Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Modern Master Player Set Collectors Please read.

Maybe I am the only one but I feel we are getting the short end of the stick from the Set Registry. Now they have upped the % to 90% to qualify for an award. My main set is the Favre master set. At present there are over 1500 cards in the set. I know for a fact that there were well over 6000 Favre cards last year, and there will be well over another thousand added this year and another 1000 next year (thanks to the flight to 420 topps and topps chrome (yes multiple refractors varations too) sets.

So as it stands right now one would need 1350 Favre cards. At a minimum that would be over $6750 in gradind fees if you could submit them all under a $5 special, which you couldnt. Now what really frosts my cake is that if I would be at over 75% right now I would only get 5 free gradings. While I can have a set that has 3 cards and get 1 free grading to upgrade a card. The ratio doesnt seem fair. The same applies for anyone trying any of the larger modern regular sets as well.

Anyone else feel this is out of line?
Packers Fan for Life
Collecting:
Brett Favre Master Set
Favre Ticket Stubs
Favre TD Reciever Autos
Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
Football HOF Rc's

Comments

• Options
    How many free gradings do you feel are warranted for a set of your size?

NathanSr
    Successful purchases: Lawnmowerman(2), Wabittwax, mkg809, thePlasticman

Successful sales: xphunk, vjsteele4, onefasttalon, five7teen, yankeeno7

Successful trades: mijang

Generous Souls: MBMiler25, DES1984
  • Options
    I have mix opinions on this.

on the one hand having to compile 4000+ cards for a players set is very costly and 5 free subs doesnt really make it seem like a great enough reward for all that compiling and $

on the other hand anything that is free should be concidered as a bonus. PSA doesnt have to give out free subs if they really didnt want to. If say PSA did stopped giving out free subs i seriously doubt it would stop people from compiling player's sets that have 1000s of cards. I know I wouldnt stop collecting.

Honestly I careless about free subs. What I care about is getting that plague with my name on it for being #1 image
  • Options
    I agree with both points - I'm working on the Roethlisberger and Bettis and 90% is very high! Perhaps PSA should consider giving free gradings at differant levels - 60%-75%and 90%!

fastwillie
    Current #1 Hines Ward Master Set
    Current #1 Hines Ward Basic Set
    Current #1 Ben Roethlisberger Master Set
    Current #1 Ben Roethlisberger Basic Set
    Current #1 Jack Lambert Master Set
    Current #1 Jack Lambert Basic Set
    Current #1 Jerome Bettis Basic Set
    Current #2 Jerome Bettis Master Set
    Current #1 Franco Harris Basic Set
    Current #2 Franco Harris Master Set
    Current #1 Jack Ham Master Set

succesful deals with CDsNuts and Bkritz thanks
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I have yet to use any of the free gradings i have coming based on completion %. My biggest gripe is that all sets have to be at the 90% completion level to be considered for any award. I would hope if anyone does on a master set that has 3000+ cards that they would win some major adward not just best set of the year in that master set.

As for the freebies they state that PSA realizes that not all cards for each set are that valuable and to encourage completion they are offering free subs as a reward to help further someones set. Well 5 cards out of 7000 is only a 0.07% of the set.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    "My main set is the Favre master set. At present there are over 1500 cards in the set. I know for a fact that there were well over 6000 Favre cards last year, and there will be well over another thousand added this year and another 1000 next year (thanks to the flight to 420 topps and topps chrome (yes multiple refractors varations too) sets."

Exactly why I don't collect modern cards. I don't know how you guys do it, or have the patience too.

Crazyness!

Good luck though,
    Jeff