Home Sports Talk
Options

Westbrook: Could Be Best In The Game Today

stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
Article from the Eagles website:

Westbrook: Could Be Best In The Game Today

We are witnessing something special here. Enjoy it. Savor it, because you don't know how long it is going to last. Brian Westbrook is playing at a different level than anyone else on the field these days. It is not difficult to notice. The man is a highlight film every time he touches the ball, and it makes me wonder if there is anybody out there, on any team, that is playing as well as Westbrook right now.

It certainly has more to do with numbers, although Westbrook's are as good as anybody's after three games. He has 291 rushing yards and 223 receiving yards in three games and his 514 yards from scrimmage lead the league. The Eagles know that when Westbrook has the ball in his hands, he is going to make something good happen.

But Westbrook has always been more than numbers. His value is not diminished when he touches the ball less frequently than other running backs. In fact, Westbrook's value sometimes INCREASES because his very presence forces defenses to alter their coverages and shade to his side of the field.

Now, with the numbers as they are, though, the rest of the league is taking notice of what a superstar the Eagles have in No. 36. And I'm here to suggest, on this feeling-really-good-about-the-Eagles day that Westbrook is the best running back in the NFL right now.

You read it right.

The best running back in the NFL right now.

Brian Westbrook.

I'll argue that Westbrook could have made a legitimate claim last year when he was such a vital part of the Eagles' late-season turnaround fifth NFC East title in six seasons. Westbrook accounted for nearly 2,000 yards from the line of scrimmage last year and he showed the kind of durability that puts a running back in the category of ""great.""

Through three games in 2007, Westbrook has gone to an entirely different level. Even as the Eagles offense struggled in the first two games, Westbrook shined. He was the best player on the field against both Green Bay and Washington, and he made Detroit look absolutely silly on Sunday.

Westbrook gained 131 yards of offense in Green Bay – 85 on the ground, 46 in the passing game – and then followed up with another 162 yards of offense against Washington – 96 rushing, 66 receiving – before the incredible game on Sunday.

Even more amazing is that Westbrook has just 70 touches, which he has turned into 514 yards and three touchdowns.

His numbers, then, are catching up with his enormous value and ability.

What makes Westbrook so unusual is the entire package he brings to the table. He has incredible vision and balance. Westbrook's quick feet enable to stop and start and change direction effortlessly, leaving defenders grasping at air. On the screen pass that Westbrook caught and turned into a touchdown on Sunday, he broke three tackles, was nearly tripped up before finding his feet again and then pulled away from the pack once he got into the clear.

It was nearly as spectacular a run as Westbrook had in last year's game in Tampa Bay against the Bucs, when he caught a Donovan McNabb pass and made five defenders miss on the way to an unforgettable touchdown.

Westbrook is the entire menu of what a running back needs to be. He runs with power between the tackles and also has the burst to get to the edge and turn his run up the field. Westbrook is so amazingly low to the ground that it is hard for defenders to get a good look at him, and he is able to stay on his feet and is strong enough to withstand a big hit.

I've been to every Eagles game since 1987 and in that time the Eagles have had some good running backs. Ricky Watters, Duce Staley and Herschel Walker had their moments of greatness. All three were versatile and productive and extremely valuable. But none of them was to the Eagles and to the NFL what Westbrook is right now.

I know that LaDainian Tomlinson is regarded as the best in the business, but I also see how he has struggled to begin the season. There are players with better stats – Pittsburgh's Willie Parker leads the league in rushing – but there is nobody who gives his team what Westbrook gives the Eagles – the ability to line up all over the formation, the receiving skills, the speed, the toughness in blocking.

The week-to-week challenge with Westbrook has always been to find the right amount to give him the ball. Westbrook has an abdominal strain and is considered day to day at the moment, so the Eagles likely won't know until late in the week if he is going to play on Sunday night against the Giants. Keep your fingers crossed. Westbrook missed most of last week – he worked only on Friday – while recovering from a sore knee, so the young man is going to spend another long week in the training room to be ready to go against the Giants.

Is he a player you give 25 to 30 handoffs to and play him until he drops? Or is it smarter to work in Westbrook judiciously and keep him as fresh as possible?

Ask Eagles players and they will tell you that Westbrook is the finest player they have ever blocked for. He is clearly one of the best running backs in franchise history – Westbrook was actually voted onto the 75th Anniversary Team as a punt returner – and the best – fingers crossed for good health – is yet to come.

This is rarified air we are seeing from No. 36. He is killing defenses right now, just killing them. The Eagles have a little something going on offense heading into New York. Westbrook is the focal point, along with quarterback Donovan McNabb. The idea is to get Westbrook the ball, get him a crease and watch him go.

It is so much fun to see. Westbrook, right now, right at this moment, is the best in the league. He deserves the attention, the accolades – and the ball.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure he has the best stats right now, but no freakin' way is he better than LT!
  • Options
    Addai and marion barber III are two less obvious choices that i feel are better than Westbrook.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Westbrook is pretty darn good on those screen passes. He seemsto make the right cuts and follows his blockers very well. He is having a great year.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Why not post something non Philadelphia related?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    What a bunch of crap - and I do mean crap.

There are 10, maybe even 15 RB's playing today that are better than Westbrook. I don't dislike him, and I think he's a tough player, but c'mon man. One great fantasy football day he has, and this writer decides to hit the crack pipe.
  • Options
    Top 3?

And talk about biased...funny that this article after he has one good game.

Best in the game today?

• Options

<< <i>Yes Top 3. Because he does all the thing that Reggie Bush was SUPPOSE to do. If he doesn't look as flashy when he runs, I could care less. >>

Who said anything about reggie bush?

How about these all a better choice at RB than Westbrook:

LT (duh)
    Alexander
    LJ
    Addai
    Gore
    Maroney
    Jackson
    Parker
    Portis

I think I'd rather have any of them than Westbrook. now that's not a swipe at westbrook who has had a fine career, but let's be serious now. He's always been an injury risk, he's never played 16 games, last year was the first year he eclipsed 300 touches, and has broken 1000 yards exactly once. Not really top 3 material if you ask me.
  • Options

<< <i>Looking at that list, I have no problems taking Westbrook Top 3 unless we're picking for nostalgia's sake. >>

Nostalgia's sake?

LT is nostalgic? What about Alexander? Addai? Maroney? Gore? These are all 'nostalgic' picks? Steven Jackson? Willie Parker? All young runners without the history of breaking down and unable to carry the load that Westbrook has been saddled with? There's a reason that Westbrook hasn't sniffed 300 carries, he's just not built to take it. It's not his fault, we are talking the best of the best here.

Steven Jackson had 436 touches last year, 2324 total yards. Gore, 373 touches for over 2100 total yards. LJ, 457 (!) touches for over 2200 yards. These are the best of the best. Westbrook has been a great player in spots, he's just not durable enough to be an every down back, and therefore, I don't see how you possibly give him top 3 consideration.

Let me ask you this: you have the #3 pick in your fantasy draft, is Westbrook your pick?
  • Options
    Let's start this scenario then:

You have an imaginary team you are building, and you are allowed to take 3 RBs. Westbrook is in that three?
  • Options
    So let me get this straight:

you are the GM of an imaginary football team, you are given 3 picks at RB...Westbrook is who you take #1 overall?
  • Options
    I just want you to tell me that of all the running backs in the league, you want westbrook #1 overall.

• Options
    I would take a healthy Westbrook #1 overall. The problem is that Westbrook can be prone to injury. For example he might not play in this week's game.
  • Options

<< <i>More incoherent babbling from Ax. Make some sense why don't you! >>

I didn't realize my wanting you to say outright that you would take Westbrook #1 overall (over LT, SJAx, etc.) was 'incoherent babbling'.

Westbrook, as has been pointed out, is quite prone to injury, isn't an every down back, isn't reliable enough to take 300+ carries, yet you want him #1 overall.

• Options

<< <i>Find me the part where I said I'd take him #1. I said he has more ability to be used in a more diverse way than any other back. That is different from saying that he is the back I would take #1 overall. But you are too stupid to comprehend simple statements. >>

then...

<< <i>All the more so if I have the other 2 picks because Westbrook is Number 1 as a running back in terms of his multi-purpose skillset. >>

I rest my case, ladies and gentlemen.
  • Options

<< <i>I would take a healthy Westbrook #1 overall. The problem is that Westbrook can be prone to injury. For example he might not play in this week's game. >>

The only reason anybody would do this is if they are a homer. As many have/would say, he's certainly a solid player. Health issues alone should keep him out of the top 5 of anybodys wish list. Still, good production and Philly is fortunate to have him.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    gotta agree with ax or whoever stizen is on this one, except my list of backs would be just a bit different whom I would take over Westbrook:

LT (duh)
    Alexander
    LJ
    Addai
    Gore
    Maroney
    Jackson
    Parker
    Barber III
    Rudi Johnson

I also have a strong feeling that because Westbrook is not the runner that any of these backs are, he obviously benefits from additional work as a receiver and a few of the backs listed above could produce as well as Westbrook as a receiver with a lighter workload as a runner.
  • Options

<< <i>gotta agree with ax or whoever stizen is on this one, except my list of backs would be just a bit different whom I would take over Westbrook:

LT (duh)
    Alexander
    LJ
    Addai
    Gore
    Maroney
    Jackson
    Parker
    Barber III
    Rudi Johnson

I also have a strong feeling that because Westbrook is not the runner that any of these backs are, he obviously benefits from additional work as a receiver and a few of the backs listed above could produce as well as Westbrook as a receiver with a lighter workload as a runner. >>

<<< and a few of the backs listed above could produce as well as Westbrook as a receiver with a lighter workload as a runner. >>>

Incorrect. If they could, no matter how good the WR's are, don't you think the coaches would be using them as receivers? Of course the coaches would if they could. Most running backs have hands of stone...Westbrook has great hands and that's the reason I make him #1 - OVERALL, including rushing and receiving...total yards. But as mentioned there is the injury problem which of course can't be dismissed.
  • Options
    Steve, LT is just as good a receiver IF NOT BETTER than Westbrook. LT if you remember caught 100 balls a few years ago.. I consider Westbrook to be an elite back in the league, but he is in no way better than LT.
  • Options

<< <i>Steve, LT is just as good a receiver IF NOT BETTER than Westbrook. LT if you remember caught 100 balls a few years ago.. I consider Westbrook to be an elite back in the league, but he is in no way better than LT. >>

We're not talking a few years ago - we're talking now, this season, as of the first 3 games. Westbrook has been playing better, MUCH better than LT.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Steve, LT is just as good a receiver IF NOT BETTER than Westbrook. LT if you remember caught 100 balls a few years ago.. I consider Westbrook to be an elite back in the league, but he is in no way better than LT. >>

We're not talking a few years ago - we're talking now, this season, as of the first 3 games. Westbrook has been playing better, MUCH better than LT. >>

Yes he is.
  • Options

<< <i> I would take a healthy Westbrook #1 overall. >>

Isn't that a copout? You could take a healthy anybody who has a good single game (or even single season) and say that he's your #1. What does that prove? Part of being a great player in the NFL is staying healthy enough to display your talents, and maybe even play hurt once in a while if your team needs it.

Neither of which Westbrook will do.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I would take a healthy Westbrook #1 overall. >>

Isn't that a copout? You could take a healthy anybody who has a good single game (or even single season) and say that he's your #1. What does that prove? Part of being a great player in the NFL is staying healthy enough to display your talents, and maybe even play hurt once in a while if your team needs it.

Neither of which Westbrook will do. >>

No, not a copout because he hasn't been injured that much. Let me rephrase it - I'll take Westbrook #1 even with the risk of being injured, and if he gets injured, well then I lose...but if he stays injury free the upside with Westbrook I believe is better than any RB out there right now.

I agree with the LT comments here with the LT of the past, but I'm looking at LT of this season having a subpar year.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    If Westbrook played in Seattle or Miami would you even be posting this?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Westbrook is such a good reciever becasue of the coach who, for some reason, passes more than 60% of his teams offensive plays. It's a system, and he does fit that system well. Many other Rbs would be doing just as good or better in Philly's passing offense. You dont think LT would have more than 1 lousy 1000 yard rushing season and at least match westy's recieveing numbers if he played for the Eagles?

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>Westbrook, as I originally stated, is number 1 in terms of being able to be used in the most varied circumstances. >>

No he's not. Gore and Jackson are both used more...look at last year's numbers. Gore had 373 touches, jackson 436. Westbrook? 317. This year, Jackson has 77 touches to westbrook's 70, and gore, who missed preseason has 57. Hell, one could argue Bush is more versatile...caught 88 balls last year as well as punt returns!

<< <i>Not only does he run the ball well, but he runs great routes out of the backfield, can take screen passes for as many yards as anyone, and can line up effectively as a flanker. Once again, all those things that Reggie Bush was SUPPOSE to be able to do and the reasons why he was dubbed a "once in a generation (or lifetime) player". >>

Why do you insist on comparing Westbrook to Bush? Westbrook has been in the league for what, 6 years? But if you want to make that comparison, Westbrook had 77 catches for 699 yards last year. Bush had 88 catches for 742. So who's more versatile again?

<< <i>To say that Westbrook is number 1 in terms of being utilized in the most different ways is no where near saying that one would take him overall. For instance, it would take me not a split second to decide that Joe Montana is who I would rather have than at QB than Steve Young but Steve Young is obviously better at being utilized in more facets of the QB position. With a running back, usually the number one consideration is carrying a heavy load and getting ~5 yards a carry while chewing up a lot of clock. Hence, what I said about Westbrook does not necessarily mean that it ever correlates with being the #1 chosen RB. Basically Ax, I'm saying you're an idiot. >>

Basically what you're saying is you have no idea what the hell you are trying to say. He's the number one most utilized back? Huh? What does that even mean? You said in a previous post:

<< <i>Westbrook is Number 1 as a running back in terms of his multi-purpose skillset. >>

You aren't saying he's number one in utilization, you are saying NUMBER ONE.

Good god man do you even read your posts before you post a reply to them? Jesus christ you're as ignorant as they come.
  • Options

<< <i>Ax, you of all people have no right calling anyone ignorant. For a textbook definition of ignorance, look in the mirror. >>

Ok I'll take that as admission you have no idea wtf you're talking about.
  • Options

<< <i>Westbrook is such a good reciever becasue of the coach who, for some reason, passes more than 60% of his teams offensive plays. It's a system, and he does fit that system well. Many other Rbs would be doing just as good or better in Philly's passing offense. You dont think LT would have more than 1 lousy 1000 yard rushing season and at least match westy's recieveing numbers if he played for the Eagles? >>

Cripe, how many times do I have to say it? We're talking about this season and LT is basically doing squat this season. Wanna bring up Emmitt or Jimmy Brown or Earl Campbell or Sayers or Payton as well then go ahead...but they're either dead or retired...we're talking this season and with the dreadful season LT is having so far, Westbrook is so much better THIS SEASON and it's not even close!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Westbrook is such a good reciever becasue of the coach who, for some reason, passes more than 60% of his teams offensive plays. It's a system, and he does fit that system well. Many other Rbs would be doing just as good or better in Philly's passing offense. You dont think LT would have more than 1 lousy 1000 yard rushing season and at least match westy's recieveing numbers if he played for the Eagles? >>

Cripe, how many times do I have to say it? We're talking about this season and LT is basically doing squat this season. Wanna bring up Emmitt or Jimmy Brown or Earl Campbell or Sayers or Payton as well then go ahead...but they're either dead or retired...we're talking this season and with the dreadful season LT is having so far, Westbrook is so much better THIS SEASON and it's not even close! >>

the only point i was trying to make is that if they swtiched teams, i still think LT, among others, would be putting up the same stats or better.

imagey
  • Options
    If you're willing to go on 3 games instead of several years of performance, that's your right.

But to suggest that it will continue is a bit of a stretch, especially given Westbrook's inability to carry a team.
  • Options

<< <i>Ax, if you're that stupid, blame your parents, not me. >>

What's the matter? Called out for making ridiculous and moronic statements, you try to spin your answer then get pissy when you're called on it?

Get real...just admit you made a mistake!
  • Options
    You said, and I'll go slow for you:

<< <i>because Westbrook is Number 1 as a running back in terms of his multi-purpose skillset. >>

then you said:

<< <i>Westbrook, as I originally stated, is number 1 in terms of being able to be used in the most varied circumstances. >>

You didn't originally state this. You didn't say 'the most varied circumstances, you said he's a NUMBER ONE running back.

I'm done with you...obviously you have no idea how to carry on a reasonable debate without contradicting yourself.

Funny why you insist on comparing him to Reggie Bush when YOU were the first one to bring him up!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Cripe, how many times do I have to say it? We're talking about this season and LT is basically doing squat this season. Wanna bring up Emmitt or Jimmy Brown or Earl Campbell or Sayers or Payton as well then go ahead...but they're either dead or retired...we're talking this season and with the dreadful season LT is having so far, Westbrook is so much better THIS SEASON and it's not even close! >>

the only point i was trying to make is that if they swtiched teams, i still think LT, among others, would be putting up the same stats or better. >>

Point taken - Hey LT is one heckuva football player and this opinion of mine could change as the year progresses...we'll see how it goes. image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    axtell is all knowing about NFL running backs.

According to him, Reggie Bush is going to be better than LJ, LT, Alexander, Faulk, Edge, Emmitt, etc.

And he's going to accomplish this by averaging 1,200 yards on less than 20 carries.

Yes, he's going to be that great.. Nay, awesome.. No, phenominally spectacularmazing!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    stevek, I hear what you are saying...but the season is what, 3 games old? 3 games! LT has been pretty damn good for 6-7 years, and I'm pretty sure he'll put up the numbers this season before its done. I'm not really a big LT fan either (and to me, LT will always be Lawrence Taylor, not Ladanian), but he's the best RB in the game today...and there's a big gap between him and everyone else.

And there is also a gap between the guys I would rate after Ladanian (Gore, Addai, Maroney, Bush, Steven Jackson, Rudi Johnson, Willie Parker) and Westbrook. But Westbrook could be a top 10 RB in the league, if all the stars are aligned correctly.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>Incorrect. If they could, no matter how good the WR's are, don't you think the coaches would be using them as receivers? Of course the coaches would if they could. Most running backs have hands of stone...Westbrook has great hands and that's the reason I make him #1 - OVERALL, including rushing and receiving...total yards. But as mentioned there is the injury problem which of course can't be dismissed. >>

Sorry, I'll take a back that can run consistently between the tackles 20+ times per game and leave the dumpoff passes to others. Westbrook is not the best overall back period.
    This kinda sounds like Kevin's rants about Galloway and Cadillac.

This just in, for 14 minutes last weekend, Ronnie Brown was the best running back overall
    Sincerely,
    More outlandish statements forthcoming for sure.
  • Options
    I love the people who are willing to say out of one side of their mouth that westbrook's the best running back, then out of the other say no, no, no he's the best utilized running back...all this based on THREE games of a very, very long season.

Anyone who has paid attention to football more than, oh I don't know, the first three games of the season knows that Westbrook just isn't durable enough to be an every down back for 16 games. He's never eclipsed 250 carries, let alone 300, and has only barely scratched 310 total touches in one year in his career, despite playing over 4 years in the league.

I'll accept that eagle fans will say this - homer fans will sometimes say irrational things, but for folks outside that realm to embrace this argument? Curious at best, being argumentative at worst.
  • Options

<< <i>Ax, your 4th grade education obviously prohibits you from any sort of an adult level comprehension of words and the manner in which they are arranged. >>

Oh, I'm sorry, so you're now saying I misunderstood when YOU said

<< <i> because Westbrook is Number 1 as a running back in terms of his multi-purpose skillset. >>

I guess I don't understand what it means when someone says someone else is number one as a running back.
  • Options
    No, clown, your inability to put together an argument without contradicting yourself is your problem.

Why in god's name would you say that Westbrook is a number one running back if you didn't believe it? There is no rhyme or reason to your wild, flailing remarks...perhaps you should just give up and admit that Westbrook is a nice back, but hardly number one or top 3.
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't say that. Once again, read it again jr. high school dropout. >>

So now you're going to say that Westbrook isn't a number one running back? bwahaha

<< <i> because Westbrook is Number 1 as a running back in terms of his multi-purpose skillset. >>

Your insistence on denying this is amazing to me....keep on trying to spin, moron...it's apparent to anyone who can read that YOU said Westbrook is, and I'll quote, 'number one as a running back'.

I don't know how much clearer I can lay this out to you....but you keep on denying that you said it.

My work is done here.
  • Options
    And your inability to ADMIT you said Westbrook is a number one is unfathomable to me.

Whatever, man, live that dream where you live in complete and blissful ignorance. I wish you were in my fantasy football league and had the number one pick so you could use it on Westbrook.
  • Options
    Unlike you I am able to connect the words 'so and so is number one' and actually know what they mean.

Please be in my league next year, I'll give you number one pick to take Westbrook number one overall! Make sure you pay your money upfront though.
  • Options

<< <i>Sure, if you want to totally take a quote out of context. However, if you can't read completely, then blame the Modesto education system, not me. >>

haha now it's the context...no, you said

<< <i> because Westbrook is Number 1 as a running back in terms of his multi-purpose skillset >>

Even though there are far more durable and talented players with better skillsets:

Gore
    Jackson
    hell even Reggie Bush is more versatile and durable.
  • Options

<< <i>That would be your opinion. That isn't mine. >>

So your opinion IS then that Westbrook is number one overall...just admit it, clown!
  • Options
    And you must suffer from multiple personality disorder...
  • Options
    Who's getting flustered? I think that would be the guy who says that, on one hand, Brian Westbrook is the #1 running back, then tries to backtrack and says he is #1 in how he's used.

Huh?

No worries, I am sure its because of your lack of a loving environment growing up where you felt the need to be accepted no matter what, so you'll say anything and everything, contradict yourself, simply to make friends.