Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Paging Lord M

Another possibility for the Holey Coin Vestments ....

1875 Bavaria 5 Marks
1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Thanks. I might keep an eye on it.

I'm not so sure I like the twin holes, but ... maybe.

Should you ever stumble across some holey 17th-18th century thalers and/or klippes that are affordable, do let me know.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bad placement of the 2 holes..... if they were opposite then you could have used it as a button for your vest.....
  • Options
    I'm sure it was once hung on a ribbon like a military medal would've been. Or like some watch fobs. I have seen this two-hole placement before, usually on smaller coins like British 3d and US 3c silvers.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought about this too. I guess that it prevents it from turning around and showing the reverse, if you wear it on your chest with a little chain. It was hippie-fashionable to wear old silver crowns like that in the 70s as I was told by my aunt.image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    tHAT'S TR

Whoopsie.

That's true, too... it could've had opposite ends of a chain connected to each of those holes.

• Options
    Well ... hopefully this one will prove more tempting ...

Austria Franz II ¼ AR Kronenthaler "1797 B"

Happy Rock Wrens

Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    Would be, but I've got one. image

PS- thanks for the link- I might bid on that one anyway. I like the hole placement on my 1797-C better, but that one is higher grade than mine.

• Options
    Well ... think I might have found yet another possibility ...

1/2 KRONENTHALER 1798 FRANCISCUS II

Happy Rock Wrens

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well ... think I might have found yet another possibility ...

1/2 KRONENTHALER 1798 FRANCISCUS II >>

Be careful - hunting coins for the Lord can become an addictive habit. Lately when I'm at local shows & coin club, I just browse for me, but always ask to see holeys & love tokens... Sometimes the hunt for someone else can be as fun as the hunt for yourself though image
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    Well ... fortunately when it comes to some things I have selective amnesia; otherwise, I probably would have already picked up something to pick on him with. At the last local show I went to a dealer had an 1857 Seated Half Dime with Arrows that was holed. Passed on it as I wasn't sure if the Holey One was doing Half Dimes ... image

Happy Rock Wrens