Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Why don't they have an NBA 50 Greatest Autographs Set?

Hi, I was wondering why they didn't have an NBA 50 Greatest Autographs set in the PSA Set Registry? Theres a Basketball Hall of Fame Autographs set, why not 50 Greatest? Can they make one? Will they make one? Thank you for your timeimage

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Probably because it hasn't been requested. Fill out a set request, put in the required 3 cert numbers of cards/autos you already have and it will get done.
    If you send a spread sheet with the list of items to be included and weight it it will probably get done much faster.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    make that 5 cert numbers. that changed about 4 to 6 months ago. if you want it like the FB HOF auto set, you wont need weights. Its an unweighted set as any auto card of the player is allowed.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I have all 50 autos available for that set and on occasion have thought about requesting its inclusion in the registry. Unweighted is the easy way to go about it as the Basketball HOF set is currently unweighted. The question you would have to ask yourself when assigning a weight to a auto set is do the major stars Jordan,Wilt,Russell,Bird etc get the heighest weights or do you go as I believe you should in autograph collections with the highest weights placed on the autographs of the deceased players for the obvious reasons. In this set that would make the highest weight assigned go to Pistol Pete who had passed before the 1996 NBA Top 50 list appeared and since than the following players have passed, Chamberlain,Arizin,DeBusschere and Mikan. Comments and Opinions on this one would be welcome.
  • Options

<< <i>I have all 50 autos available for that set and on occasion have thought about requesting its inclusion in the registry. Unweighted is the easy way to go about it as the Basketball HOF set is currently unweighted. The question you would have to ask yourself when assigning a weight to a auto set is do the major stars Jordan,Wilt,Russell,Bird etc get the heighest weights or do you go as I believe you should in autograph collections with the highest weights placed on the autographs of the deceased players for the obvious reasons. In this set that would make the highest weight assigned go to Pistol Pete who had passed before the 1996 NBA Top 50 list appeared and since than the following players have passed, Chamberlain,Arizin,DeBusschere and Mikan. Comments and Opinions on this one would be welcome. >>

WOW, Congrats! What cards do you have for the 4 deceased players? Do you have a place were I can view your collection like a photobuckett or anything like that? Do you have a list saved or something? How long did it take you to complete all 50? Thats great man, Congrats againimage
  • Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    I have requested the set before. The problem is that you must list a specific autograph for each player. For example, if I list David Robinson's 2001 Fleer Greats college auto then that is the card everyone else would have to enter. Any David Robinson card would not do for anyone completing the set after me. Another problem is the absence of the Maravich auto card ( I know there are some now). I asked if you could register a signed check. They said no because it was not a card. What I wanted was a PSA slash PSA/DNA set just to show that I had all the auto's. I currently have 45 of the 50 in PSA holders.
  • Options
    Specific Auto's? I never heard that before. You would do this set like the Basketball HOF autograph set basically leaving each collector to fill in the blank space with the auto of his choice and in the case of Maravich and Mchale who still has not signed a authenticated card to date you would get a regular issue card that was signed by the player and PSA/DNA authenticated with a grade or if you choose just authenticated with no grade than you would get a PSA 1from the computer for the grade. With these registrys it has to be cards only. Either from the card companies or regular issue cards that are PSA/DNA authenticated. At least that is how my Basketball HOF set is set up.
  • Options

<< <i>Specific Auto's? I never heard that before. You would do this set like the Basketball HOF autograph set basically leaving each collector to fill in the blank space with the auto of his choice and in the case of Maravich and Mchale who still has not signed a authenticated card to date you would get a regular issue card that was signed by the player and PSA/DNA authenticated with a grade or if you choose just authenticated with no grade than you would get a PSA 1from the computer for the grade. With these registrys it has to be cards only. Either from the card companies or regular issue cards that are PSA/DNA authenticated. At least that is how my Basketball HOF set is set up. >>

Didn't you know that Maravich come out with a Certified auto card? He come out with a Cut Autograph from the new Chronology set. I think iuts numbered to 6 or 7. Before this card he also had a Cut Auto from a press pass product and I think that one was numbered to 5 or 6, something like that. What cards do you have for the deceased players? Are you one of the guys in the PSA Set Registry for the Basketball Hall of Fame Autographs? Thanks againimage
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have requested the set before. The problem is that you must list a specific autograph for each player. For example, if I list David Robinson's 2001 Fleer Greats college auto then that is the card everyone else would have to enter. Any David Robinson card would not do for anyone completing the set after me. Another problem is the absence of the Maravich auto card ( I know there are some now). I asked if you could register a signed check. They said no because it was not a card. What I wanted was a PSA slash PSA/DNA set just to show that I had all the auto's. I currently have 45 of the 50 in PSA holders. >>

Try again. I was told that when they upgraded their software it would be easier to have openended sets. That said the Football HOF auto is already like that. For example, an Troy Aikman auto will count. The sets not weighted though. Based on the way PSA does the weights it could be hard to weight a openended set. Say you have a Jordan auto insert card, but I have a 86-87 PSA/DNA card auto'd. For the football we have thought about having it weighted based on the difficultness of the auto. Its easy to get an Aikman auto'd card. Now try that for Curly Lambeau or George Marshall, etc. For most of those one would need a cut auto card in all likely hood.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>Specific Auto's? I never heard that before. You would do this set like the Basketball HOF autograph set basically leaving each collector to fill in the blank space with the auto of his choice and in the case of Maravich and Mchale who still has not signed a authenticated card to date you would get a regular issue card that was signed by the player and PSA/DNA authenticated with a grade or if you choose just authenticated with no grade than you would get a PSA 1from the computer for the grade. With these registrys it has to be cards only. Either from the card companies or regular issue cards that are PSA/DNA authenticated. At least that is how my Basketball HOF set is set up. >>

Just found the Pete Maravich ebay sale of a Cut auto.

PATE MARAVICH CHRONOLOGY CUT
  • Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    Why would one spend $5700+ dollars for the card with the cut check when you can buy the check for around $600? There was a McHale auto that was certified a few years ago. I don't remember the exact card but they are out there.
  • Options

<< <i>Why would one spend $5700+ dollars for the card with the cut check when you can buy the check for around $600? There was a McHale auto that was certified a few years ago. I don't remember the exact card but they are out there. >>

LOL, i'm with you on that oneimage I would want the entire check too! I think the McHale your talking about is something like Fleer Throwbacks or something, not to sure. I think I saw one a couple of years ago or so but don't have any picture of it. Surprised that nobody has listed one on ebay.
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    McHale has a certified auto???? Does anyone know for sure the set? I've been slowly putting together set of the NBA's top 50 for a couple of years now, and I've never seen one.

Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    Ive never seen any Mchale authenticated auto and Ive been collecting autographs long before I started the PSA HOF registry. Maybe I missed it. Maybe I'm in the minority but that Pistol Pete cut card looks awful and as markmac said is way overpriced. My Maravich card is a signed card that I picked up at the National in Clevland for $200 in the summer and I had it PSA/DNA authenticated on site for $50.00 (2 hour show service) and if you were to ask me to pick from the two I'll keep the one I have.

JRADKE I totally agree with you in regard to the weights of these HOFautograph registry sets being put on the more obscure Hall of Famers. There are some Deceased pre NBA players in the Basketball HOF that even the most die hard BBall collector never heard of (ex, John D Russell, Christian Steinmetz, Max Freidman and others) these players can only be represented by some cut card but good luck card companies trying to find a sig on a index card or paper just to make one or two. Believe me I try at every show/auctions/EBAY whatever and I still have not found that many.
  • Options
    I know that there was a McHale redemption card issued by Fleer before they went out of business. It was selling for around $130 but I dont think it was ever released.

I am with you on the cuts cards. I would much rather have a nice signed vintage card for a significantly lower price. Great pickup on the Maravich!!! I am still looking for one...

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    REESE hang in their I am more than positive that Mchale and Charles Barkley will eventually sign with a major card company to get out their auto cards its just a matter of time. Hey guys I never thought would be signing Authenticated cards and who were notorious non signers of anything Bill Russell,Patrick Ewing and John Stockton have more than made up for it in the last few years.

By the way my set has scans if anyone is interested . Personally I feel putting up a Auto Registry of any kind without scans kind of defeats the purpose of collecting their sigs in the first place.
  • Options

<< <i>REESE hang in their I am more than positive that Mchale and Charles Barkley will eventually sign with a major card company to get out their auto cards its just a matter of time. Hey guys I never thought would be signing Authenticated cards and who were notorious non signers of anything Bill Russell,Patrick Ewing and John Stockton have more than made up for it in the last few years.

By the way my set has scans if anyone is interested . Personally I feel putting up a Auto Registry of any kind without scans kind of defeats the purpose of collecting their sigs in the first place. >>

I know right? I agree with you on a few things. Why would people pay those huge prices for Barkley when I know he will come out with more autos and McHale will come out with some autos sooner or later. I have a Patrick Ewing auto but not Russell or Stockton. So your the guy with scans of the Set Registry? Me too but I only have 4 cards at this time LOL. I know right, having no scans really defeats the purpose because all people will have different autographed cards as were other cards sets are just the same exact card but not with autographs, they are all different and my Buddy Jeannette is a good example of that. Even though the card is numbered to 3 I belive mine is the best one because I have an original piece of college document cut and not just a plain index card. Its all about the scans man, no scans, no fun! Keep up your great set, you know it was because you that I started my Basketball HOF auto set. By the way, why does both of our Dave DeBusschere jersey auto say that there is only 1 Mint 9 in the pop when we both have a Mint 9? I would say its because i recently got that Mint 9 back but its been a while now and it still didn't fix. Whats up with that?
  • Options
    REESE hang in their I am more than positive that Mchale and Charles Barkley will eventually sign with a major card company to get out their auto cards its just a matter of time. Hey guys I never thought would be signing Authenticated cards and who were notorious non signers of anything Bill Russell,Patrick Ewing and John Stockton have more than made up for it in the last few years.

I am trying, I can't justify paying the $500 plus for Barkley and McHale will eventually sign. Other than that, I am just missing Maravich. I'm just eager to complete this set! LOL

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>REESE hang in their I am more than positive that Mchale and Charles Barkley will eventually sign with a major card company to get out their auto cards its just a matter of time. Hey guys I never thought would be signing Authenticated cards and who were notorious non signers of anything Bill Russell,Patrick Ewing and John Stockton have more than made up for it in the last few years.

I am trying, I can't justify paying the $500 plus for Barkley and McHale will eventually sign. Other than that, I am just missing Maravich. I'm just eager to complete this set! LOL

Reese >>

Thats the only 2 you need? If so, Congrats! Which Jordan and Wilt do you have? I know, those Barkley's are crazy right nowimage
  • Options
    I have a 92 UD Heroes Wilt Chamberlian GAI auto and 2005-06 Michael Jordan SP Gamed Used Jersey Auto. I actually need 3 more: Maravich, McHale, and Barkley. The Chamberlian is the only one I have that was not certified by UD, Fleer, Topps, ect... Unfortunately, I dont have anything graded but one of these days I will get around to it.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    If I come across any of them I will get back to you.
  • Options
    Thanks Goodlieu,

I just checked out your basketball Hall of Fame set. Wow, very impressive!!! Thank you for putting scans up. They look great!

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i> By the way, why does both of our Dave DeBusschere jersey auto say that there is only 1 Mint 9 in the pop when we both have a Mint 9? I would say its because i recently got that Mint 9 back but its been a while now and it still didn't fix. Whats up with that? >>

That is because PSA can't make up their mines what to call the set. upper deck at first called it 2000-01(the cards say this), Beckett had it as 2001, and psa called it 2001
    now upperdeck and Beckett both call it 2001-02
    but now PSA calls it 2000
    so the pop are all messed up because in the label for basketball PSA only list one year
    so basically now psa calls the other 2 sets
    1999 legends set PSA calls it 1999
    the 1999-00 that used to be called 2000, PSA now calls it 1999

so that confuses everything up, so it looks like two sets got released in 1999

Basically this is why the other is labeled as 2001 and yours as 2000

Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends