Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How do you crack open a graded card in order to resubmit it....

I feel the pain of those who believe the grading has gotten tougher lately. I got a bunch of cards back from the June special that were IMO were about a grade too low. In some of the threads I see that people talk about cracking open PSA and other companies (BGS, SGC, etc.) graded cards and then resubmitting the "raw" card back to PSA in the see if it will grade higher. I am hoping the people who do this can answer some questions.

a.) How do you crack open a graded PSA card and prevent damage to the card in the process?
b.) Doesn't cracking open a PSA card mess up the population reports? I would think so.
c.) Do you notify PSA at any point to let them know that cert number xxxxxx was destroyed so the population report is updated?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
WANTLIST
1992 Topps FB Golds (72% complete)
1997 Topps FB Minted in Canton (10% complete)
1999 Topps FB Record Numbers Gold (80% complete)
2001 Topps FB MVP Promotion (35% complete)

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    A. SGC and PSA holders are very easy to crack. Put a thin bladed screwdriver in between the seams and twist. Do the same all around the holder, and then pry it apart.

B. Yes, it does mess up the pop reports, but everyone else has a 10 year head start on you. Use the pop reports as a rough guide, rather than absolute gospel.

C. In theory yes, but I've heard the pop reports are often never adjusted.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Has anyone ever sent back the info field to PSA and noticed a drop in the card's population for that grade?
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    First I score all four sides of the case several times with a small screwdriver. Then I use it to work on a spot to the upper right side where the label is and work the screwdriver in. After I can get the screwdriver in slightly, I just slide it down seperating the two halves and do all four sides. Then just lift off the top.

This does throw off the pop report................but does it really matter when you pop out a 5 or a 6? It would be more important to the pop report if you pop out a 9.

Good luck,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    For those of us that collect primarily 5's and 6's, it's still be nice to have those numbers accurately represented. Whether they are or not is debatable.

Doug
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I think that by this time the pop reports, especially in mid grades, are so far off they really can't be used as anything other than a rough guide. You can tell relatively what is a tougher card, but not how many are out there. Perhaps a more accurate representation is the set registry, keeping in mind a large % of cards never make it on there- especially in mid grade.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I read an article where Orlando was interviewed and he stated that if a card has been graded 100 times per the population report that means that that is the maximum amount of possible individual cards graded. Meaning that it could be 70 total cards out there with 30 being graded twice by cracking and reslabbing. BVG was a pain to bust.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    When I was tracking pop reports for 1985 Topps Football a while back, I did notice a pop change.

A particular card went from 2 nines and 0 tens to 1 nine and 1 ten. Someone got a bump.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Interesting info. Thanks guys. A follow-up question - Does anyone crack open 7 and 8's - especially the modern stuff to get 9's and 10's since 9's and 10's appear to be the only thing that is worth anything?
    WANTLIST
    1992 Topps FB Golds (72% complete)
    1997 Topps FB Minted in Canton (10% complete)
    1999 Topps FB Record Numbers Gold (80% complete)
    2001 Topps FB MVP Promotion (35% complete)
  • Options

<< <i>Doesn't cracking open a PSA card mess up the population reports? I would think so >>

YEP,

As the other have said use it as a rough guide only.... I would think that the PSA 10 POP report would be the only accurate one.
  • Options
    ask lawnmowerman about cracking BGS/SGC/GAI, he is an expert....
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting info. Thanks guys. A follow-up question - Does anyone crack open 7 and 8's - especially the modern stuff to get 9's and 10's since 9's and 10's appear to be the only thing that is worth anything? >>

Depends on what you're talking about. With 1950s cards -- sometimes the multiplier from a 7 to an 8 can be worth 100x if not more. 1955 Bowman Eddie Robinson would be one example of a card that would have a huge increase from PSA 7 to PSA 8.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    PSA cases come apart way too easy. Sometimes with no damage to the case. I have always worried that someone would switch cards and neatly reseal the case. I wish PSA would use a case that would not come apart so easily.
  • Options
    I have submitted a number of 66 T FB over that were high end 8's. A typical multiplier on a common between 8's and 9's is 15X to 20X. Don't have to be right too often.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.