Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cathedral Medal. Any Information would be appreciated!

I picked up this medal at a local coin shop as I believe it is silver and about twice the size of a silver U.S. dollar. Any details on it would be sincerely appreciated as a Google search didn't help much.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    Well, I thought Cologne was in France, but the language on the coin looks German.

Sorry I can't help further.

PS - nice medal!
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I have a white medal version of this medal - they show up on eBay with some frequency.

The construction of the Cathedral of Cologne begun in 1248 and was finally finished in 1880. I can't find my information on this medal but I believe it commemorates the completion of the cathedral.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose after 600+ years, they had something to celebrate! I like the detail of that medal.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. The more I look at this one the more I realize it too is white metal and not silver. Neat Cameo though with proof surfaces. I'll check out eBay to make sure I didn't pay too much!

peacockcoins

• Options
    If my German is correct, it says the Dome of Cologne. Then the opposite side says something about worshiping the three kings. I did a search for the Dome and apparently it has the Shrine of the Three Holy Kings, which is "the largest and artistically most outstanding reliquary of the Middle Ages."

This might be a commemorative medal for this shrine. That's about all I've got for ya!