Home Metal Detecting
Options

50KB limit on pics

I can't seem to get a picture that's under 300KB. What am I missing? Thanks, ward
If it wiggles, it ain't goin' in my salad.

Comments

• Options
    You need to drop the pixel dimension down enough to fit in the window here. Export the photo as a jpg or save it as jpg....whichever. You may have to drop the quality down too so it drops the file size.
  • Options
    Open an account (Free) at: photobucket. com.
    Upload your photos to your account, then just put the URL into your post.
    You need to use the URL that starts with [IMG

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can (A) use Photobucket as suggested above, with no size restriction, or (B) reduce the jpeg quality of your images to bring them under 50 kb, or (C) reduce the filesize by reducing the dimensions of the image. Even though Photobucket has no filesize limit, I often try to keep my average-sized pix around 50 kb anyway.

Shrinking your picture a little is fairly easily accomplished using the Paint program in Windows. (Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Paint). Then when you are in Paint, click Image -> Stretch/Skew or use Ctrl+W, and the Stretch/Skew dialog box comes up. You want the "stretch" command. You can reduce your image size by putting in the same percentages for horizontal and vertical. For example, if you Ctrl+W your picture and enter 90% in horizontal and 90% in vertical, you are gonna reduce it 10% (it will be 90% of original size). I have found that even a 10% reduction can drastically reduce the filesize of the image without shrinking its visible dimensions too much. You can keep shrinking until it is a manageable filesize.

But how can I tell what the filesize IS, you ask? I just open My Pictures or wherever I have my images saved, and if you hover the cursor over the thumbnail of the picture, it will give you the filesize. (Or you can right-click and select "Properties" most of the time).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. I started to think that maybe I was being excluded from the Master Metal Detectors Inner Sanctum. Just for a little... But I'm paranoid anyway, just ask my shrink. Better living through modern chemistry is my motto!

<< <i>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you... >>

If it wiggles, it ain't goin' in my salad.