Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Crack or Crossover

Any opinions on submitting a sgc or bgs for crossover or should you crack and submit raw?

thanks

fastwillie
Current #1 Hines Ward Master Set
Current #1 Hines Ward Basic Set
Current #1 Ben Roethlisberger Master Set
Current #1 Ben Roethlisberger Basic Set
Current #1 Jack Lambert Master Set
Current #1 Jack Lambert Basic Set
Current #1 Jerome Bettis Basic Set
Current #2 Jerome Bettis Master Set
Current #1 Franco Harris Basic Set
Current #2 Franco Harris Master Set
Current #1 Jack Ham Master Set

succesful deals with CDsNuts and Bkritz thanks

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    From what I have read on here, do not send it in the holder, crack and submitt raw.
  • Options
    Tough call, I have submitted an 1954-56 Spic-Span of Hank Aaron setting nicely in an SGC 92 holder three times (in the holder) trying to cross to PSA 8, and failed every time. I believe that it is worth vastly more as an SCG 92, than in a PSA 6, 7 or worse. I still cannot see what they are seeing in not making it an 8....oh well!!
    I NEED HANKS!!!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Crack = best chances of getting it crossed over.

However, if it is does not cross over (specifically with Beckett, if it is a sheet cut card, for example), you may be stuck with a raw card that you can't unload because it is no longer in the holder that it was in prior to cracking.

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Both is the lowest risk.
    In the holder first.
    If it doesn't make it you can always crack.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the price of the card (and your personal opinion on what an expensive card is)

If it is expensive, cross it over (ex: GAI 8 Cracker Jacks)

If it isn't definitely crack (ex: 1951 Bowman common in a 7 or 8)
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Ok, I've read all over the boards folks discussing why it's better to crack than cross.

Is this based on theory, or actual experience with trying this out?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this based on theory, or actual experience with trying this out? >>

In my case, actual experience.

In the example above, if you have a Cracker Jack graded GAI 8, you have virtually no chance of it crossing into a PSA 7. Crack it and you're about 50-50 for an 7, 10% for an 8.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I have probably submitted about 40 for crossover and cracked another 30 or so (often different cards) from resub.
    ABout 50-50 in crossover and about 25% upgrades from crack outs.
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.