Home Sports Talk
Options

Arod Rumor: potential Cubs deal would make him part owner

Link

Would be a brilliant move, and get him to a town that (a) would actually embrace (and not boo) him, and (b) get him back with Pinella.

It would be the best possible scenario for Arod, regardless of what happens in October.

Comments

• Options
    I think its total bunk, as it isnt allowed to have a contract to become part owner; remember the Jordan incident in the NBA where he had to sell his stake to play? It's a conflict of interest. It might be possible for him to still go to the Cubs, just not as a part owner (unless the deal is for after he's retired). I really hope he stays a Yankee, as that would be a great fit for him, even though I feel Yankee fans dont deserve any of his help because of the way they treat him (especially the NY media).
  • Options
    I could easily see the deal worked where he would become part owner after he retires.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark Cuban floated this rumor. Its funny to see so many run with it image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Likely it was Boras to squeeze even more money out of the yankees...he's the best there is.

• Options
    LOL. A player can't own a team or be part owner. That article must have been put out there to see how many morons would respond.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    It can certainly be written into the contract that he becomes part owner upon retiring, moron.

But then it's apparent logic isn't one of your strong suits (hey, you have to beat another team in the playoffs to advance to the world series!)
  • Options

No way ANYTHING written into his contract involving ownership whether when he is retired or not will have any chance of approval.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Right O

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options

<< <i>No way ANYTHING written into his contract involving ownership whether when he is retired or not will have any chance of approval. >>

I didn't realize we had an expert of contract law in our midst. Welcome!
  • Options
    Not gonna happen. Your "law" comment is as hollow as your sad upbringing. BASEBALL will not allow it.

• Options
    The gist of the ownership would be that a sum of the yearly contract would be backloaded and then, when he retires, that money would be used to buy into the team.

It's not like this is unprecedented in sports...Mario Lemieux both owned and played for the Penguins.

What's the matter yankee boy? Afraid you won't have the best player in baseball as your team's (and your fans') whipping boy anymore? NERVOUS?!?!
  • Options
    Is there a rule preventing him from owing part of a time while playing or is this speculation?
  • Options

<< <i>Is there a rule preventing him from owing part of a time while playing or is this speculation? >>

Am sure it's speculation on those who say it cannot be done, that 'baseball wouldn't allow it!'

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    This rumor, started by the highly reputable source for sports New York Magazine, has been called "silly" and full of "nonsense". It's against the CBA for any player or rep to discuss a possible contract with another team without consent. So, you are just as likely to get the scoop by reading the National Enquirer.

And anyone who says that A-Rod will not get booed in a Cubbie's uniform just shows how little they know about baseball.

For those with short term memory loss, Zambrano was booed off the field just 3 weeks ago.

Proof! -> Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I know it's a difficult concept for some people to understand but it happens.

Using Tinkerbell's logic, that means NO has the worst fans as well... Every single Saints fan in the world showered their team with boos last night on National TV! All Saints fans are drunken bandwagoners that live in a crime infested rat hole.

Some people just don't know squat about sports or being a real fan.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> All Saints fans are drunken bandwagoners that live in a crime infested rat hole.
    >>

A lot of them moved to Houston.
  • Options

<< <i>A lot of them moved to Houston. >>

And guess who helped welcome them into our fine city?

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Zambrano was booed because he signed a 91 million extension, then proceeded to go out and absolutely STINK in every outing since.

Pretty big difference from the nonsense that goes on in NY revolving Arod.

Wow, stown, I didn't know you were such a big racist....but it makes sense.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Zambrano was booed because he signed a 91 million extension, then proceeded to go out and absolutely STINK in every outing since.

Pretty big difference from the nonsense that goes on in NY revolving Arod.

Wow, stown, I didn't know you were such a big racist....but it makes sense. >>

That statement PROVES you dont watch Yankees baseball every day. ARod stunk it up when his at bats meant something last year and was booed by the fans. ARod has heard nothing but cheers this year. I dont believe he has been booed once at all in 2007. Even ARod has admitted he had head problems last year.
  • Options
    Yes a guy who bats .290 with 35 HRs and 121 RBI really 'stunk it up'.

Booing the hometown players, regardless of why, is just mind-boggling to me. It doesn't make you a more 'real' fan, it makes you a spoiled b***h.
  • Options
    You are making my head spin. So are you saying it was or was not ok for Cubs fans to boo Zambrano?

Again, you would have had to have watched the Yanks games last year to understand what the ARod situation was. Unless you know something that ARod doesnt even know himself.
  • Options

<< <i>You are making my head spin. So are you saying it was or was not ok for Cubs fans to boo Zambrano? >>

No it wasn't ok. But comparing a guy who signed a huge contract extension then stink it up is ridiculous to compare to Arod. Arod, even in a so-called 'down year' would have been a better choice than just about any 3rd basemen in the league.

<< <i>Again, you would have had to have watched the Yanks games last year to understand what the ARod situation was. Unless you know something that ARod doesnt even know himself. >>

No I don't...I don't need to watch the games to see the hardest working guy in baseball booed while an admitted steroid user doesn't.

• Options

<< <i>Wow, stown, I didn't know you were such a big racist....but it makes sense. >>

Really?

So volunteering to feed and clothe Katrina evacuees is considered being a racist?

Think about that for a second...

Are you really that full of hate? See negativity in everything, even when it's a good deed?

Seriously, get some help. You need it.

Edited to add: That's not including the donation fund I put together or going to Target and purchasing toothpaste, diapers, and such out of pocket.
  • Options
    Your statement truely show that you have no idea what you are talking about with the ARod situation from last year. Seems by your theory, Yanks fans should still be booing ARod but that isnt happening. It's for good reason he is not being booed and cheered with enthusiasm and with more second curtain calls than any other Yankee I have ever seen. Yankees fans do show their appreciation for good performance.

And comparing ARod to Giambi or any steroid user is an attempt to spin the discussion.

Again, you have no idea because you dont watch Yankees games every day. Maybe Skinpitch can give you a lesson on ignorance because he apparently the board's expert. I suppose he would say that its not your fault.
  • Options

<< <i>Your statement truely show that you have no idea what you are talking about with the ARod situation from last year. Seems by your theory, Yanks fans should still be booing ARod but that isnt happening. It's for good reason he is not being booed and cheered with enthusiasm and with more second curtain calls than any other Yankee I have ever seen. Yankees fans do show their appreciation for good performance. >>

Whatever man...booing the hometown guy, especially when he's the best player on your team, is MORONIC and CHILDISH. No, it doesn't make you a better 'fan'.

<< <i>And comparing ARod to Giambi or any steroid user is an attempt to spin the discussion. >>

How is that possible? Both are yankee players. How is comparing the two 'spinning' the discussion? Oh wait that's right, Giambi, the cheater, is a 'real' yankee by some imaginary criteria, so he doesn't get booed.

<< <i>Again, you have no idea because you dont watch Yankees games every day. Maybe Skinpitch can give you a lesson on ignorance because he apparently the board's expert. I suppose he would say that its not your fault. >>

And again, I don't have to watch every game to know that yankee fans are irrational and jealous and petty to boo the best player on their team.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, stown, I didn't know you were such a big racist....but it makes sense. >>

Really?

So volunteering to feed and clothe Katrina evacuees is considered being a racist?

Think about that for a second...

Are you really that full of hate? See negativity in everything, even when it's a good deed?

Seriously, get some help. You need it.

Edited to add: That's not including the donation fund I put together or going to Target and purchasing toothpaste, diapers, and such out of pocket.
  • Options
    Yankees fans love ARod now because they're winning and he's playing great. But if, like last year, he struggles again in the playoffs they'll be ready to run him out of town again.