Home PSA Set Registry Forum

53 Bowman B&W set

OK I just looked on Ebay and if a guy wanted to start today collecting a set of these cards you could get 53 out of the 64 card set. Granted most of these cards would not grade better than a 2 or 3 but a guy could put together a set rather quickly and would be out only 500-1000 dollars. Let me know what you think.

Ok What I really wanted to know is if you guys think it is worth while registery a set like this with a bunch of low graded cards? YOu know like 2-5 grades.

Edited to change title from 52 to 53

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    You're basically paying $500- to have your name listed in the Registry. The cards gain no value being in a PSA 2-5 holder. And there will always be a steady stream of those sets auctioned off on Ebay or other sources.

Right now there are no 1953 Bowman B&W sets registered...but there will be one day. Having a set that averages PSA 3 or PSA 4 is cool -- but nothing extraordinary. If you pay the $500- in grading fees yourself, you will not get any "return" for doing so, other than seeing your name listed as the best set (until someone else registers).

My basic point is this: It's a beautiful set to collect, one that I highly recommend. But if you would purchase that set, why would you bother having it encapsulated by PSA?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Your thoughts were bassically the same as I was thinking. The point is, is that there is no place to register a non graded set. There are probably a couple of people that have full old sets but the cards are not in the best of shape. I think that it would be neat to have a registry available for non graded sets. Just my thoughts.
  • I think that if you want to collect a set in low grade, have it slabbed, and register it, that's great. If the reason you are doing it is to register it, that is kind of strange, but it's a hard set to collect.

Last I looked there was a set in the registry, but it was kind of uneven.

The set is very, very difficult to do in 7. It must be harder to do in 8, although there are some dealers who have 8's for sale, which must be an advantage.

'53 Bowman Color seems to be a cupcake compared with this set. I've been working on it in 7 for about a year, being pretty aggressive, and I'm only half done.

Card #64 has three examples in 6, and one in 7 (very recent). Zero in higher grade. The highest pop of any 8 is 13. 9 of the 64 cards have a pop of 3 or fewer in 8.

That's insane.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • One other thing. Raw sets *are* pretty cheap. You could get one for well less than $500, I bet.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The point of the set registry is the verfication of the ownership and existence of what you say you have. There's a simple way to register non-graded sets: Take digital pictures of yourself with the whole set (card by card) and then post them to a web page.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • I think it is also important to note, with a raw set you have no authentication that your cards have not been altered in any way. Buying into a nice Vintage set like the 1953 Bowman Black & White in a lower to mid grade using PSA at least establishes the fact that the cards are real and unaltered in any way. It also guarantees that you cant make the condition any worse than it is with a protective slab.
    Starting in a lower to mid grade is also a good jumping in point. A "starter set", so to speak jump starts your efforts towards something nicer down the road. Go for it!
    RayB69 Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!