Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Just made a sleeper coin .... 1957 1C PR67DC

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is really the sleeper year of the proof 50's in Deep Cameo. There are 8 in 66, 8 in 67, and 1 in 68. For other years, there are either plenty or so unobtainable it is not realistic to think you will make or get one.

I just thought I would share since I never get to be the one to share this type of info. Now that I have 2 of the 8, I will be selling one of them as soon as I get it back and can take some pictures. There are other holes in my set that MUST be filled!!!
Doug

Comments

• Options
    Proof DCAM wheats are some of the coolest looking coins out there today, IMHO. CONGRATS on the score!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice job!!image
  • Options
    I can't wait to drool at the picturesimage

David
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on making the coin. Not an easy feat since 57 Proof Lincolns are incredibly tough in CAM, let alone DCAM. I has seen one of the PCGS DCAM's. If memory serves me it was a 66DCAM. It is owned by our own Cameonut.

If you get a chance, please post a picture of the coin. SanctionII.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Score DMWJR!
    57 is one of the toughest '50's dates for Dcams. Cameos are reasonably easy to find, but those dcams are really hard.

And, yes, Sanction II is correct, I have a couple of 66dcams of this date.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    "Very Nice"!!!!!! Congrat's image I retired my 57 Proof Set, #5 All Time Finest. It would have been a super coin for that set.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is terrific! Keep searching for another, that is were the fun in collecting can be maintained.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    It's a great feeling when you bring to light a new coin like that.
    Congrats Doug....
    Dan
  • Options
    Very sweet! You pluck it from a proof set?
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on a great coin. image

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    Congratulations DOUG! Great Score. That is truly a tough year for anything in Cameo let alone DCameo. Thanks for sharing and Please post the pictures when you get it back.
    Mike.
    Someday REAL American HERO's will be on our COINS.
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Be Bop A Lula!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. This coin was in a 66DC holder where it has been for several years. I finally decided to submit it for regrade after I purchased another 67DC back in November from Segoja.

If only I could get so lucky plucking from proof sets. The best I have made from a proof set is a 67CAM. I have no idea where to find proof sets that haven't been picked over.

57 can be a frustrating year to find in DC for Lincolns. Frustrating from the standpoint that 55, 56, and 58 come relatively easy in Deep Cameo, and I don't know of any compelling reason why 57 does not (other than the fact that I can't find them!). I'm not sure about other denominations, but for some reason these just do not come in true Deep Cameo very often.

To me 67DC is a great level to collect 50's Lincolns in. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have a 68DC, but 67DC's are excellent representations of the series. 55, 56, and 58 are "relatively" easy with the 54 the next toughest. Even 1950 is not overly difficult in Deep Cameo, albeit high grades are difficult.

I don't have a top five 50-58 set, but I'm content with the coins in there from 51-58. They are all well matched with nice frost and deep mirrors. I would venture to say that my 51 and 52 are undergraded having viewed many others of the same grade in PCGS holders. Maybe one day they will get their due as well.

The one coin I would love to upgrade to is a nice 50 in 66DC. My 50 has a 66DC obverse, but has a spot on the reverse that was NCS'ed.

Doug