Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Hank Aaron Hostess Panel just recently graded ! WOW! Take a look! Take an honest guess...come on.

Again, don't be ridiculous! Just curious because I don't grade too much modern stuff
especially panels as nice as this!

Aaron Panel

Really sorry about the fuzzy left side.

Tony

Comments

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice vivid color.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    would you believe it came back ...............- 5 - ................!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

For the absolute life of me, I can't figure this out! I have looked at this thing
    up and down all around, no creases, no corner bends, cuts, no roller marks,
    blah blah blah ! Someone can't can't grade at PSA !

Attn Joe---You gotta be kidding on this one? This is not an isolated item
    from a submission. The whole submission was like this. I wasn't expecting
    10's. I was looking for a nice group of 9's, maybe 1 or 2 tens and the rest
    8's, except for the ones I know had light, minor problems would probably 5 or 6.

But, come on !

Tony
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Can't tell from the photo yo posted... but I would guess there is a wrinkle on the front or back=5 everytime.
  • Options
    NO_NO_NO_NO_NO_NO_NO_NO_N) !!!!!! NO!

I just got done telling you I went up and down and up and around
    all over this thing!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    got to be a surface wrinkle. Or a pull on an edge where it was cut.
    Of course, you could crack it as is and it'll come back a 9 next time.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I've been grading a lot of panels in the last few years. I wrote the SMR article a few months ago on Bazooka, Hostess, Kraft and Drakes. A few Hostess I've got back look as good as this one and got a 5 because the print on the back was "fuzzy". That was absolutely the only thing I could find. If that is not the case I agree with the guy who said crack and resend. On Kraft panels I have several instances where I have jumped up 2 grades !
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crack and resend. One time I submitted a 1975 Hostess panel with Johnny Bench. It came back a psa 7 due to a corner ding that I know wasn't there when I submitted it. I cracked it open and used my paper cutter on it again. I ended up getting a psa 9 on my second attempt.
  • Options
    Redlegs, appreciate it, but, I think THAT IS the point. I shouldn't have to get a ridiculous grade
    like this to begin with!

Tony
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    No way.............thats much better than a 5 or a 7 imo...........Resubmit like redlegs said..................rob
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I wont tell you how many upgrades I get the second time around, but I have a batting average Ted Williams would be envious of. I'll admit more than half the ones I originally disagree with I on second look agree with the grade but the rest that I believe are just outright graded wrong and resend , I have a good upgrade percentage. Twice I received a grade lower and resent those 2 and both came back with the original grade. But why do you have to resend at all? It should be correct the first time. You cannot expect every card to grade the way you want it to, but most of us collectors have pretty good eyes by now, and the amount of disagreed grades is very high.
  • Options
    I've never bought or graded a panel but the top edge looks pretty wavy in the scan. Does that matter when grading hand-cut panels? I would think so. Maybe it's just the scan or my eyes but if it is wavy I'd try to correct that if you crack and resubmit.
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    Tony...

I think it's one of those cards that PSA holds up to the magic lamp that they have and on the first Tuesday's of the month...these cards have invisible creases that can only be seen then...and they give those cards...5's...I have one of those...and it has a PSA 2...not a crease on it...no corner problems...I keep the card as a keepsake...because under the PSA lamp I actually could see a crease...naked to the eye or to the touch...but it is there...what else can you do with a perfectly good looking card that has an invisible crease in it?
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    I see wavy cuts on MINT 9 panels ALL the time. Just look at ebay some time.

It always appeared to me that once it was cut well beyond the lines, it did not
    matter how the cut looked as long as it was clear by a wide gap.

It now appears as though it is NOT that way now!

Tony
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yeah looks like they missed this one......

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    doesnt anyone find it strange that you could crack out a panel/card and have it jump 2 grades. what does this really say about the consitentancy of the grading process. a jump from a 5 to a 7 is a big jump when looking at the overall grades. even more so if one goes back to the old days where mint was the top scale not gem mint.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    jradke4

I once had a insert of Kaline go from a (5) to an (8).....!

They just flat out mis-graded it the first time, that is why
    I sent it in. I understand these cases happen once in a
    while....i.e.-a mistake is made, but this whole invoice SUCKS
    CANAL WATER! THIS IS BS!

Tony
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    its pretty hard to mistake an nrmint for a ex card.

i have sent in a randy moss rookie card now two times. the first it came back recolored. the second time it came back a 6. i am going to send it in a third time and see how it comes back.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I once cracked a Staubach rookie BCCG 9 and it came back a PSA 7. Not bad I said. So I pressed my luck and cracked the 7. It came back an 8. WAHOOOO
  • Options
    jradke4

When it comes to anything except mainstream cards, I am here to tell you....
    They are ALL OVER the board on em!

Tony