Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Skylaneflyer Makes The News!

The most recent PSA Insider (eZine) featured our very own Skylaneflyer. Here is the complete text...

PSA SET REGISTRY SPOTLIGHT
=============================================================
Skylaneflyer - 1967 Topps Baseball Set
The Number One Finest Set of All Time
We watched every week as Skylaneflyer updated his set, getting
closer and closer to completion, always remaining in the number
one spot. And then, finally, he succeeded. As the first to complete
the incredible 609-card 1967 Topps set, Skylaneflyer deserves a big
hand. But more than that, his set is filled with high quality cards,
which makes his set tough to beat. Kudos to Skylaneflyer for a great
achievement!

For those of you unaware of the PSA online "magazine", if your set is highlighted like this it means that YOU ARE THE MAN!

Comments

• carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    I just finished reading the newsletter myself. Great Job.

Sky, did you know they were going to do that?

Carlos
  • I saw that too. There is one problem however. Sky was not the first to complete the set. That accomplishment goes to JWMerrill.

JW,

That's major libel buddy! You worked years on that set. You must be totally distrought. What's a good settlement? $10,000 credit line for the next Superior Auction?

LOL - Bubba
  • <<<What's a good settlement? $10,000 credit line for the next Superior Auction?

I think I could settle for that!! Maybe then I could buy the cards I need to catch up to Sky's GPA!!! Actually BJ already recognized the error and sent me a message. No harm, no foul. (Although I did stick some pins in my Skylaneflyer Voodoo doll) hahaha!! Just kidding Sky!!

Jim
  • Many thanks to BJ for the nice write-up, I had no clue that was going to happen. BJ and Gayle have been instrumental in keeping the "numbers moving" each week as I fed in the upgrades. In fact, Dude just sent me an email telling me I was written up in the PSA Insider which I do not even receive. So it came as a surprise.

To set the record straight, JMerrill was the first registrant to complete the 1967 Set. But as you all know he "scabbed" that set together with lower grade material just to beat me out. He obtained the short term gain, but now he will endure the long term pain. image By knocking down the 100%, he set himself back a bit on the GPA, so Jim, you got some serious work ahead of you to pump up those numbers. And it's one basis point at a time, and depending on the grade weights, several 9's are often required on an update to get that number to move!

What is more surprising to me is that with all the guys putting together and completing the 1950's sets, it seems they deserve the kudos. For certain the 1967 Topps Baseball Set is challenging, but next to some of those sets - well you get the idea.

Moving forward to upgrade this set will be interesting, many of the cards do not exist in 9. And forget the 10's - only 18 total exist in the published population from PSA. At the beginning, many 8's were extremely difficult to find. They are starting to surface as more dealers and individuals begin to recognize the value of their more common high grade cards. Still, there are many cards that are tough even in 8, with populations of a half a dozen or so.

Please let me know the whereabouts of any upgrades to the set, I will pay you a reward - dead or alive!

Regards,

Sky

"Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

"Give me a reason to fly, and I'll be there"
  • FYI - There is a 67 PSA 9 Mays on ebay.

DL
  • In his previous post, Sky said:

<<<<<But as you all know he "scabbed" that set together with lower grade material just to beat me out.

What you all know what he really meant to say was: image

"But as you all know he "scabbed" that set together by gathering up all the crumbs that I left behind, sometimes even begging for a mere common."

LOL!!!

All kidding aside, Sky has put together a remarkable set and has also been very generous in helping me upgrade some of my cards. (I said generous and should not be confused with charitable) Just last week he helped me upgrade the last card I needed to upgrade in the 7th series, #592 and several other very difficult cards.

I did a little calculating this morning. As it stands, I would need to improve my set by 400 grade points image to reach the level that Sky has attained. If I use a conservative figure of say, $35 per grade point, that would cost me nearly $14,000 to accomplish!!! That must be the pain to which Sky refers!! Since I don't cherish the thought of parting with that kind of cash right now, I have set my short term goal a little lower than that. My goal is to upgrade any card with less than a PSA 8 grade and to add a few PSA 9s so that my GPA reaches 8.10, which is definitely attainable. After that I'll be content to upgrade my set over the months and years to come.

One thing that brings a smile to my face is that, even with all the great cards Sky has, I still have 16 PSA 9s he doesn't have, 9 of which are the only ones to currently exist (Pop 1). It's just another mere crumb to hold on to!! (But Sky, if you're reading this.. everything is negotiable, as long as my GPA doesn't suffer!!... and oh, sorry about the voodoo doll...)

Jim
    jwmerrill

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    JIM & SKY - Congrats! on a job well done!
    Hopefully the end justifys the means. Since I know for a fact that SKY sold his car (on eBay) to have the funds for his '67 set. And SKY please do not upgrade the dozen to 2 dozen 8's you got off of me! This is my way to live vicariously through you. Since it will be a long while for my sets to be complete- I currently have about 325 diff. 68's (was gonna do the '67's - but the above 2 cornered the market)
    while that may sound impressive, I still need 275 more! And I have 2 other sets I'm working on (not on the registry yet) that I have about 100 diff in each, and that means I need 500 more for each set. So I will be old and gray before I join the ranks of you 2 gentleman.
  • acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    I know that I have already told you both congratulations privately...

My opinion is that both set are pretty incredible. Trying to find nice low population 67's is tough...and both of these sets are rated above 8 (NM/MT). WOW! Almost every card in these two sets looks MINT to the naked eye. It just doesn't get any better.

Not only are these nice sets...but Jim & Joel are great guys. As they have assembled their sets...they have been a great asset to either trade with or get advice from.

Thanks and congratulations!

Regards,

Alan
    EBAYID: ACOWA

• Congratulations to both of you, one he11 of any accomplishment

What I really enjoy about the posts to this topic are that the majority of them are from registry participants who understand the trials and tribulations of our obsession. Perhaps we are a co-dependancy support group?

Paul
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Thanks again to all of you! Most of you have sold or traded something with me to get the set where it is now, I appreciate all of your help.

And to you guys who are building sets on the Registry, believe me, I understand the challenges we go through to find the cards and enter the data. It's a fun process and a brilliant marketing idea from PSA to generate further interest in obtaining only PSA graded cards. Set building is a throw back to the real "collecting" days and it's refreshing to see it's popularity. With the advent of the internet, PSA has succeeded in providing an exciting venue for the true collector. Better yet, we can share the different collections with other collectors right from our desks, that in itself is truly remarkable.

Thanks,

Sky

• dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Congrats again Sky! A job well done. By the way, I got your Blefery in 8 today, so it will be in the mail tomorrow.

JW, Sorry that you didn't at least get honorable mention in the article.
  • Thy Dude has provided the card to free me of all 7's! To what do I owe this honor? Could this bring up my GPA?

Thanks,

Sky