Home Metal Detecting
Options

What's It?

I mentioned in another thread about a surface find I made this weekend. My first thought is some type of lock or hammer for a powder rifle, but I have little knowledge of this type of weapon and its integral parts. If anyone can share a bit of knowledge about this "What's It," I'd truly appreciate it. Thanks!

Ross

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

Comments

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    almost looks like the striker of flintlock rifle

The thing the flint scrapes against

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Makes sense, thanks for the input. Makes a lot more sense than my first impression, I'm ignorant on this topic.
  • Options
    That's sure what it looks like, a striker.
  • Options
    Well, I think I'll keep it, kind of a neat eye balled find. Thanks for the consensus...I need to take my detector out to the spot I found this thing, but it's in an old gravel pit with an asphalt drive poured very nearby. On top of that, I'm moving and have already moved my detector like a goof. I've lived here for awhile, and now that I'm moving I find my first interesting find. Gold and silver are cool, but my gold and silver finds here have all been modern.
  • Options
    I too would say a striker.

That was the first thing that came to mind.
  • Options
    I don't know what that is but I am pretty sure it is not a hammer from either a percussion or flintlock blackpowder rifle or pistol. Every hammer I have seen has a square hole . Interesting find though.

Rich
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i> don't know what that is but I am pretty sure it is not a hammer from either a percussion or flintlock blackpowder rifle or pistol. Every hammer I have seen has a square hole . Interesting find though >>

I wonder if it could be the hammer from a childs toy rifle or pistol, I can remember having one as a kid.
  • Options
    It may be a toy, but it is a fairly large piece. Approximately 3 inches across and 2 inches top to bottom. The one thing about it, there are no impact marks on what you would consider to be the hammer. It's perfectly round and smooth. The holes appear to be threaded, I just noticed that. It really seems to have a lot of characteristics of a striker, if you imagine it mounted round-end with the holes down. Maybe we can solve the mystery.