Home PSA Set Registry Forum

near future???? What does that mean????

Also, we are still working on resolving the delay on new certification numbers getting added to the registry database. We hope to have this problem resolved in the very near future.

Someone define near future

I've been waiting two weeks ...

Comments

• carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Sorry about the double post...

Use this one.

Carlos
  • I got about 11 cards back that I can't upload to the registry, but I checked the Submission Status for an additional 15 cards. They were listed with grades. When I tried to enter them into the Set Registry only one would load and that was a Nolan Ryan, none of the other 14 would load. Wus up?

Dale
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    Dale,

I was told last week that the database should be updated by last weekend. A week and a half later...NO UPDATE!!!

Now, today we all hear "NEAR FUTURE" Hummmm...1 week, 2 weeks, 1 MONTH, 2 MONTHS, yeah 2 months...why not...2 months to grade them, 2 months to database them. Sounds Good.

Carlos

PS I have to quote my 3 year old son on Christmas day... "DAD, Don't give me the toy (Tyco remote control car) if the batteries don't work." Now I know what my son was talking about. The car looked nice, but he couldn't play with it...
  • Carlos.

Thanks for sniping me on the 72 Topps Baltimore Orioles Team Records Card.

I can't wait until you guys get your sets done, so us small guys can get in.

It's fun watching you guys in the Registry.

It would be more fun if I was able to update.

Dale

1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    Actually, I think I'm done for a while on 72's. I have some bids in for this week and that's it for a while.

Good Luck.

Carlos
  • acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Carlos,

I know that it gets frustrating when you want to add cards to the registry, however, this is a free service that CU is providing. As such, I think they deserve a little slack now and then. Having multiple sets registered...I feel your pain as well.

The registry definitely builds loyalty to PSA as collectors piece together nice sets. I am sure that they are doing everything possible to keep it running and meet our "demands" for new sets to be added.

Regards,

Alan
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Alan,

I agree that its a free service that CU is providing and I also believe in giving a little slack because the folks doing it are extremely helpful and very easy to work with.

But, the Registry would never have been created had PSA thought that it would cost more than it generates. Those of us that got hooked on the Registry have added more graded cards to our sets than we ever would have imagined a couple of years ago. The thought of grading an entire set (newer than 1960) would never have occurred to most people. At last count, I've topped the $11,000 mark for grading fees for my own cards and those I've sold others.

When it comes down to it - we pay for the Registry through our grading fees and purchasing of more PSA products than we would have if the Registry were not around. We also are more likely stop buying cards graded by other services such as BGS, SGC and the also-rans - because we can't include them in our registered sets.

So, yes its a "free" service but we do pay for it in the end. I think Carlos does have a point when the answer comes back so nebullious that it isn't helpful. If they gave a timeframe people would know what to expect. If they fixed it in one week after saying two - people would be ecstatic.

Frank Bakka

68, 69, soon 70
    and a pretty nice 72 set.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
    Frank,

I don't disagree with your sentiment, however, sometimes it's difficult to track down a bug, estimate EXACTLY how long it will take to rectify a problem, or better yet...get ALL of the different companies who may be the cause of the problem (hardware, software, etc) to solve the issue in a timely manner. For instance, the issue may be database related...if so, how fast can/will Oracle or whomever fix the issue. Since I work in the IT field, I understand that SOMETIMES "Were doing everything we can" is the best, most honest, answer that one can give.

BTW - With regards to it being "free"...is there a set registry for SGC or BGS that I am unaware of??? Please provide me a link if one exists. I consider the registry "value add". I can't say that the registry is the only reason I prefer PSA or that I would choose another service if it wasn't there. Either way...I like the registry and hope that they do everything they can to maximize uptime.

Regards,

Alan

• FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Alan,

I know what you're saying. I've got a 2 Terrabyte 64 node IBM SP2 housing the info for 30 million customers with Insurance, Securities, Real Estate and Banking.

But, if I told my business partners that a major problem will be fixed in the "near future" without a best guess - they would skin me alive.

Frank Bakka - Director of Data Warehousing - Prudential Financial
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
    Frank,

I was unaware that anyone died because the registry went down. Can people still submit cards to PSA when the registry's down? Sure can. Does PSA lose money when the registry goes down? Maybe, but there are not any other registrys to compete with. I think most people realize that the registry will come back up "in the near future" and life will go on. If you're 50% complete on a PSA graded set...you're not gonna say "Damn, I am so appalled at the registry that I am going to discontinue working on the set and start only buying SGC or BGS cards!" My point is that when it comes to mission critical applications...this aint one of them.

Question: Would you rather them charge a nominal fee or require that you join the PSA Collectors clubs to list your set? Maybe additional resources would improve the availability...however...if we took a poll...I bet most would vote to keep it free and tolerate a few glitches.

Regards,

Alan

Frank & Allen,

I feel I should jump in here…

First of all I appreciate what PSA and their employees are doing with the registry. I enjoy the service and respect those PSA employees working daily to maintain and improve the site.

However, we should not be naive to think that this service is free. I look at it as “part of the PSA package”. I have a Platinum Level Membership that cost me $179.00, I personally have submitted over 2000 cards for grading, I purchased numerous PSA card boxes for my sets @ $5.00 each, and I have helped market PSA, THE SET REGISTRY, and THIS MESSAGE BOARD by word of mouth or my eBay auctions. The 1974 Topps Baseball set has 11 members. At least 6 of those members learned about the REGISTRY from me.

Allen, I don’t want to be negative on this or any board. I just feel like there should be a little more service in “customer service”.

Two examples beside THE REGISTRY ISSUES THAT I HAVE.

1) When card receive an N8 miscut grade (NOT Slabbed) the submitter is to receive a comp submission (or voucher). I must notify customer service to send my voucher along. WHY? Shouldn’t they be sent in the box with the cards? I feel silly always asking for these comps. And Charlie at PSA must hate getting my emails.
    2) Of the 700+ cards that I’ve been (and will be) sending in to PSA (Same batch of 1972 cards) now they are starting to come back TRIMMED (Hummm NO COMPS FOR TRIMMED CARDS).

That is off the subject. My concern is, KEEP ME INFORMED!!! And if they don’t…

Will I go elsewhere to get my cards graded? NO.

Will I remove my cards from the registry? NO.

Will I lose my passion? YES.

Carlos

Oh, by the way...

When I try to add cards to my 1974 Topps Baseball set, I get dumped to a generic CU page. I've chose to wait it out instead of bringing it to someones attention.

Carlos
    Carlos,

That you will lose your passion for building a nice set on the registry due to a somewhat minor inconvenience shocks me. It's not the first time I have been shocked and probably wont be the last.

Regards,

Alan

BTW - The fact that there are errors should be brought to someones attention. Obviously, we should tell them when something's broken...but I don't believe that we should get all bent out of shape when they are doing the best they can to provide a quality registry that NO OTHER COMPETITOR provides. Lastly, I do not mean to imply that CU should not do EVERYTHING within reasonable limits to provide high availability to the registry.
    Alan,

The MINOR inconvenience seems to happen more and more lately. And it is not just with the registry. It is with the "PSA package" that I talked about earlier.

I appreciate your feedback on this topic.

Carlos
    Carlos,

You're right about the downtime happening more frequently. Hopefully, whatever changes they made this last go round will "solve" the problem for awhile.

With regards to the total package...I agree that PSA should send you comps with the cards they return N8. You shouldn't have to ask. On the cards that are coming back trimmed, I don't think they owe me/us a complimentary submission for those cards. The fact that they caught the alteration is what I paid for. Hopefully, you can take the info and get your money back from the person who sold altered cards to you in the first place.

Regards,

Alan