Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Is $36,800 for real on this Gothic??? Yep, it's real!!!

Comments

• coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Holy cow! Blew FAR past the estimates.... stunning coin though... one of a kind.

Where's that winning lottery ticket when you need it?
  • Couple guys bidding on the phone seemed to really like that coin.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Couple guys bidding on the phone seemed to really like that coin. >>

image I think it sold for a little over $8k in May 2006.

And to think I was depressed when learning a far nicer specimen than this 65CAM had sold via PT for over $12k.image
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrifc coin with a staggering price realized... that is much, much more tha I would be willing to pay.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched the bidding for that one on-line. Couldn't believe the closing price, as well.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

And to think I was depressed when learning a far nicer specimen than this 65CAM had sold via PT for over $12k.image >>

Depressed because you were not involved in that PT? image

It looks like a great coin anyway, even if this firm exaggerates the colours of their coins a bit. Besides, it's a plain edge, not the more common undecimo variety. The consignor must be very happy. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, outrageous price. Nice coin but price-dependent I am not "feeling" it.Why, oh why would this coin bring such a price as even the 1853 in .999 should not bring this money and that is known to be vastly scarcer.

I concede the toning to be nice but cannot say it is NOT AT. Wow, what does this mean for a nice proof 1862 or 1864 halfcrown that would be beautiful and enormously more rare.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

<< <i>

<< <i>

And to think I was depressed when learning a far nicer specimen than this 65CAM had sold via PT for over $12k.image >>

Depressed because you were not involved in that PT? image

It looks like a great coin anyway, even if this firm exaggerates the colours of their coins a bit. Besides, it's a plain edge, not the more common undecimo variety. The consignor must be very happy. image >>

How'd you guess? image

And I believe that dated to 2001; before my time as it were. And yes, the colours are lighter. I've seen lot 455, and it is considerably darker than the reddish hues shown, but still a nice coin.

7J; yep those are multiple hundreds if not a thousand times rarer, but popularity (demand) is what drives the bidders. Maybe they'll one day get their due.
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    In 2004 we were discussing prices on similar coins in the 64/65 range that we thought were outrageous at $5000 to 6k.

Is Cosmic turning over in his gr..., er, bed at this point?image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I think Cacheman had a 62, 64 and a 66. I don't know if he still has any of his, however.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    The thing about it is that there are still quite a few not encapsulated that would be aesthetically as nice over in Merry Olde, and cheaper despite exchange rates...That is simply too much for the coin.
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Cacheman had a 62, 64 and a 66. I don't know if he still has any of his, however.

imageimageimage >>

They were 64, 65, and 66 undecimo's... I can't believe Goldman only got 8K for me on my 66 just after the SF ANA show. image Traded the 64 for Goetz material and sold the 65 privately.

As usual, I sold too early...
    Now for the Coinkat Auction commentary that may not be worth reading...

The Gothic Crown is very attractive and there is obvious demand for this coin. It can be promoted because there are enough of them to promote. This example is very attractive, but by no means is rare... especially among British Crowns. What I almost find comical is that a 1739 Crown that was graded 62 by NGC sold in the same Goldberg auction for 2100 and that may be the only one graded MS by NGC or PCGS... the reason I say almost comical in part is due to the presence of a 1746 LIMA Crown graded MS63 by NGC which is the most common of the George II Crowns, but it had a higher estimate and sold for 3150 which is 1050 more than the 1739 (does not include 15% buyers premium). I guess some would argue that the historical significance of the LIMA creates demand... I tend to say that is nonsense and this is just another example of a coin can be promoted because there are enough of them floating around. I think the same can be said of the Cromwell Crown... I can not recall a major auction not having one over the past 3-5 years, yet the prices have increased fairly dramatically.

Now, if you compare either any George I Crown in MS or even the most common of the Geroge II Crown in MS, it is clear that they are far more difficult to find than a Gothic Crown. However, the interest and overall appeal of the Gothic Crown combined with how it can be promoted changes the numismatic landscape...

<< <i>Now for the Coinkat Auction commentary that may not be worth reading...

The Gothic Crown is very attractive and there is obvious demand for this coin. It can be promoted because there are enough of them to promote. This example is very attractive, but by no means is rare... especially among British Crowns. What I almost find comical is that a 1739 Crown that was graded 62 by NGC sold in the same Goldberg auction for 2100 and that may be the only one graded MS by NGC or PCGS... the reason I say almost comical in part is due to the presence of a 1746 LIMA Crown graded MS63 by NGC which is the most common of the George II Crowns, but it had a higher estimate and sold for 3150 which is 1050 more than the 1739 (does not include 15% buyers premium). I guess some would argue that the historical significance of the LIMA creates demand... I tend to say that is nonsense and this is just another example of a coin can be promoted because there are enough of them floating around. I think the same can be said of the Cromwell Crown... I can not recall a major auction not having one over the past 3-5 years, yet the prices have increased fairly dramatically.

Now, if you compare either any George I Crown in MS or even the most common of the Geroge II Crown in MS, it is clear that they are far more difficult to find than a Gothic Crown. However, the interest and overall appeal of the Gothic Crown combined with how it can be promoted changes the numismatic landscape... >>

Game-Set-Match.image

About the only way one can realize higher prices for the aforementioned "rarer" brethren is if they are part of a complete collection of crowns or a complete FDC type/date run of a given Monarch. O/W, it seems they languish.image
    I am going to coin hell for the typo... Geroge II... Oh the shame...image

• wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    That's some lucky seller. Good for him/her. It is nice but not $32k nice.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

<< <i>That's some lucky seller. Good for him/her. It is nice but not $32k nice. >>

Actually, the gross price was $36,800.

That's OK, Coinkat. Geroge CoinKat II. image That kinda has a ring to it. image
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As colorful as the online image is, the catalog image was far more spectacular, and I think that has to be what drove the price into the stratosphere. Unfortunately, the coin looked far more ordinary in hand. I'd call it a solid 65 with modestly attractive original color. I was not the winning bidder, or even the underbidder.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

• << <i>As colorful as the online image is, the catalog image was far more spectacular, and I think that has to be what drove the price into the stratosphere. Unfortunately, the coin looked far more ordinary in hand. I'd call it a solid 65 with modestly attractive original color. I was not the winning bidder, or even the underbidder. >>

I thought the color was well beyond 'modestly attractive', but it still seemed like a lot of dough to me.
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Just a product of Dollar devaluationimage
    Well, not sure about that as even if it was the pound equivalent but in dollars it would still be 18k. If people agree with me that the price was too high, then what price would they consider reasonable?

I can see how an exceptionally nice one may go for 8k, but they are still too available to honestly make even that price as I have seen VERY nice specimens at 2k pounds - so nice that I am not at all sure this piece would surpass, at least from the 'net and catalogue pictures.

• << <i>In 2004 we were discussing prices on similar coins in the 64/65 range that we thought were outrageous at $5000 to 6k.

Is Cosmic turning over in his gr..., er, bed at this point?image >>

I think you meant to say Cacheman and not me. image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • As someone else noted above, I'm willing to be that the coin did not look so stunning in hand. And we all know that's why it got the price it got.

The pics in the catalog and online are great but I'll bet it looked "ordinary" in hand....image
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

Hail... hail Freedonia... land of the brave and free!

• << <i>

<< <i>Actually, the gross price was $36,800. >>

Don't forget insured shipping!
    Roy

Hopefully the competition will spend up their money on this overpriced crap....