Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Which is the toughest high grade MS set - Indian Cents or Lincolns?

Indian Heads are classic and the most conditionally challenged.
Lincolns encompass a century and are incredibly popular.

I love both coins and their designs.

Is there a definitive answer to this question?

Post yours.

(PS: I'd love to hear what Stewart Blay has to say about this.
He has spent the best years of his life collecting the best of both series.)

Comments

• Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭
    I agree, Stewart might be the best source to answer this question, since he has #1 sets in both categories??
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess Lincolns due to all the branch mint coins.
  • Options
    If we are talking about high grade sets in RED, then the Indian Heads are the toughest. Few of the better dates exist in the higher grades in ORIGINAL red, as many have been recolored or otherwise molested over the years.

In the very highest grades, however, I would have to say the Lincolns, as some dates, notably the 1926-S in MS65 Rd, have a population of one, and like that date, many of the highest grades are already in collections with no prospects of early disposition.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Ira - your response is rather ellusive, and I value your opinion.

I want a definitive answer image

Take, for example, the 1872 MS Indian Head. Show me one in RD.

It doesn't really exist.
  • Options

<< <i>Ira - your response is rather ellusive, and I value your opinion.

I want a definitive answer image

Take, for example, the 1872 MS Indian Head. Show me one in RD.

It doesn't really exist. >>

Wasn't trying to be elusive, just crafting an answer that is based on my experience.
    There are far few collectors registered in the Indian Cent Basic set than in the 1909-1958 basic set in teh Lincolns, and that's beause the quantitiies are simply not available. This is particularly true if a 100% red set is desired. Yet, a full set in red CAN be achieved at a price under $100,000 or so, and as you know, a comparable red set in 1909-1958 Lincolns would cost at least $300,000 to acheive. Reying to get MS-65s or better in either set could push the prices easily to double or triple.

As far a the 1872 1c goes in full original red, I sold one to the owner of the #8 set in the basic Indian Cent collection in the Registry. The color was full red with a few blemishes that kept out of MS-65 category, but had the best red color I've ever seen in that grade. It hadn't been doctored in any way. The coin is illustrated in that set (my photo), so take a look.

It is my opinion that many dates in the Indian Head set from 1898 or earlier are woefully underpriced and if only 20 more adventerous souls decide to put together a complete red Indian set in the PCGS Registry, the prices you see today will be considered chump change. I think it's a real sleeper series.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    Ira - As far a the 1872 1c goes in full original red, I sold one to the owner of the #8 set in the basic Indian Cent collection in the Registry. The color was full red with a few blemishes that kept out of MS-65 category, but had the best red color I've ever seen in that grade. It hadn't been doctored in any way. The coin is illustrated in that set (my photo), so take a look.

Just had a look, and it looks borderline RB like every other nice "RD" 1872 I've ever seen. A great 64 though, better eye appeal than most PCGS 65's.

It is my opinion that many dates in the Indian Head set from 1898 or earlier are woefully underpriced and if only 20 more adventerous souls decide to put together a complete red Indian set in the PCGS Registry, the prices you see today will be considered chump change. I think it's a real sleeper series.

I agree. But my question wasn't about prices. It's about toughest coins to find in high grade MS.
    I think your last statement confirms that high grade IH's are very tough to find, even if, in some cases,
    the prices haven't yet caught up to them.
  • Options

I don't claim to know much about Indian cents, so I really can't say which series I think is "toughest". I'd like to point out what many already know about Lincolns. The late teens and early twenties S mints in RED can be excedingly difficult.

Jack

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Paul

The Indian cent dates from 1866 - 1873 in full red are almost impossible to get with original red collor.

The S mint lincolns such as 1916 S through 1928 S are also almost impossible to find in full red gem color.

To answer your question a high grade ms Indian cent set is more difficult to complete than a high grade ms Lincoln cent set.This has been my experience.

Stewart

• Options

To answer your question a high grade ms Indian cent set is more difficult to complete than a high grade ms Lincoln cent set.This has been my experience.

So, there you have it. Right from a guy who has done it. And done it in spades, I might add.

Jack

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To answer your question a high grade ms Indian cent set is more difficult to complete than a high grade ms Lincoln cent set.This has been my experience.

So, there you have it. Right from a guy who has done it. And done it in spades, I might add.

Jack >>

In spades and diamonds! image
    Doug
  • Options
    I love a definitive answer from someone who knows what he's talking about.

Thanks for chiming in Stewart.