Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Questionable Namath RC auction.....

Guys what do you think about this namath? The seller states he found in grandpaws attic. It just don't seem right................does it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190151219192
1964 Topps Football

Comments

• Options
    Plus he admits he stole the pics for his auction.

I wouldn't touch this.
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    It is crazy.......... Can't figure it out. How do folks get away with this consistently on ebay........
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    Here is the response he gave me back.......

"That is the ACTUAL card that I have. Unfortunately, however, mine has a flaw. So no, I couldn't get a whole lot for it. There is a flaw in the lower right hand corner. I had to show a pic of which Namath card I had for another bidder so I had to go searching for a pic of my card...MINUS the flaw. I wish mine didn't have the flaw....I know I could get a LOT for it. My grandfather passed away and I got it from his attic. It wasn't in any protective cover, so I am assuming some mice may have nibbled on the corner. I want to get a pic of MINE up...give me a couple of days...Thursday at the latest! I will do my best. "

What do ya think......... I had mentioned that if this was authentic he could get quite a bit out of it from the looks of the photo. Appearently it is not the card for sale. When I get a pic I will put it on for you guys. I just don't like it when folks list something but aint got no dang pic............
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    LINKAGE

I would stay far away from this one..... Seems like the typical "my grandfathers card story"..

• Options
    I told seller I needed a actual picture of card he had for Sale. This is his response:

I will actually have a pic of the actual card on tomorrow...time unknown, but my sister in law is going to scan it for me...thank goodness...I have had sooooo many questions about this card...Finally some questions can be answered...oh if u know anybody with a GOOD digital camera up for sale...let me know..LOL

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    You know, most new ebay users are this retarded and clueless about how ebay works that it's completely possible that's he's telling the truth. A good scam artist would have stole a pic of high dollar PSA card and said he owned it. This looks like alot of work to scam somebody for $20. Sadly enough, I think he's telling the truth, I think he's just clueless about the proper way to sell something. Odds are though, you'll probably get the card sent to you in a plain white envelope with no sleeve or toploader.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree. I think this dude is being honest. Sounds like he just started listing on ebay and is trying his best. Heck, I might just throw $25 at it to see if it works.

SL
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    guys you may be right, he even sent a personal email to me on this stating he is new. He mentioned that the card has some damage on one corner but that the color and even the centering is good. May not be a bad pickup...........
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

You'll need more than 25 bucks to win this one Shane.

My snipe is locked and loaded.
    Been looking for a rodent partially eaten Namath rookie card on eBay for years now ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    I am hoping that the guy knows something about cards though. The last thing I want to do is win a 1970 Namath that a rat chewed on.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭✭
    His picture is up. Sure does look like a rat chewed it.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    The rodent was clearly a Colts fan. Sadly, taking into account the lifespan of the average rat, it is doubtful it witnessed the Colts return to Super Bowl glory last season.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    at least the little guy didnt knaw the meat off his throwing arm

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

LMAO.....!!!imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Wow!!! All I can say is that it has nice centering. I will take it for $20.

Shane
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    AP News reports this is the first time in Ebay history the old "grandfathers attic/can't get a scan" story turns out to be true. Shocking.
  • Options

<< <i>AP News reports this is the first time in Ebay history the old "grandfathers attic/can't get a scan" story turns out to be true. Shocking. >>

• Options
    If sent to PSA, its quite possible that the card would come back un-holdered stating "evidence of nibbling"! wouldn't you agree?
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    My snipe is set.

I've also been working on a partially rat eaten HOF RC set for years now. The Namath is definitely a low pop for that set. One came up about 4 years ago along with a '52 Yale Larry that had part of his head chewed off. A couple of the "partially rat eaten" set collectors actually drove the prices up pretty high.

The baseball collectors seem to find a lot more of these rat eaten cards, than the football collectors do ... so it's an extremely tuff set to finish. There's been a little controversy lately as one of the collectors in the top 10 rat eaten sets, was accused of cracking out regular cards and having his cat nibble off the corners.

There's a web site and message board dedicated to the partially rat eaten HOF RC sets. You can access it at:

Hungry, Hungry HOF'ers

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options