Home Sports Talk
Options

NCAA Football question??????

How is it that Michigan has 8 of 12 games at home this year? 6 of their first 7 games are at home. Who writes these schedules anyway. I am no Michigan hater, I don't even root for Ohio State, but I simply don't understand how they got that schedule. Not that it freakin matters, they blew their wad in the first two games anyway. But it's the principle that matters. They opened the season 0-2 against two underdogs.

Comments

• Options
    The schools make their own schedules. They got all their non-conference games at home, and they have 5 conference games at home, 4 on the road.

• Options
    It could have been a matter of non-conference games. It's not unheard of to have a team back out or change the scheduled year of a team and have to fill somebody else in at the last minute. I'm not sure about Michigan's schedule, but it could have been something like that.
  • Options
    I always thought there was some rule where you could basically buy another team's (non-conference) home games. So in the case of Michigan and Appalachian State, ASU got a ton of money to come to Ann Arbor and whoop up on the Big Blue. If this is really the case than Appalachian State got the best of both deals.

Most conference schedules however are made out years in advance with the teams rotating Home and Away games.

I know for sure there was a situation a couple of years ago where Tennessee "bought" a home game from Wyoming. And I believe the game was played in Nashville, it's been several years ago.

Anyways these are just thoughts. I may be wrong.
    "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." - Lou Holtz
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I can answer this. The last several years Michigan has become adept at losing non conference games on the road, especially when they have to travel long distances (see Oregon and UCLA losses in recent years). Michigan decided they would no longer do that, and the only decent (and I use that word loosely these days) non conference foe they will have in upcoming years is Notre Dame. This year, it all lined up perfectly for them......6 of the first 7 at home, with an opening scrimmage vs. Appy. State. You know the rest of the story.

It's a far cry from the Ohio States and USC's of the world, who will play anybody, anytime, anywhere. Speaking of those 2 schools, they have a home and home set up starting next year.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Most top tier programs have a lot of home games. Sacrificial lambs come for the payday. Check to see how many non-conference road games the top teams play.