Home Sports Talk
Options

OT: Are You Disappointed In "Your" NFL QB?

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
Full disclosure. I am a fan of the SF 49ers. And after today's performance, I am very disappointed in Alex Smith. But I have to think that fans of the Chicago Bears and St. Louis Rams are feeling the same. I'm sure you've heard something to the extent of, "I don't expect _____ to win games for us. I just want him to not lose games for us." And this got me thinking, if you can't EXPECT your QB to win games for you, really, what good is he? Is that nothing more than a nice way of saying, "you're just simply taking us space."

I acknowledge that the "sports working world" is not the "regular working world." Need proof? How many of us have contracts with our employers? Much less GUARANTEED contracts? So with that in mind, can you imagine if your boss came to you and said, "it's okay if you don't do your job. Just don't do anything that loses the company any money or customers." How fantastic would that be? And yet all these coaches out there say that he believes ____ can play well enough not to lose the team any games. Play well enough not to lose! Is that the most absurd standard you have ever heard?!

But on a much brighter note, as a 49ers fan (and fan of Jeff Garcia), it's great to see that Tampa Bay is doing well. I hope they go far.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    yes. But I dont think Greise can do much better. Though I have seen enough with Grossman. Bench him. Bears need to improve their running game and recievers too. The offense is just not good.
  • Options
    I'm likin Garcia. He's nothing amazing but has a level head and doesn't make mistakes which I like. We've been needing a veteran QB for a few years. Gradkowski in 09!haha
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My NFL QB is doing fine... image
  • Options
    I think your going to see Griese start next sunday, and Wrecks Grossman wearing the headset.

Im in no mood to talk about QB's though after seeing my all pro QB Matt Hasselbeck run into my all pro RB Shaun Alexnader last week during a winning drive to beat the Cardinals, fumble the ball and give up the game with 2 minutes left. Ive never had to walk out of an opponents stadium with my head hung low like that
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I think I'm disappointed with my whole freakin' team!

The Rams are reminding me why I got into fantasy football back in the mid 90s. I gotta have something to root for besides my team heading for a 3-13 season.
  • Options
    I'm a giants fan so nuff said. Eli looks great at times and terrible at ohers, but is never consistent. I also wished he didn't have that deer in headlights look in his eyes all the time, and showed a little fire in his belly like his brother. PS- His numbers would be better if Jeremy Shockey didn't drop 1-2 big balls a game.
  • Options
    How bout them Cowboys! image
    Collecting Dallas Cowboys Rookies and Team Sets 1960-1989
  • Options

<< <i>How bout them Cowboys! image >>

danny,
    i had a big bet on them boys upsetting the Bears, and they didnt let me down. They looked good, very good, both sides of the ball

Congrats on having a team that seems to have their $hit together!!

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Well Tavaris looks like a Sophomore in his first Varsity game and Howcomb makes Brad Johnson look decisive and fast. Our third guy had the game losing fumble in OT vs. the Lions.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I didn't realize my Chiefs have a QB!!!!
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    My team is the Raiders. Not much hope but today was a pleasant surprise.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Favre is still getting it done. no complaints here.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    second that ahmanfan!! that was one great game yesterday. i was up in GB for the game and with each TD pass the crowd grew louder and louder with anticipation that he might break the record. Too bad he didnt it would have been great to add to the comeback win, 150th win and to do it at home instead of at the humpty dump next week.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I can be disappointed in my QB since I expected absolutely nothing from him.

The $50 million running back with 150 yards so far and a budding rap career, that's another story.
    Travis
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed in Bulger for sure, but it's more a case of his play relative to his new contract than it is to his play in an absolute sense. The offensive line is pitiful, the playcalling atrocious and Bulger's probably hurting physically, but if your salary puts you in the top tier of QB's, ya better play like it.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I am VERY proud to be a Texan fan! Good times image

I pitty fairweathered bandwagoners who will never attend a cross-country game to watch their flavor of the month.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    JP is doing a great job of pitching in and volunteering around town, but I don't think he'll ever be a great starting QB in this league. Woolforks super cheap shot yesterday probably gives Trent Edwards a start or 2, but I think we'll regret passing up Leinart and Quinn the last 2 yrs for a while...
  • Options
    Although 'we' got our first win yesterday.....it is going to be a long season for the Chiefs.....It looks like Croyle's time is almost here.....and I think that is a good thingimage
    ---------------------------------------------
    Authorized wholesale dealer for BCW, if you need any supplies let me know and I will get you a quote
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    No complaints here. Roethlisberger isn't making the silly throws this year that got him into trouble last year. Of course, having a clear head probably helps, too...image
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I am disappointed in Tom Brady. He's been with Gissel for nearly a year now and hasn't upgraded. What the hell is up with that?
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope...I'm very happy with Phillip Riversimage

On the other hand, I'm not happy at all with the Charger offensive line or secondaryimageimage

Steve
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am disappointed in Tom Brady. He's been with Gissel for nearly a year now and hasn't upgraded. What the hell is up with that? >>

and he's not sharing, either! image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am disappointed in Tom Brady. He's been with Gissel for nearly a year now and hasn't upgraded. What the hell is up with that? >>

Pretty hard to upgrade from that. She even makes craploads more money than Brady does.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Problems with Big Ben. He isn't putting up huge numbers but he hasn't had to. They've been bleeding off the clock for almost half the game so far with the exception of the 3rd quarter in the 49ers game.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only because he is my Fantasy QB will I ask.. WTF is up with Marc Bulger?
  • Options
    Garcia is leading the Bucs where Simms simply could not...but a revitalized Bucs defense is helping a ton as well. Teams have to respect the passing game which is allowing the run game tons of opportunity.

All in all, great start by Garcia to open 2-1.
  • Options
    Kelly Holcomb - bad
    Brooks Bollinger - really bad
    Tarvaris Jackson - super bad

Why is it the guy that replaces the 2nd string QB is a guy the Queens picked up at the end of preseason?

Anyone out ther ever play QB in high School? You may be needed in Minneapolis.