Home Sports Talk
Options

A request to the baseball Gods

stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
Please let the Phillies be in the playoffs and I promise to give up drinking and wild women - it'll be strictly milk and dating only librarians and Sunday School teachers - I promise.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lying to God will not get the Phillies in, Steve....

though the putrid Mets bullpen may!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Lying to God will not get the Phillies in, Steve....

though the putrid Mets bullpen may!

image >>

You're probably right and if memory serves me I've made this promise before and it didn't work. I'm just desperate and all of Philly is desperate for some sports excitement.
  • Options

<< <i>Your prayers are falling on deaf ears. God is a Yankee fan!

Besides, you're giving up WAY too much just to get in the playoffs. >>

Well, I had already given up gambling, drugs, and smoking so that's about all I have to offer. image

And you're right, I was probably giving up way too much so perhaps I should place a stipulation on it such as "only on Mondays" - LOL
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I just got off the phone with Ryan Howard, he says the playoffs are no problem this year, he actually was talking about ring sizes!

JS
  • Options

<< <i>I just got off the phone with Ryan Howard, he says the playoffs are no problem this year, he actually was talking about ring sizes!

JS >>

I'd love to see Howard get one. Phillies have a remarkable nationwide fan base such as Kevin. For a number of reasons, the Phillies for the past 50 years have usually had a good group of interesting, hustling players even in their losing years, and in their winning years there's a long list of great ballplayers. Just too many years of being snakebit for a variety of reasons.

I figure it's got to even out I think, and hopefully say around 50 years from now the Phillies will surpass the Yankees for most World Series victories. Delusional? Of course. Hopeful? Why not! image
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    good luck wiht that!!!!!!!!!

go phils and cubs!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>Your prayers are falling on deaf ears. God is a Yankee fan! >>

I've heard it differently. George sold his soul to the devil years ago. Yankees fans can cheer in this life, but will be taking balls to the chin in their next.
  • Options
    I'd love to see Howard get one. Phillies have a remarkable nationwide fan base such as Kevin. For a number of reasons, the Phillies for the past 50 years have usually had a good group of interesting, hustling players even in their losing years, and in their winning years there's a long list of great ballplayers. Just too many years of being snakebit for a variety of reasons.

The "Nation" always has a soft spot for losers. You can use the Cubs for an example
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options

<< <i>I'd love to see Howard get one. Phillies have a remarkable nationwide fan base such as Kevin. For a number of reasons, the Phillies for the past 50 years have usually had a good group of interesting, hustling players even in their losing years, and in their winning years there's a long list of great ballplayers. Just too many years of being snakebit for a variety of reasons.

The "Nation" always has a soft spot for losers. You can use the Cubs for an example >>

I hadn't thought of that - you just might be right about that. But I think a lot of baseball fans nationwide really liked those Philly teams of Schmidt, Carlton, Luzinski, Bowa, Boone, Maddox, etc., and of course in 1980 with Rose added to the mix, they finally got it done - a heckuva group of ballplayers there.

But overall losers? - over 10,000 reasons and counting...so you just might be right.
  • Options
    Stevek,

To be honest, I always had one eye on the Phillies back in those days. Was a fan of old Lenny Dykstra. He grew up a few miles from where I did.

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options

<< <i>Stevek,

To be honest, I always had one eye on the Phillies back in those days. Was a fan of old Lenny Dykstra. He grew up a few miles from where I did. >>

Those Dykstra, Dalton, etc., teams were also fun to watch as well...not as much talent as the other teams mentioned but a lot of heart and never any quit in them. And I think those dynamics basically continue with this Philly team...a number of interesting players...I just hope they can get it done.
  • Options
    Okay, okay I hear ya already, I won't go out with that hot waitress over the weekend - I'll date her only on Mondays like I promised. Could I maybe go out with her on Friday nights as well and maybe have a few beers also? Okay, okay I heard the answer but I had to ask again. Now don't forget about the Phillies!
  • Options
    Woke up, got out of bed and dragged my lazy arse to the coffee pot, picked up the paper and O-H M-Y G-O-D

The Phillies are in 1st place .

There is a GOD

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've seen some pretty hot Sunday School teachers in my day, so i'm pullin' for you!!image
  • Options
    I've been a Phillies fan since way back when the outfield consisted of Callison, Gonzalez and Briggs.
    Nice to see a September charge rather than the usual September swoon
  • Options

<< <i>I've been a Phillies fan since way back when the outfield consisted of Callison, Gonzalez and Briggs.
    Nice to see a September charge rather than the usual September swoon >>

And don't forget Jim Bunning and that Perfect Game he pitched with those players, although I can't remember the team he pitched it against and the stadium he threw it in.

Does anyone here remember the team and stadium? image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was in 1965 or 66. The team and the park would merely be a guess on my part.

I stand corrected... it was 1964. I know the name of the team and it would not have been my first choice

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Okay I had some Sam Adams ale but that's not really a bad drink is it? It's more like a gourmet specially prepared beverage made from various strands of grasses right? What's wrong with that?

And Bridgett...better get out of here before they see you here - Besides your restaurant opens up in a few hours for breakfast and you don't want to be late for work.