Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

?? On Calif Fractional Gold Value!!

BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
1854 Dollar variety BG-534 PCGS au55 pop 1 Any idea of its value?
theknowitalltroll;

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    A PCGS AU50 sold at Heritage in June for a little under $10K, so easily over $10,000.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    BG-534 is a desirable piece - with the "slug" style reverse. Unfortuunately with a population of 9 pieces graded by PCGS, combined with the fact that Cal Gold is a very thinly traded market, it could be difficult to place a credible a value on the piece.

The Jay Roe collection piece was an AU 58 piece graded by PCGS ( assume that is the same pop 1 piece you are referring to) and it sold for $12,650 in 2003. Based on the recent prices for the AU50 piece commoncents05 refers to selling for 10k in 2006, and a recent sale of an XF40 piece for just under 8K, the value has probably not changed much. Probably still in the 12-13k range. I have not seen any sales of the 3 higher ranked pieces in the intervening years that might indicate a plausible trading range.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one I'm referring to was just very recently graded by PCGS so I can't guarantee the pop report is exact. Its not mine, but the owner is interested in a rough value in case he would decide to try to sell it.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BAJJERFAN: So far these posters have given you very good information to estimate the value of your friend's Cal gold piece.

I suggest a strong reserve in case he decides to auction it off.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    Hi..

the coin belongs to an old High School classmate of mine.. it was literally kept in his family for 153 years.. hard to believe his Dad's Dad's Dad put it away and through many generations, they never lost it or sold it.. my friend saw it as a child and his Dad said "someday, this will be yours.." .. when his Dad passed away earlier this year, my friend inherited it.. but he's not a collector, so he enlisted my help in researching what it was.. before that, he took it to a local dealer who told him it was a "token" and offered him $15.00 for it.. luckily, he smelled a rat, so he turned and walked out.. then i told him with the possibility it might have been cleaned, that ANACS was probably the best place to send it first.. so he did, and they sent it back saying they don't slab Fractional / Territorial Gold.. so he went with PCGS on my advice, and got the email with the grade yesterday.. AU55.. i checked the history of this very rare variety on Heritage and found that one, an AU50, they sold this past June for nearly $10,000.00.. so that's the history of the thing.. he hasn't decided if he's going to keep it and pass it down (he doesn't really need the money..) .. or sell it.. if he does sell it, we have advised him that Heritage would probably be the best venue for it.. but at least now it's authenticated as genuine, graded, and in a PCGS slab.. he couldn't be happier..

Thanks
    Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 889 ✭✭✭
    Bravo for him!!!

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harv: Good thing he had the Cal gold piece slabbed. It will be harder to get lost.

It was a miracle it did not get lost after 153 years as they are so small!

Just out of curiosity, how was it stored and does your friend recall if the method of storage changed since his early childhood? Also was tghe original purchase paperwork or packaging saved. That would be just as awesome as the Cal gold piece itself.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file