Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I absolutely HATE companies who use mega glued stickers on slabs!!!!!

Bought this coin from Teletrade less than a year ago. Today I went to remove the Teletrade sticker on the back and this is what happened:

Now what am I to do? I really can't sell it like this with all the fake slabs going around. It is a Norway 1902 20K NGC MS64 which is a $400+ coin. I am so pissed.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sucks, Don - reholder?
  • Options
    I bet you are!

I am in Norway but I didn't do it...........image

I am sure someone will tell you a safe way to get the rest of shroom
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reholder? Yes, I guess. But I have to pay the fees and postage.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I'll give you 20 bucks and take that sorry looking thing off your hands so you won't have the problemimage
  • Options
    MY eyes are old (so is the rest of me image). Is part of the sticker still stuck to it or did it peel part of the plastic off?
  • Options
    It peeled the majority of the NGC holographic sticker off.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    OH crap! NGC's holographic stickers are on the outside of the slab. I didn't know that. Are PCGS' like that? I better go check mine.
  • Options
    The labels are probably designed to be destroyed if removal is attemped. Stops the less scrupulous from swapping labels onto lower grade coins
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Teletrade labels are sealed on with some kind of super glue and are impossible to remove. I hate them, too. image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the big TT logo simply photoshopped on their images? At least the ones I have bought from TT (via you) didn't have any sticker on them.

Did you do it to conform with ebay's new regulations ,ie photograph the entire slab? I would have thought that an obverse full photo would suffice.

Now what am I to do? I really can't sell it like this with all the fake slabs going around. It is a Norway 1902 20K NGC MS64 which is a $400+ coin. I am so pissed.

It looks as if reholdering it ,is your only option.Sorry to hear about it anyway. Nice coin.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Not being at all familiar with slabs, why would a Teletrade sticker be placed directly over an NGC sticker without being able to be removed? Some idiot at Teletrade should bear the cost of re-holdering...image

Is teletrade trying to reinforce its market position with unremovable stickers?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't the big TT logo simply photoshopped on their images? >>

They Photoshop the logo on top of the impossible-to-remove sticker they put on top of the slabs' holographic label. image
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Wonder what TeleTrade would do if you asked them to cover the reholdering/postage charges. That's bad for business....

Edited to add: Can't imagine this is the first time they've done this. It'd say a lot about their company to see how they respond.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed... no excuse to plaster a stupid sticker like that on the slab.

Because this is now turning into a RANTimage, I really get annoyed with dealers that can not treat a slab with a level of protection to prevent the surfaces from scratching... I have seen them tossed around like... well... like certain types of meals at fast food restaurants.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I can't tell you how many slabs come through the shop with those darn stickers plastered over the hologram and how many holograms I have torn off, it sucks!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    NGC slabs are cheaply made.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NGC slabs are cheaply made. >>

These stickers will tear the hologram off a PCGS slab with equal ease.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>

These stickers will tear the hologram off a PCGS slab with equal ease. >>

yup, those TT stickers easily take off both PCGS and NGC holograms; so i guess you can say they are both cheaply made if that is the criteria

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

These stickers will tear the hologram off a PCGS slab with equal ease. >>

yup, those TT stickers easily take off both PCGS and NGC holograms; so i guess you can say they are both cheaply made if that is the criteria >>

Just to iterate my earlier post. The hologram labels are likely to be tamperproof, they are designed to be destroyed if removal is attempted. Removing the TT label will damage them by design.
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    You can tamper with the slab without touching the hologram. If it were tamper proof the top layer of the label would have separated from the bottom leaving a bunch of voids on the back.

NGC slabs are just cheaply made.
  • Options
    I must say, it isn't all company stickers that are difficult to remove. I have had other companies sticker the slab and their sticker was easily removed. It's just that TeleTrade user industrial strength glue on their stickers.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I'll say again, isn't TeleTrade trying to establish territory the way a dog does, by marking it (the coin) so it's unmistakable?

Not what I might want...
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Teletrade is very well respected, especially for US coins and many rarities are consigned to them. They should be after those that shamelessly use their photos without even bothering to remove their logos. There are stickers and stickers, the little round ones in colour that NEN uses are among the best. Or Teller's and other seller's mysterious combinations of the alphabet ,in small white stickers, to note the price for themselves.

In Greek shops they do that too. You need to choose a word with 10 different letters. A well known Athenian dealer was using the word EIRHNODIKHS, (= a judge in Greek) where each letter corresponded from 1 to 10. He wasn't using the second H (spelled ee). A four word mix with N at the start meant a 5000+ drachma coin. If you knew his code it was easy afterwards.

PS: In fact, with the not so strong drachma, many were skipping two or three zeros. An IN meant 25 thousand drs. With the euro, they no longer have to do that.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I also have suffered with this type of sticker problem. I suggest you get yourself a bottle of a product called Goo-Gone. In my experience, it removes the stickers but not the holograms...which is not to say that it will work all the time, but I have has excellent luck with it.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    complain loudly to Teletrade

Can't hurt

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    The stickers are there for a reason. I had stickers made too but we also hate the "mega" glue so the kind of stickers we had made will peel off easily. If the customer wants to leave them on they leave them on. If they don't, it's a simple matter of peeling it off in one piece.