Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

US Platinum Proofs and Palladium?

With the platinum proofs making up some of the lowest minted US coinage in this century, what do traditional collectors think of this series that is scheduled to end or possibly major overhaul in 2009? I would love to see a series done in Palladium which is 1/4 the cost of platinum but is similar is many ways. Both take over 9 months from ore to ingot and until 1843 they were thought to be the same mineral. Palladium is the sleeper metal if you ask me and I predict it will more than double in the next 3-5 years. image

Comments

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I agree with you on Palladium. I have invested some money in Stillwater palladium. Platinum is expensive but I do like the series. Changing the reverse every year is very cool and the reverse proof will be a great seller.
  • Options

<< <i>With the platinum proofs making up some of the lowest minted US coinage in this century, what do traditional collectors think of this series that is scheduled to end or possibly major overhaul in 2009? I would love to see a series done in Palladium which is 1/4 the cost of platinum but is similar is many ways. Both take over 9 months from ore to ingot and until 1843 they were thought to be the same mineral. Palladium is the sleeper metal if you ask me and I predict it will more than double in the next 3-5 years. image >>

If the auto industry can find a use for palladium and they start minting coins with them, I could see a large increase in its price. It definitely has potential for sure.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see a palladium series, but I doubt the metal will rise very much. Even with the new Canadian bullion coins, its use in catalytic converters, and other industrial applications, it has only gone up modestly in the last few years when compared to gold and silver.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea very much! With all the milk spot problems related to Silver Eagles, it would be very nice to see a series of white coins running on a cheaper metal than Platinum...
  • Options
    So why do you predict it will double? Is it being used in something new (besides a few coins)? I think it will actually go down to the price of copper since they are going to find a huge deposit of it in the next few years.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Several reasons. First off, the auto industry continues to redesign gasoline catalytic converters so that more palladium can be used in place pf platinum as well as recent changes that require more loading. In addition the rise in the Chinese auto industries and their own environmental changes have driven the price of both platinum and palladium to their current levels. While a slowdown in the Asian palladium jewelry market following a move from 95% to 99% has been attributed to recycling, the high price of gold and platinum continue to make palladium a popular metal for jewelry. The other reason I feel palladium will continue to rise is the continued demand for platinum resulted in a deficit in production and with a new generation of jet being built and the need for platinum within the high speed turbines means more manufacturers will seek to lower costs by utilizing palladium where they can. All Japanese gov funded dental work must use 20% palladium which should spread to other Asia markets.

But at the same time, the market will be quite challanging and a new manufacturing process development could send either metal up or down depending on who gets the nod. image