Home PSA Set Registry Forum

An observation about modern graded cards

I opened an Ebay store a few months ago and one thing I have noticed about modern cards (80's and 90's)is that PSA 9's seem to sell much much better than PSA 10's. I'm talking mostly regular issue cards like for players master sets, not high dollar RC's. I can sell $7 PSA 9's all day but I can't sell a PSA 10 for $12. Is there any logic to this? Maybe it's because the difference between a 9 and a 10 is very small? I've gotten to where I lowball a ton of PSA 9's for my store because a 10 will sit there forever. I'm curious as to what people think.

Comments

• MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    If it's a modern player set I think most have given up the dream of all 10 sets and are just looking to find the cards graded. Saving $5 bucks a card really adds up when a player has 300 cards issued a year.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    the part i dont get is what is the point of spending the $5 to grade a card whereas after its graded, you can only get $7 for it if it grades a 9 and $12 for the homerun of a 10. i am not being a wise guy here, buy why not skip the middle step and sell it raw for $2 from the start. if you get $3-$4, you are ahead of the game. who makes out here afterall, certainly not the seller. i dont quite understand this strategy. please enlighten.
  • Its about volume. If I pay 6.00 dollars to have 100 cards that will sell for around 10.00 in a 9 and 15 in a 10 and 90 come back 9 and 40 of those come back a 10. When I sell them I can turn a 600 dollar sub into 1100 dollars add in the lesser cards that might bring another couple of dollars. A seller could easily clear 3 to 400 dollars on that sub do it over and over and it adds up real quick. This is the 4SC model
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i> why not skip the middle step and sell it raw for $2 from the start. if you get $3-$4, you are ahead of the game. who makes out here afterall, certainly not the seller. i dont quite understand this strategy. please enlighten. >>

Well, if the card is a 1991 Upper Deck Cal Ripken, then I'm not getting $2 raw for it. I'm not even getting 10 cents for it in a bulk lot.

It is a volume thing. My logic is to break even as much as possible and get paid on the 10's. It's a tough gig and it takes a good eye and an enormous amount of time but, I enjoy it. I like cards and if I make a few bucks, cool.
  • You also never know when a suprise might pop up.. Like this one. It was submitted to fill out a submission.

Text
  • I thinks its because there are at most only about 3, maybe 4 real aggressive collectors for each player set. They usually have a lot of the 10's already because a lot of the cards that you can find in 10's on ebay are pretty mainstream, and they are already in the the top sets. I believe the 9's sell easier because the other registry set collectors that arent in the top 5 just try to 'bottom feed' off ebay for the 9's. I used to bid real heavy on PSA 10's I didnt have, but now have come to known my competition's bidding habits/patterns. Also the 1/1 10's are almost a thing of the past with 4SC, since they now send in so many of the same card. When the first 10 gets listed of a specific card, I just sit back, knowing after that sells they will list another 10 I can get MUCH cheaper.
  • Just think of what may happen if the 1986 Topps Ryan that was finally graded a 10 ever hits Ebay.
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i> opened an Ebay store a few months ago and one thing I have noticed about modern cards (80's and 90's)is that PSA 9's seem to sell much much better than PSA 10's >>

Interesting. What I've witnessed on popular 80's sets/cards via AUCTION is that 9's normally sell, if they even do sell, for $3-6 per card, regardless how nice and/or well-centered. On common 10's in auction, they'll go for $5-12, or hit the stratosphere based on who's bidding. At least with auction the chance is there for stupid money; not so with ebay stores unless you want to sit on it a long time and risk being known as a 'way over-priced' ebay store.

I've seen many 84D mid-pop 10's that'll sell around $10 in auction, then a half year passes and the same card comes up and fetchs $30-60. More time passes and the card comes up again and sells for around $10.

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You also never know when a suprise might pop up.. Like this one. It was submitted to fill out a submission.

Text >>

Hey congrats on the Ryan. Unbelievable price. Was "watching" that auction on Ebay. You must have been surprised. Seems that you could have bought 100 and had them graded for that price. I'm sure a few 10's would come from that.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You also never know when a suprise might pop up.. Like this one. It was submitted to fill out a submission.

Text >>

Hey congrats on the Ryan. Unbelievable price. Was "watching" that auction on Ebay. You must have been surprised. Seems that you could have bought 100 and had them graded for that price. I'm sure a few 10's would come from that. >>

I'll say it again. I really thought that '93 Finest Ryan PSA 10 wound end around $150-$200, at the most. Absolutely unbelievable price for that seller!
  • It was not mine unfortunatly. I figured a couple of hundred as well.