Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I just wanted to share.......

The following double stamped date:

1845 CA 8 escudos. Chihuahua mint. Fr-66, Calico Onza-1789. AU-50 (NGC).

26.98 grams, 35.70 mm. Types as above. Deep orange gold. ($300-450)

From Stack's sale of the Col. James W. Flanagan Collection, March 1944, Lot 288.

You will notice that the 5 of the date 1845 has been overstamped - I thought that was pretty cool.

There is no reference to the date being double stamped in the Eliasberg catalogue.

The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous hunk 'o' gold there, Marcel - is it yours yet image ?

I would imaging quite a few had re-punched or overstruck assayer initials / last 2 digits of the date. These dies were used and re-used excessively (similar to numerous "varieties" of 8 Reales of the time).
  • Options
    Hi Roman - yes, I've had this one for a while now. image
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Roman - yes, I've had this one for a while now. image >>

In that case image -

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Could you, for the know-nothings,
    please enumerate and demonstrate
    the particulars?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Nice example!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that design!!
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    What a beautyimage

~
  • Options
    I love the You Suck. imageimageimage

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    Actually, the coin pictured above is a beautiful deep golden colour in hand. However it is a fairly common coin not like the 4 Escudo which is a more elusive denomination:

1869 CH 4 escudos. Mexico City mint. Fr-77. AU-58 (NGC).

13.51 grams, 30.60 mm. Types as above. Medium yellow gold with good lustre remaining. Reverse lighlty cleaned. An attractive specimen of this elusive denomination. ($400-700)

From B. Max Mehl’s sale of the Thomas W. Voetter Collection, January 1943, Lot 98.

And yes Roman, this coin is also in my possesion. image

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Wow.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22