Home Metal Detecting
Options

Florida beach find

I was out detecting and saw this washing up on the beach on Okaloosa Island. If you've ever been there, you'll know that there is basically nothing in the sands of that area, so this stood out. Seeing this type of stone out there was odd too. I do know there is a history of Indians on that island, so my imagination started to run on me. An old Indian mound is about five minutes away in Ft Walton Beach. Anybody have a clue as to what this might be? The only thing I could possibly think of was some sort of scraping tool. The end looks slightly beveled and worn out in two areas. Then again, it could just be a chunk of rock that washed ashore. Who knows? So this was my find of the day along with a grand total of two quarters, a dime and 3 pennies!

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How very interesting.

Obviously, you're thinkin' what I'm thinkin'... an artifact of some kind. It certainly looks too geometric to be a random natural thing, but you never know. It really does look like a scraper or something, but I'm not the guy to ask on those.

Where's John been? Our resident pointy-rock expert has been awfully scarce!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.