Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

This is a cool coin.......can you guess the coin type and grade?

imageimage
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beligan Congo 1 Franc MS65

TERRIFIC COIN

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Beligan Congo 1 Franc MS65

TERRIFIC COIN >>

Correct on the coin type.......I will give you a hint, this is a legacy coin.

• Options
    This is a PCGS 67...a former Garrett speciman or so it says on the holder.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knew?image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! Do you have any background information on the Garrett collection?
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool! Do you have any background information on the Garrett collection? >>

I do not....maybe Mr. Eureka knows something....

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From CoinFacts.com:

T. Harrison Garrett, whose family managed the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, began collecting coins as a young man in the 1860s. By 1880, he was one of the foremost coin collectors in this country and he aspired to own one of each major variety of United States coin, including territorial gold, Colonials, and patterns. By the time of his death in 1888, T. Harrison Garrett had formed one of the greatest coin collections ever assembled up to that point.

The collection passed to T. Harrison Garrett’s son, Robert. Shortly after the turn of the century Robert Garrett loaned the collection to Princeton University where it was on display for nearly two decades. Robert added important rarities to the collection during this time and purchased proof coins directly from the Mint. In 1919 John Work Garrett, T. Harrison’s other son, acquired the collection from his brother. John Work Garrett continued to add to the collection, including the purchase of some of the most important pieces in the Col. James Ellsworth Collection.

The collection was eventually donated to Johns Hopkins University where it resided for many decades. By the late 1970s, the insurance costs and other factors lead to the decision by Johns Hopkins University to sell the collection. The bulk of the Garrett Collection was sold in several auctions during 1979 and 1980 by Bowers and Ruddy Galleries. The sales were among the most important in numismatic history and the Garrett Collection is considered one of the true landmark collections of all-time.

What is not mentioned is that Garrett had a great collection of ancients and world coins, which were sold by Bank Leu in a series of auctions in the early 80's.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>From CoinFacts.com:

T. Harrison Garrett, whose family managed the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, began collecting coins as a young man in the 1860s. By 1880, he was one of the foremost coin collectors in this country and he aspired to own one of each major variety of United States coin, including territorial gold, Colonials, and patterns. By the time of his death in 1888, T. Harrison Garrett had formed one of the greatest coin collections ever assembled up to that point.

The collection passed to T. Harrison Garrett’s son, Robert. Shortly after the turn of the century Robert Garrett loaned the collection to Princeton University where it was on display for nearly two decades. Robert added important rarities to the collection during this time and purchased proof coins directly from the Mint. In 1919 John Work Garrett, T. Harrison’s other son, acquired the collection from his brother. John Work Garrett continued to add to the collection, including the purchase of some of the most important pieces in the Col. James Ellsworth Collection.

The collection was eventually donated to Johns Hopkins University where it resided for many decades. By the late 1970s, the insurance costs and other factors lead to the decision by Johns Hopkins University to sell the collection. The bulk of the Garrett Collection was sold in several auctions during 1979 and 1980 by Bowers and Ruddy Galleries. The sales were among the most important in numismatic history and the Garrett Collection is considered one of the true landmark collections of all-time.

What is not mentioned is that Garrett had a great collection of ancients and world coins, which were sold by Bank Leu in a series of auctions in the early 80's. >>

Thank you Mr Eureka!image

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic.The pedigree alone makes it a keeper.

It would have formed a great pair with a raw 1887 Belgian franc that I got from Andy in NY last year, now PCGS MS66 and in the posession of coinpictures.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I have the United States Coinage- Garrett collection by Q David Bowers in hardcover. Fascinating collection. I have seen them for sale on ebay. Nice coinimage