Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Early South American Gold

Hello all. I've been collecting US coins for 40 years now, but I've taken a keen interest in South America recently. More specifically gold coins of Brazil from the 1700's to early 1800's. My question to the experts in this area of collecting is: Did these issues really circulate, or were they used primarily in trade, or early banking. Of all the South American countries, Brazil seems a bit more difficult to obtain. And finally, are these issues fairly scarce to begin with. or is lack of demand keeping the prices down. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Comments

• Options
    I am not sure about the answer........but I reckon........post 'em if you've got 'em !! image

The only two coins from Brazil in my collection are Eliasberg pedigreed:

1823 4,000 reis. Rio mint. Fr-110. AU-58 (NGC).

8.07 grams, 27.20 mm. Uniformed bust of Pedro I to left, legends and date around / crowned arms, legends around. Lustrous yellow gold, trivial hairlines, nice eye appeal. The first easily acquired issue of Pedro I in gold. ($400-700)

From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942.

1855 5,000 reis. Fr-123. MS-63 (NGC).

4.47 grams, 19.40 mm. Types as above. Lustrous medium gold. ($150-250)

From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942.
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Judging from the small mintages, they were probably not used much in commerce but more as a storehouse of value. Many of them are truly scarce and even more so due to melting. If you look at the Republican issues of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, you won't find but a few dates with mintages higher than 10,000.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have a bunch of it in the upcoming heritage and goldberg auctions.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.