Home Metal Detecting

My First Finds

Well, I got my Ace 250 about 2 weeks ago, and have been out every chance I can get.

Apart from less than $1 in clads (still trying to get the hang of it) I've found a few relics.

First, behind my parent's house (which sits on top of the foundations of a house that dates back to the early-mid 1800's) I found this button (can anybody tell me anything about it?):

Front:

Back:

Then, while telling my father about my research into different sites that I'd like to search, he said "well, there's those remains of the stone foundations of that old barn back in our pasture..."

What?! In my whole life of playing and hiking around my grandparents/parents land, I have NEVER had any idea that these existed! Based on maps I have of the area, it's an early 1800's barn foundation that has been nothing BUT a ruined foundation at least since my grandparents bought the land in 1948.

I made him take me back and we did a quick search (I'll have to get back in the fall when the brush dies back). Found what looks to be some kind of buckle, probably from a horse harness (item on the left):

We then went and did a quick search at the site where my great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather built his house/barn on the land deeded to him for fighting in the Revolution. (My grandfather told the story that the carpenters were pulled off the job of building the house by my forefather to go and fight The Battle of Sackets Harbor in the War of 1812, where my forefather was a Col in the local militia.)

I have not been able to do much searching at this site, but hope to get back once the field has been plowed. Found the item on the right in the above pic, as well as this "Tattoo" compact, which could date back as early as the late 1940's, but is probably early 1950's:

Front:

Back:

I'll be posting another thread about an incredible potential search site here that has me very frustrated.
Need to finish my Kennedys and Jeffersons!

Comments

• WoW
    Sounds like a VERY good site ! ! !

Good Luck

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Definately looks like alot of potential in those sites, Sackets Harbor you say? - thats in my neck of the woods, I am northeast in St. Lawrence county.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your Great Seal button is a type used in both World Wars, and maybe as early as the Spanish-American war (I forget). Were I to guess, I would put yours in the WW1 period; early 1900s, anyway. The item on the right in your third picture (next to the buckle doodad) is a rivet used for fastening leather, I believe. I have found a number of them on 19th century sites. I don't know if they were used in saddles or what, but they're a common find, and usually for me, when I am out relic hunting unknown vanished homesites, they are an indication that I'm getting close to a site of the right period.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • i see some great finds in your future...keep hitting those sites and you will find....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Thanks everyone!

Lordm--thanks for the info. The button is only about the size of a dime--does that shed any light as to a date?

Kevinstang--I'm going to send you a pm.
    Need to finish my Kennedys and Jeffersons!