Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal Detecting around Civil War sites

Any of your guys ever had any luck around old Civil War Battle Field or Skirmish sites. We have a bunch of areas within a few miles of where I live and for years Ive had the want to try............Please advise........thanks........rob
1964 Topps Football

Comments

• Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Anyone.......?
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    When I lived in GA I knew of several places that were know Civil War sites.
    Metal detecting was not allowed in these places.

If it's private property and you've got permission, I don't think it will be a problem.
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never hunted any battlefield or skirmish sites, because those tend to be state or federal property. But I have hunted some campsite areas and come up with a number of buttons, bullets, and other relics.

If there are such sites (known campsites, trenches, fortifications, etc.) near where you live, and they are legal to hunt, or private, with the owner's permission, then go for it!!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks Guys for the input.................I will check this out with Parks service.................rob
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to get to hunt around the perimeter of Chickamauga Battle field. I knew a guy that owned land adjacent to the battlefield....we hunted all day long...found two flat buttons, a US coat button, a rusted spur and some fired bullets....I was hotter than the gates of Hayel that day too..all in all a neat experience....If you have ever been on a civil war battlefield, you know the eerie feeling I am talking about..
  • Options
    Awsome! Im hoping to find something, anything really. I just got into metal detecting as another hobby............
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    My parents just moved to Rossville, GA, only a couple of miles from the Chickamauga Battle Field. I'm going to detect any and all of the land I can in the area. I was in Norcross, GA this morning, on the 200+ acre parcel of land I live on (until next week). I've been detecting this spot for awhile, I've yet to find anything of note other than modern jewelry, despite the age of the parcel. The home I'm in is over 160 years old just to give you an idea. I walk out to a gravel laden spot on the land, look down, and I see what I believe is the hammer from a black powder gun. I don't know how I haven't found this thing detecting. I'll post pictures when I get back to Norcross tomorrow. It might be a random piece of junk, but it looks very suspect to me.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Got some permissions from the land owners around a local site. I am going to check it out, weather holding, this weekend and see what i can find. I will post any interesting things...............rob
    1964 Topps Football