Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Who else likes the coin pictured on the new PCGS price guide...

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
Better than that awful bullion thing that is not even a coin!

I SURE DO!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some very nice coins pictured so far! image
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Definitely one of the nicer ones thus far.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet that Dale & Stacey do!
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Frankly I really like the August issue cover the best but maybe it's just me. image
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    image I like it.

Been a couple so far that have taken my breath away. image

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Why can't I like both of them?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. Nice colors.
  • Options
    Yes they are coins and very pretty awesome ones at that. Not all coins have to be old and crusty to have beauty and value. image
  • Options
    How can a brand new piece of bullion that looks like it was designed by a 3rd grader be pretty and have value.

I threw that awful August crap out before the new one even came out!
  • Options

<< <i>How can a brand new piece of bullion that looks like it was designed by a 3rd grader be pretty and have value.

I threw that awful August crap out before the new one even came out! >>

Thanks, that coin on the cover is mine and happens to be the least minted US coin since 1915. Top Pop PR70DCAM. Most real collectors agree that the series with the changing reverses is absolutely beautiful and without a doubt much prettier than those crusty chunks of worthless corroded silver some collect. Talk about some real ugly coins, dimes have got to hold the top spot and even the Mint is hesitant to spend time or money redesigning it. I can say it is easy to spot the old geezers on these boards as they hold their crusted and rusted pieces of yester year above all others as though only their coins matter. Guess what fellas, they don't. image
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most real collectors agree that the series with the changing reverses is absolutely beautiful >>

I think the changing reverse are really awesome myself!

<< <i>Talk about some real ugly coins, dimes have got to hold the top spot and even the Mint is hesitant to spend time or money redesigning it. >>

This comment was just wrong! image Its what you like to collect!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Most real collectors agree that the series with the changing reverses is absolutely beautiful >>

I think the changing reverse are really awesome myself!

<< <i>Talk about some real ugly coins, dimes have got to hold the top spot and even the Mint is hesitant to spend time or money redesigning it. >>

This comment was just wrong! image Its what you like to collect!

Later, Paul. >>

Okay, I retract that since I don't really believe it anyway. I used to collect dimes as a kid. Just ticked at dimeman's comments. image
  • Options
    Griv you can be ticked at me all you want but that won't change the fact that all modern coins are just butt ugly.

As for changing the design of the dime.......it doesn't matter...... it will be butt ugly too!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not see it as I toss it when ever if arrives..tell me again why this is being published?

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    lol..mine are all mib....mint in bag image
  • Options
    Funny. Now you went from being just a jerk to being somewhat entertaining. My guess is you are what you say you are, a dime man and I applaud you. I really don't think being ugly about other collectors and their choices of what to collect is appropriate and I admit I was lulled into the same quagmire and for that I apologize.

Bullion and their designs:

Silver ASE
    Unless you live under a rock it would be impossible not to recognize the standing liberty/walkers design that the Mint chose for the obverse of the silver eagle. 21 years of production have not only produced an awesome series and beautiful coin but has represented the American spirit during some of our most challenging times.

Gold AGE
    The Augustus Saint-Gaudens design that was reused with the modern gold eagle series is considered world-wide to be the most beautiful design of any US coin. The eagles reverse was designed to symbolize American family values.

Platinum PAE
    I admit that the obverse was somewhat simplistic and in your face but after years of SOL collecting I have come to appreciate the simplicity. Especially when you consider that this is the only US series in which the reverse has changed (proof only until the 2006-W UNC) every year. There seems to be a message in this coin that every American can see and appreciate. We have a simple, strong and common desire that is the hallmark of the American spirit but the openness to understand the ever changing times and circumstances.

I am also excited about the various Eagle/SOL series because it is the first time in my short life that the coinage has not only a numismatic value but a intrinsic metal value as well that allows collectors to hedge their investments. Not since 1933 has this been a reality other than with silver of course.

The bottom line is that modern bullion coins are some of the most beautiful coinage ever produced by the US Mint and while very much different from traditional circulated coinage, it is both exciting and rewarding to collect so feel free to jump in fellas, the water is fine. image
  • Options
    Dimeman,

You may wish to check your coinage history. The Barber dime amoung others that you show so proudly were in their time considered completely lacking in artistic merit. Your views are your own.

ericj96
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Barber dime amoung others that you show so proudly were in their time considered completely lacking in artistic merit.

They still are. image
  • Options
    Since not everyone has seen the reverses of the plat proofs I thought I would share the pictures of each year. These are actually NeoStar's pictures of his perfect $25 PR70DCAM platinum set, #1 in the PCGS Registry. I hope that's okay Ben. image

Just one more year of the SOLs to go. image
  • Options
    The set is lovely. The lowest mintage modern super set. Some can't see the beauty and potential because they can't get over unfounded perceptual barriers. Time will be our judge.
  • Options
    Anybody not liking the Barber coinage just doesn't know beauty when they see it!

Griv, I wouldn't take up space in my coin cabinet with that bullion junk you pictured.

The only reason there are people going after the modern and bullion in the super high grades is because of the Registry. If the Registry were to suddenly go away the people owning that junk would be stuck, but it would have little or no impact on the classics. Most of the classic collectors aren't even in the Registry!

Don't tell me how rare this crap is on coins like the 2003-P cent in 70 when there are millions 68 or 69 worth nothing. The Registry has created a monster here and I am not the only one who thinks this. I'm just one of the few who will share my opinion!
  • Options
    That's right, millions and millions but only 1 MS70. That makes it worth even more. I agree the Registry has accellerated some of my purchases but since I buy and sell to people all of the time that are NOT in the Registry I see a market that apparantly you are not aware of. Besides, the US Eagles represent more than just beautiful coins produced from scarse and valuable metals, they are a source of American pride. Maybe that is what you lack dimeman.

I have a couple of gold Eagles that were recovered from the ruins of the Twin Towers following the attack on 9/11/01 and there is something to be said for the feeling that you experience holding one of those coins. So with that said I feel this forum is not the place to trade insults on what other people collect so while I respect your opinion I think your comments are inappropriate. I'm sorry you can't appreciate the modern coinage as you are missing a lot, the Mint has really started to get creative, but I also realize that when one reaches a point in life that they close their minds to tomorrow they are just hoping to live through the day.

It must suck being you. image
  • Options
    Griv, Don't you dare talk to me about American Pride!!!! I spent a year in Vietnam and fly the Flag in my front yard every Day!!!!!!!!!!

So, back off on that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    DimeMan,

"That bullion junk Griv pictured" as you said, belongs to me. Do you randomly open your mouth; point it at somebody; and let it defecate at will? Is this a condition you suffer? I will not comment on your set as I respect your desire to do the same thing I do, collect what you like. I do ask that you do the same sir. Yes, I'll even extend my respect as to address you as "SIR".

When I look at people that randomly start threads to criticize what others like or dislike I can only ask myself: What happened to you? Were you bulied as a child?

I feel sorry for people like you; furthermore, I feel sorry for the people that have no other choice but to deal with you. Mind what you collect and have a great day!

Ben
  • Options
    By the way sir, I spent a year in Bosnia. You talk about pride and then criticize what we Americans produced. American Eagles are made with pride. I guess if Griv is not allowed to say it in your book, I am since I am a veteran too. I went and fought and came back. The difference between you and I is: I left my anger behind.

Die hard collectors, like all of us here are, should show respect for each other. I will never criticize what you collect, nor I will start a thread to bash you; please do the same. Your actions say a lot about you, conduct yourself with pride. I fought in Bosnia for Griv's right (and yours too) to collect what he wants. It is called freedom!
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear that you aren't criticizing modern coinage for any reason than your own preference and I can respect that. I too am a veteran but where I served I am not allowed to discuss so let's not try to one up each other there. Sounds like we all had a little lead flung our way. I am always ready to support a copper-lead clad commemorative coin.

I think the bottom line is that we are all collecting the things that make us happy and that's really what it's all about. I know you have strong opinions and I also respect them but I think you could be less insulting to the many collectors here that do appreciate the modern designs? Even if you don't agree I think it makes sense not to be mean. Can we at least agree on this?
  • Options
    Griv,

It is nice to see that your coin made the cover of the magazine. It was a great article to read!
  • Options
    I think it would be more accuarate to say your old coin. image Thanks again, that was one hard coin to track down and one of my very favorites.
  • Options
    You put that coin on the cover of a magazine! It doesn't get better than that. Thank you! image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree the August cover is the most boring to date. Why didn't PCGS just put an image of the label on the cover? It sounds like that is the best part.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>I agree the August cover is the most boring to date. Why didn't PCGS just put an image of the label on the cover? It sounds like that is the best part. >>

No one has made that ignorant comment yet so the only person you are agreeing with is your own bigoted self and frankly no one cares what your opinion is anyway. Just another jerk that thinks insults is a way to promote their own lack of self-esteem. Almost 12,000 posts you've made and this is what you come up with. Another old geezer with his bag of corroded chips of silver, worthless to ANYONE but a hardened collector and ready to criticize coins that he does not have. The attitudes of the old farts in coin collecting is one of the MAIN reasons I abandoned classics. Too many decrepit, fat and foul old farts that treat everyone as if somehow they don't have the credentials to even discuss coins with them. You and dimeman should join justjohn and start you own thread about who has the closest mind.

No offense to the non-foul old farts. image

The truth is that I initially declined the interview for the very reasons I hear, because old coin farts don't consider bullion coins as coins but after several calls I decided to go ahead. The fact is my Chaos Collection can stand toe to toe with almost ANY coin set, sporting 282 grade 70 proofs and unc gold, silver and platinum eagles and I get sick of hearing the stupid comments of criticisim from someone who has probably never even seen a grade 70 coin in their entire life.
  • Options
    Griv, you are really showing your true colors now. I have never attacked you as a person and I never will. But, boy you just let if fly when another person jumped in sharing my views. Believe me there are many many more that just don't want to get flamed. There is a group of my COIN club members that travel to shows together that stunned when we see what some people will pay for an IKE in MS whatever. The IKE and the SBA are tied for the MOST BUTT UGLY COINS EVER!!!!

I took my grandson to a show one time, he is 12, when he saw what they were charging for the modern coins, he asked why would you pay for coins you can get in change? I couldn't give him a good answer!

The real COINS that you could buy for what was spent for that 03 cent just makes me sick.

I don't know what your bullion coins cost and don't really care, but if is much more than spot you got took.

My only observation in this whole thread is how ugly the modern coins and bullion stuff is and that it is NOT rare.

You act like PF70 is ultra rare and should be worshiped! When in fact shouldn't coins double struck with special dies last week be in pretty good shape!

Again, I am NOT attacking you as a person or as a collector. I just don't like modern stuff because it is what it is MODERN.

If you can honestly say that you think the coins in circ now are as pretty as the seated or barber or bust or the mercs or the walking libs or the standing quarters then we will be at this forever. And we don't need that.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If the Registry were to suddenly go away the people owning that junk would be stuck, but it would have little or no impact on the classics. Most of the classic collectors aren't even in the Registry!"

Dimeman - Go take a minute and read the thread on the US Coin Forum from Shylock concerning the $100,000.00 1909-S Indian cent.

Griv - You know what comes with "fame" - and you pointed out you decliined the interview before changing your mind after repeated requests. Dimeman did not explain to his 12 year old grandson why coins one can find in pocket change can be worth a great deal of money.... he didn't even tell the boy that when he was a kid he was able to pull all sorts of Mercury Dimes from change and now they can be worth as much as $100,000.00+ each! If he didn't discuss that concept with the young numismatist, he will not take the time to consider ANYTHING you type back at him so why bother. That said - I believe Dimeman actually is as passionate about his opinion as you are about the future of certain Eagle coins.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Dimeman, no I don't and you are wrong. Some 70s are quite common, some are like hen's teeth. I also don't think that bullion coins are the end all be all, it's what I collect and is no better than what anyone else collects. Your comments are mean spirited and if you ask me are intended to create this exact kind of exchange. From you comments I can see that you are a fairly closed minded individual whose first inclination is to insult something you don't like. I seem to have read several other posters that took offense at your comments and since you chose to jump in and insult my collection and me, I've gotten a tad testy. First the Walking Liberty is on the silver bullion coin. Second the Augustus Saint-Gaudens design which is undisputedly the most beautiful US coin ever produced and you call these modern coins trash? You don't even know what you are talking about.

I realize there is a bunch of your "COIN club members that travel to shows together" and the impression is that they are all close minded like yourself. You immediately assume that since you and your buddies are the only "legit" collectors out there. While I may not be as old as yourself, I've been collecting since 1966 and I am stunned when some old fart tells me that my coins are "trash". Are you trying to make friends and influence people? I went a little overboard and a poster called me on it and I immediately apologized, but you just keep coming back with more insults and justification for basically being a coin bigot.

Well I hope you didn't pay too much more than face value for your crusted slices of yester year because based on your warped sense of value, it is YOU that got took, and bad. If there ever was a national crisis and our economy was disrupted, just remember you won't be able to by a donut and a cup of coffee with your bag of dirty dimes. image

I would tend to agree on the SBA and Ikes which is why they were never popular but many people like to collect them and that's cool. I also think ALL the Barber coins are ugly and inappropriate. A stolen design from yester year that represents NOTHING of the country that minted it. In fact while I agree these are exciting coins to collect, they pale in comparison to the beauty of the modern bullion coins. I can tell you really didn't take a look at the platinum series picture I posted either that or your eye sight matches your tolerance.
  • Options
    Griv - Your rambling about how my little silver discs are worth face value shows just how stupid you are about coins and coin collecting.

And it is not just me and my buddies who feel the way we do about the classics. And to wondercoin, yes I could find Mercury dimes in circulation when I was a kid, in ag to xf at best. You CAN NOT compare the clad coins put out by the billions now to the coins minted in the past years like 1796 to 1930. You can not call a coin rare because it is MS70 when there are millions in the grades below.

I don't know how anyone can call the modern bullion designs beautiful at all. You might as well buy the Franklin Mint crap!!!

The beautiful designs are gone and there never will be another beautiful coin minted period!!!!! Coins with real people on them just look like crap and that is all there is to it.

Just when you think it is as ugly as it can get they come out with coins uglier, like the new president dollars. There is no way to describe how ugly those are!!!
  • Options
    "to wondercoin, yes I could find Mercury dimes in circulation when I was a kid, in ag to xf at best.

Dimeman - Isn't this the exact point of some of the modern collectors - just because it is pocket change today doesn't mean great condition rarities can not and will not develop over a generation or two?

And, what did you think of the 1909-S indian cent thread with the $100,000.00 pop 1/0 "registry" coin? Still believe registry is only for moderns?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch, It's one thing to want a seated dime in AU58 than say a modern in 69 or 70.

With the exception of ONLY ONE coin, you could buy every coin in the seated dime series in AU to BU for less than what that 03 cent cost. That coin being the 74-CC, which could be bought in a low grade for that money. Tell me honestly which are rarer! And which has a bigger customer base?

No, I do not think that the 09-S is worth 100K, to me anyway. And yes the Registry problem can be found in the classics. There are a few people with deep pockets out there that are buying points so they can be #1. If you look at my set you will see that I am not a "point" collector! I try to buy at the grade right before the big jump and I buy the coin NOT the holder.
  • Options
    "you could buy every coin in the seated dime series in AU to BU for less than what that 03 cent cost"

Dimeman - I haven't done the research, but it is your position then that except for one Seated dime date, you could buy the entire seated dime series in AU/BU for around $15,000? You are referring to just the 1873-1891 date run here - right (minus -2- CC dimes)?

I appreciate you recognizing that registry fever can be just as high with classics as moderns.

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>There are a few people with deep pockets out there >>

So now it comes out, poor little poor boy. First off the Chaos Collection was #1 in all 69 and in fact my set is the only one EVER completed so it could be chalk full of 66s and still be #1 so I collect for myself not for the Registry but do find it nice to have a place to keep track online and compare to other collections. It's fun, maybe that's what you lack in your life. Heck I found xfs in circulation back in the 60's so it wasn't that long ago they were common place.

The other point I want to make (3rd time by the way) is that the silver bullion uses the walking liberty you profess to be a classic and the gold eagles use the classic Augustus design form the classic $20 gold piece. This considered the GREATEST US COIN DESIGN of all time. What am I missing here other than you give a new meaning to dense?

As I was painting the last of my basement after my last post, it occurred to me why really bugs me about your posts. It's not really so much your totally uneducated views on bullion and modern coinage or even your criticism of my set and of me. I think it's just that your sour attitude reminds me of the bitter old coin dealers I used to deal with as a kid and why I stopped collecting the classics. I had quite an extensive silver collection with almost all of the Wash Qtrs, a good number of all the Barbers, Mercs and Roosies, almost all of the Walkers and Standinq Qtrs/Halves and around 25 Morgans and Peace dollars. I inherited many from my grandmother who had been collecting since she was a child. This was not a chump set. Somewhere along adolescence I decided that collection was better served in someone else's possession so I took it to my trusty local coin shop where I had been spending my allowance for the past 10 years to sell. Even though I read the red book like the holy Bible the dealer insisted that my coins were relatively worthless and that he had YEARS of grading experience. Even then I knew I was being ripped off but at 16, girls were more important that some old collection. Over the years I came to realize exactly what I had given up and don't be surprised if one or more of those coins are in your set. The other issue I shared in the article (that you threw out) where many years later as my interest in coins returned, my local coin dealer grew tired of selling me bullion coins even though we was making money on me and told me to just go to eBay and buy my coins. Imagine that. I can't even go in there anymore as he looks at me as if he is going to cry. What an opportunity lost.

So the point of this seemingly endless ramble is that people like you dimeman drive others out of the hobby. What your pea brain doesn't realize is that the more people who collect the more the coins are in demand which in turn raises the value of all collectable coins. Maybe if you understood that you wouldn't be stuck buying rusted jars of coins from old ladies at garage sales. image

Anyway, my wonderful new wife asked me a few minutes ago after I was remarking what a total bigot dimeman seems to be and she asked, "Have you reached the point where you consider yourself to be arguing with an idiot?" Enough said. image

Mitch- I don't consider it any fame to own a bunch of coins and now regret the article. The set or the coins may be famous but I'm just the smuck that owns them. image

If you want to see something really famous . . . image
  • Options
    It really like it image
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    Mitch - I was stating that each coin in the entire series could be bought for less than the 03 cent went for.

Griv - I didn't forget your mention of the designs of classics used for modern. They are close but no cigar! A silver eagle looks like a plastic medal compared to the Walking Liberty Half. And the gold isn't any better.

And as far as the dealer ripping you off.....he probably was somewhat, but most coins from people's jars contain low grade problem coins that aren't worth much unless you have some keys. And I really doubt that any of your coins made it into my set!

If you want to talk coins OK, but you can stop the personal attack on me anytime!imageimage
  • Options
    You still don't seem to read more than one or two sentences of my posts and I feel that you lack the ability to comprehend simple discussion. This was not some change jar collection but one that my grandmother started as a child and was in great condition. And sure, you could VERY well have a coin or two. As for the new coins with old designs, your eyesight must really suck. It's sad too as these coins are awesome and you and your pea brain still can't grasp that modern coins are FAR MORE BEAUTIFUL than that crap you have on your signature . Sure they are great coins to collect but butt ugly doesn't even begin to describe them. Paltry comes to mind but plain might be a better word. In some ways they are an embarrasment to our country and should have been meated down long ago as useless scap/crap. How dare you act as though you are taken back by my posts? I expect an apology or you can just put up with me and my posts. You are the mean spirited bigot that started this and for some reason insist on the final word. How I pity your grandson, having you to teach him about numismatics. image So you can have the final word as I have had enough of you and your mindless opinions. image

Again,
  • Options

Boy, Griv, looks like you know how crappy your coins are and can't take it so you attack me and the classics.

If other collectors are reading this useless crap you are spewing, I sure don't understand why they don't jump in and set you striaght like dble55 did.

As for me, Griv, I am not going to waste anymore time on somebody that doesn't know sh*t about coins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Griv, your coins do not interest me. Why should they? As for the label comment, it is based on your statements nothing else.
  • Options
    << Griv, your coins do not interest me. Why should they? As for the label comment, it is based on your statements nothing else. >>

Why do you think I care what you think? Since I'm sure you and nickeldimeman are buds and since neither of you have taken the time to even read my replies I recognize that I am wasting my time responding to a couple of bitter old men who not only are clueless about numismatics but are also mean spirited and hateful. Just the kind of collectors that give coin collecting a bad name and drive so many potential collectors away. Don't be surprised if we run into each other at a coin show sometime so since you threw out the mag, here's a couple of pics so you can recognize me. image

Me climbing the 600 foot face of Stone Mountain.

Last year's climb on Denali

Pulling the roof on Daddy Bear 5.11a
  • Options
    You crack me up Griv. I don't even know who dbledie55(sp) is. And what is throwing out the mag?

It seems to me you were the first to attack me personally, but if it was me, I apologize.

My whole point of this thread was to show how much I dislike moderns and bullions aren't even coins, so why collect them?

This was never an attack on the collectors just the coins. I do tend to get back when someone attacks me and I should not have done that.

I hope we do meet at a coin show sometime so we can argue about the coins we like in person. I don't know about the mag thing. I go to most all of the STL shows and some of the Central States shows in the midwest.

Oh, by the way, I have been up Stone Mtn, also back in the 80's sometime.
  • Options
    Griv, it is quite clear you care deeply about what people think. You may want to go back and read your own rants.
  • Options
    I just received this months issue today. I see the cover coin was once featured in a book by a family friend.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sure don't understand why they don't jump in and set you striaght like dble55 did. >>

Maybe other collectors of classic's don't feel the "NEED" to attack the coins that some of us collect.
    You know, live and let live. Moving to the beat of a different drum. Freedom of choice.

I have nothing against you Jon, I even like you, it just gets hard to take having you pop up here every week or so, spewing out the same crap about classics/good, moderns/evil.
    There's only two reasons to collect any object. One is for investment, the other is for fun.
    Let us have our fun and place in collecting, without poping up every once in a while and taking a big p*ss on us.
    I hope every coin you collect goes up in value X ten in ten yrs. But most of all, I hope you have fun collecting them. peace out.
    Dan
  • Options
    I personally have NEVER seen a coin on the cover that was not awesome. Thank you to PCGS for highlighting these beauties! image