Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Forum Diversity and "new blood"

There are many new faces that have surfaced within the last year or so (too numerous to mention) who have turned into fairly frequent posters.

This has created a diversity in posting that has generated enthusiasm and responses (from my unofficial observations) in both young and "old" forum members alike.

I just want to say that the PCGS World and Ancient Coin Forum is an interesting, busy, and informative place today (as it was in the past), and I hope, the forum that PCGS and its members wants it to be.image
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    image You are right Laurent - This forum is a class act.
    Shep
  • Options
    Thats because there are some classy people here.
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I guess I fall into the "old" group. I agree with Laurent, the newer membership adds a fresh view and keeps us out of a rut.

Way back in 2001 when I joined I said that this collection of people was the finest to be found anywhere on the internet and I believe that is still true! I have made many friends here who I believe will be friends for life. I remember the first time I was able to get together with a group of Darksiders (at the 2003 ANA show in Charlotte, NC), it was the first time many of us had seen each other in person, but it was like we were old friends.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys rock - the best bunch of people on the 'net! image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember the first time I was able to get together with a group of Darksiders (at the 2003 ANA show in Charlotte, NC), it was the first time many of us had seen each other in person, but it was like we were old "drunks". >>

Yes, indeed.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Eald Deathlic Cyning

I still remember your agonies, oh aged one, at what title would fall on your shoulders when you reached the appropriate post level...

So, now we must simply call you, "he who must not be mentioned".

First because no one can pronounce the original honorific...
    second, because we want to use a line from an obscure fantasy...image and
    third, a notorious English barrister uses it in reference to his wife, "she" of course.

Naturally, I prefer the lines from
    Archy and Mahitabel by Don Marquis (and be thankful I didn't bring these up when you were name searching)
    when Archy the (can't say coc*) roach interviews the mummy of the Pharaoh at the
    Metropolitan museum (who has been thirsting for beer for centuries) and calls him variously:

"My regal leatherface,
    kingly has-been,
    old tan and tarry,
    majestic mackeral,
    imperial pretzel,
    princely raisin,
    divine drouth,
    imperial fritter,
    poor prune,
    my reverend juicelessness,
    the royal dessication".

Any of which might fit your regal personage...image

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys rock - the best bunch of people on the 'net! >>

What do you mean 'you guys'?? You are a 'you guy' image.

I do agree with the sentiment. I haven't met many of you (I did get to eat noodles in Tokyo with Roy which was totally awesome, and then I met a few more in Baltimore--no noodles that time), but I certainly feel like I know alot of you pretty well. I'm not nearly the serious collector or student of numismatics that so many here are, a mere dilettante in comparasion, but no on seems to mind.

I dig reading these boards (I read the liteside ones for the soap opera content...) and I have a huge amount more interest and appreciation for history and world events. I also appreciate the many diverse interests--ranging from ancients, to hammered, to tokens, to modern bullion. Quite a variety and no once complains about what constitutes a 'real' collection.

Too cool.

Cathy

• Options
    I like the ring of several of those Laurent. As I recall I even ran a contest to help me find a title (and used none of the suggestions given).image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>but no on seems to mind. >>

Cathy,

Truth be told we are blessed to have you here!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>but no on seems to mind. >>

Cathy,

Truth be told we are blessed to have you here! >>

• Options
    I like reading and posting on these Darkside threads very much.

I have discovered many cool coin types on here and subsequently have bought some of them.

It's also great that there are many knowledgable people about certain topics who are only too happy to share their experiences and thoughts.

Keep it up guys........and gals. image
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Laurent, that's a very interesting thread. I agree with all the nice people who posted before me,and especially Aethelred's "friends for life" comment. image

Here's something that I have noticed. Very often, we have newcomers, or just passers by ,who ask a question that has been asked many times before. Even though most of us know the answer, noone among the older members is getting into the "trouble" of replying, and it's totally understandable, there is a limit to how many times you are going to repeat the same thing over and over again. Fortunately, the newer members are gladly filling this gap, and we keep on going.

What I appreciate most here, more than the vast knowledge or the chatting with friends via PM, is the level of ethics that the members have and inspire to each other. And that's really priceless.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    What I appreciate most here, more than the vast knowledge or the chatting with friends via PM, is the level of ethics that the members have and inspire to each other. And that's really priceless.

Supremely important point!image

Virtually all members give each other a level of trust they can believe in.image

And yes, it is very much in keeping with the "passing of the torch"
    to allow newer members to answer oft-asked and older questions...image
  • Options
    I know you lite siders aren't going to like this--but I have been reading both the u.s. coin forum and the world forum--and by far the classier people belong to the world forum. You don't see any back biting or down playing or inappropriate language on this forum. I applaud you all you dark siders.
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh well...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    classy and fun
  • Options
    and by far the classier people belong to the world forum.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

You obviously haven't seen the PM's we send each other. image
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a great place to visit and if I didn't live so close by I'd have to move here. image
    Tempus fugit.