar, if not identical homes, are on the market at the same time. Homes are not selling at list prices. Inventory backs up. Buyers want the homes but they can not qualify for a purchase money loan of more than half the list price since the lending industry has changed its lending practices and decided that borrowers must actually prove they have a job with enough income to allow them to actually make the loan payments. The banks can not believe that the property is not worth what the loan balance is on the books. The bank finally decides to sell the home for whatever it can get and charge off the loss. The home sells for 40% - 50% of what the bank has invested in the property and charges off the loss.

The new buyer gets a new home at half of what it sold for one year ago. The assessed value of the property for county tax purposes goes down. The property tax revenue to the county plummets. Stories about doomsday in the housing market are splashed across the headlines.

However, the new buyer has a great deal on the house. After the bad loans get foreclosed and the losses are charged off by the banks, the banks decide that their income from new real estate loans is substandard. Managers decide that there lending requirements need to be loosened to generate more income from points and fees. Loans become easier to obtain. More buyers can get loans, demand for housing goes up. Prices increase. One year after the buyer purchases the home for half of what it sold for one year earlier, the price has gone up 30%. The new buyer thinks real estate riches are his and that he is brilliant in buying the home.

And the saga continues. All the while, the home stays the same, except at times it looks great and shows well and at other times it looks neglected and has deferred maintenance.

Same things with coins. The window dressing (the grade on the slab assigned by the grading expert for a fee) goes a long way to determining the sale price of the coin (er, house). Funny how things work and funny how human nature (one's desires, wants and needs) manifests itself in the same coin being sold for hundreds of dollars one day and months later being sold for five figures.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Tom B: Wow! That's truly amazing. I don't do much with early MS Lincolns so you this may be an odd question, but, is the color okay on that coin? It simply appears somewhat off to me.

The color/exposure of Heritage copper images through the years can't be understood, only watched in amazement.

No doubt the same coins, and nothing has been done to them. Only the image, and grade, have drastically changed.

This is a very informative post about two of the major coin industries of our time. PCGS and Heritage.

Nice post DMWJR image