Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Amazing Price Increase

About a year ago, this was a $150 coin, which is what the 2005 Krause lists it at. I've seen the last 3 or 4 sell for a bit under $400, and now this one at $920 with four bidders over $900??? During the same time period the proof version has gone from $50 to $140.

What's driving the market on these? are they going back to China???

I stole one off ebay several years ago for $12, probably the best coin purchase I've ever made image

Comments

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    a lot of better darkside and US stuff is heading to Chinese collectors. I know an ebay seller that sold off his GB and Vicky collection to focus on other things. he had some nice high three figure and mid four figure coins that were pretty much all purchased by seasoned Chinese collectors. I lost quite a few of these auctions to them, and he admitted this to me; 75% of his Vicky GB stuff (Gothic, Jub Crowns and proof Crowns) went to these two or three collectors in China. i think we'll see more nice stuff continue to make its way to China as they get more and more of our money.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>a lot of better darkside and US stuff is heading to Chinese collectors. I know an ebay seller that sold off his GB and Vicky collection to focus on other things. he had some nice high three figure and mid four figure coins that were pretty much all purchased by seasoned Chinese collectors. I lost quite a few of these auctions to them, and he admitted this to me; 75% of his Vicky GB stuff (Gothic, Jub Crowns and proof Crowns) went to these two or three collectors in China. i think we'll see more nice stuff continue to make its way to China as they get more and more of our money. >>

One of these days their currency will be revalued and it will be very difficult to compete with them.

I've bought every cash coin I've seen since Mao said they were allowing some capitalism in the country. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    The emergence of the Chinese middle class the driving the coin market.

My assumption is:

A certain percentage of the population likes shinny things

A subset of those who like shinny things like coins

People who like shinny things like coins in China have money now image.

Of course when I see stuff like this I think they have too much money or are crazy.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How safe is it to ship coins to China?
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    Shipping to China is fine, register it if you want to, but I've had no problems whatsoever.