Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Yet another darkside grades received post ...

From across the street and a few blocks down ... somewhere in Colorado ...

Description Grade
1927 Australia Florin KM#31, Parliament House AU 55 -- paid $30, was hoping for AU 58 - MS 61
1915 Austria Corona KM#2820, Franz Joseph I AU 55 -- paid $8, was hoping for MS 61 - 62
1963 Greece 30 D KM#86, 5 Greek Kings MS 63 -- paid $12, graded as expected
1914-J Hamburg 3 Mark KM#296 AU 58 -- paid $45, thought it wold be AU 55 - 58
1911-A Prussia 3 Mark KM#531, Breslau Univ MS 63 -- paid $80, thought it would be MS 63 - 64
1953 Panama Balboa KM#21, 50th Annv. of Rep. MS 62 -- paid $30, thought it would be AU 55 - 58
1925 G.Britain Farthing KM#808.2, George V AU 58 -- paid $5, graded as expected
1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IGC is getting very tough on some World coins. What was the turnaround time like?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Turnaround is still quite good ... looks like door to door will be two weeks. The grades were e-mailed back to me and coins shipped after being at ICG for one week.

Happy Rock Wrens

Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i> 1915 Austria Corona KM#2820, Franz Joseph I AU 55 -- paid $8, was hoping for MS 61 - 62 >>

These suckers are tough to find in high grades!
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Turnaround is still quite good ... looks like door to door will be two weeks. The grades were e-mailed back to me and coins shipped after being at ICG for one week. >>

hmmm.. mine "15 day" 7 coin special is taking for ever to come to me. The last time I checked a couple of them were still out to a consultant and none of the customer service reps could tell me which ones. I was told to escalate the same to Paul and he did reply promptly but nothing seems to have happened. I think they should put a disclaimer on the 15 day grading for world coins. Only one of the errors I had was a difficult one, while the rest were plain and could be found in Krause.

End of rant. image
  • Options
    My "15 day" 7 coin special is taking forever to come to me.

The only disclaimer I found on their web site is:

Errors, Varieties & Coneca, etc: Please add five days to selected service tier

Not quite sure what to expect as I have never sent in a coin before that required being sent to an outside expert for authentication or attribution. For the most part I have been sticking with late 19th thru mid 20th century darkside and so far the longest door to door time for me has been about 2 & 1/2 weeks on a 21 day 7 coin submission. This includes the occasional submission where I included tokens or other pieces of exonumia to help round out the submission to make it total 7 pieces.

Happy Rock Wrens

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When ICG sends a coin to a consultant it can take forever. I have had 15-day service take 2 months when sent out. This is an area that ICG really needs to address.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Well ... I will see what I can do to bemuse ICG once I have enough material for another submission. I think next time around I will throw in one of the infamous coins that MadMarty hypes every now and then ...

The area coin club is hosting their annual coin show in two weeks and it usually has a good representation of darkside material there. Hmmm ... while I'm thinking about it, might as well throw in a plug ...

Johnson County KS Numismatic Society

Noticed they haven't updated the page for the coin show in a couple of years, but it is at the same location as stated on the web page. Show dates are Oct 13th & 14th.

Anyway, the quest for darkside type coins continues ... image

Happy Rock Wrens