Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Do we like this idea?

The coin registry collection listings have added a feature to the sets.
For each entry of the coin, the grade is given, but in a separate column is listed the number of higher graded examples. In other words if the highest graded example was an 8, and you had an 8 listed, then the column would show a zero. Were there a 9 extant, then that column would show a 1 etc.

I am not aware of the folks at PSA adopting this aspect. I'm lukewarm to the idea. I look upon whatever I have listed as the best example that has come my way or that I could afford. Somehow I would feel that my efforts were second rate at best. (We are not all blessed with copious Varghabux).

Any thoughts?
THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Comments

• Options
    I agree.....that feature would only serve to make some of us lowly 7 & 8 collectors feel less worthy........"Set Registry Envy".....Didn't Dr. Ruth do a study on that?
    1963 Topps ~THE JOHN MCLEOD COLLECTION
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Agreed...

If I'm collecting 8's then there's no reason to kep reminding me that there are 140 people who have a better card than mine. I could pay for the pop report if I wanted that. I should be able to choose ingnorance if I prefer.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I've made a semi-tongue-in-cheek suggestion in the past somewhat along these lines. My suggestion was more along the lines of "% of best known examples in set". For example, z9856 would have something like 99.99% of best-known examples for his 1970 Kelloggs and 1964 Topps Giants set. With the result being that no other set could be built that would surpass that set.

It's more of an ego-stroke than anything, and I think that there is currently enough of that driving the registry. No need to encourage more.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Mikeschmidt, I'm thinking maybe the other collectors of my sets could have a notation next to their individual cards of something like "z-beat" or "gemminted" image

Actually, I expect quite a lot of competiton for the top ranks. I know of collectors out there who are putting together very high graded sets that just haven't registered yet.
  • Options
    If after they add the ability to have anyone register any card they want, they can add all the bells, whistles, and gadgets they like. This particular idea isn't that great as most collectors are just looking to build a collection or complete a set at a level they can afford, and they don't need to be constantly reminded that there are better cards out there tha what they have.
  • Options
    Rather than showing the number of higher grade examples, why not show the remaining number of cards in that grade that are unregistered? That way, you wouldn't be constantly reminded that there are better examples out there but it would demonstrate how difficult it was to obtain that card, no matter the grade. This may also promote more respectability in mid-grade sets where, the collector may not be willing to spend the "Varghabux", but may have a card that was very difficult to obtain. Also, this shouldn't infringe upon the population report because it would only be reporting the remaining number of specific cards in a single grade. For example, if I were to obtain a card in any grade with a population of 10 and there were 4 of the same card previously registered in other collector's sets, the number would show 5. There would be 5 of the 10 cards already obtained and registered including mine. Or, since it wouldn't be entirely accurate this way because there are cards in collections that may never become registered, possibly just reporting the number of known examples in that grade? I understand that this would be quite difficult because it would need to be constantly maintained and checked, but it is an option that I would like to see the registry have.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Options
    I would like to hear what others think of my suggestion? Is it viable or would it be useless to other collectors?
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    David -- my two thoughts are firstly that it would file somewhere down the list below adding sets and secondly that most set collectors who are building Registry sets subscribe to SMR online as well as keeping tabs on "available" grades for cards that they need to upgrade.
  • Options
    Vargha - You are right but, since others were complaining that the previous idea would make those who don't collect "greatest" known sets, I felt that this would add some respectability to lower grade sets. No matter the grade, when there is a population of two or three cards, it is difficult to obtain and I thought that this may reinforce that idea. I definitely agree that it should fall well below adding sets to the registry. Thanks for your thoughts Vargha.