Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

First Strikes - Isn't it time???

Isn't it about time that PCGS consider putting ALL of the First Strike graded coins in the Eagle with First Strike sets? Currently there are several sets that represent silver. gold. platinum and the combination of such as complete with First Strikes when none of the silver First Strikes before 2005 as well as the gold proof FSs issued in 2005. It seems to me that if PCGS has a set that is US Silver Eagles Complete with First Strikes then it would include any year in which PCGS graded a first Strike silver Eagle and there are some 13 different years that are excluded as a result. What is your thought on this? image

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Griv - Just ask BJ to do it. Why wouldn't they? Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Amazing how so many others care about this. image It seems I must be the only smuck to buy the older First Strikes. image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I buy em as well so you're not really alone.

I have an 88 and a 1990 SAE FS and I would like to see these added to the registry sets.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Since there is no difference between a "First Strike" and a non-FS coin, I believe that all FS coins should just show-up as coins of that date.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>Since there is no difference between a "First Strike" and a non-FS coin, I believe that all FS coins should just show-up as coins of that date. >>

They do except in the sets are specific to First Strike. The beef with that is a First Strike then no longer counts toward a non-FS slot as it does in the regular sets which means you would have to downgrade a FS to a non-FS if that's all you had.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually Steve, there is a big difference betwen a First Strike™ and a non-First Strike™. That difference is in the slab only but it is a big difference especially for coins prior to 2005. As time marches on, the number of unopened green monster boxes for those early years diminishes greatly and the number that were delivered within 30 days after initial release diminishes the numbers even more. Its all in the qualification of the coin and then the label but its what some of us "collect".

Numismatically, there is no difference but to get that First Strike™ label on the slab is a huge crap shoot for the submitter of unopened Green Monster boxes. Obvously there is no difference in the coins themselves because its all in the label and realistically, these labels are absolutely no different than say the 2000 Millenium Silver Eagle labels (which in and of themselves bring a huge premium) or the 20th Anniversary Proof Labels. Its just a label which some of us collect. Some others are the American Heros series (Jessica Lynch, Tommy Franks, and Lance Armstrong) with very limited editions.

Since PCGS does have a Registry Set for Silver Eagles including First Strike™ coins, whay not include all the known First Strike slabs instead of just the 2005, 2006, and 2007's?

I've seen and coin numbers exist for 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004. I would be very surprised if 1986 amd 1987 turned up but then I was surprised when 1988 turned up so why not? It is possible to get every one of the Silver Eagles in a First Strike slab but not very probable.

At any rate, I have asked the registry folks if they plan on doing this anytime soon. Hopefully, yes but more than likely, not very soon!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!