Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Please share your experiences with crossing Morgans from NGC to PCGS

I'm considering taking the plunge - sending in 13 Morgans in NGC slabs (and 1 ANACS/new holder/MS65) so I can include them in my Morgan Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes. The grades on these range from MS65PL to MS62. After the mixed bag results on my first-ever raw submission, I'm somewhat apprehensive about how this group will go. I've included images where I could, a few I don't have imaged.

I'd appreciate if some of you would share your crossing experiences with me, and what you think of these. Thanks!

1878-S MS64 (seller's pics):

1880-S MS65PL:

1881-S MS65 (seller's pic):

1882-CC MS64:

1885 MS65 (images not available)

1887 MS64:

1887-O MS63 (images not available)

1888 MS62 (lower grade, but couldn't resist the colors and cool reverse die cracks):

1889 MS65 (Teletrade image):

1889 MS64 (seller's images):

1897 MS64 (Teletrade image):

1898 MS65 ANACS (Teletrade image):

1900 MS65:

1903 MS64:

1921-S MS64:
Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
Joe G.
Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crossing Morgans at PCGS is always a learning experience, even after doing it dozens of times. My personal experience has been that what you can be totally certain of is, they won't all cross at the same grade. I have found that:

-- Mint State NGC Morgans cross at the same grade more often than ANACS Morgans.
    -- PCGS has a different (more strict) interpretation than everyone about what DMPLs and PLs are, especially compared to ANACS.
    -- With careful selection, you can get 75%+ of MS61-65 coins to cross.
    -- As the grade goes up, the crossover rate goes down.

10 of the last 16 NGC Morgans I've sent in crossed at the same grade. Three crossed one grade lower; 1 was rejected for cleaning; 1 for altered surfaces, and the last one went from down three grades, from MS62 to AU58. I broke out the altered surface coin and it graded 1 point higher than NGC had graded it.

As a group, your coins look very good. The ones I think are questionable are the 1887 MS64 (heavy cheek marks), 1900 MS65 (left field marks and muted luster due to toning), and the 1921-S MS64 (looks like there are too many vertical scuffs) . I'm also suspicious of the 1889 MS64, due to what looks like might be a considerable loss of frost on the cheek.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Don't do it. image

Actually, I've had about 60% same grade, 15% upgraded, 20% downgraded, & 5% no graded.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had about 25 or so NGC Morgans that I needed to cross myself.
    Most of those crossed the first time.
    Some of them took me another try.
    One even made the trip 3 times before PCGS decided to place it in their holder...image

So what I am saying is on the whole, about 90% +/- finally ended up in aPCGS holder, some just cost a little more. image

Oh, by the way, you have some niceimage Morgans!! image

PS. I sent all of them only to cross at the same grade.
  • Options
    I am 1/13 on crosses ( even after having 4 national dealers look at coins first!imageimage and won't even try anymore ( i'll just get em stickeredimage)
    steve

myCCset
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you guys have more success crossing NGC and ANACS at the same grade. I have never gotten on to cross at the same grade.

I have had good luck crossing ICG and PCI Morgans at the same grade. I am about 85% crossing in to PCGS at the same grade. The problem now is the ICG coins are only $10 -$20 below the PCGS coin. With the cost of crossing it's just not worth it, I have just been waiting and getting the PCGS coin.
  • Options
    I've also had GREAT results on SEGS - ESPECIALLY VAMS!!! Nearly identical to NGC results if not a bit better. SEGS is EXCELLENT on VAM attribution. Good old Larry. image
  • Options
    I would save my money on trying to cross your coins. My experience is that 1 out of 10 cross. My other experience is the same coins have a 6 out of 10 chance if you break them out and send them in raw. With 13 coins at the PCGS fees and return shipping would be close to $400. Eventhough you have nice Morgans I would find the same dates in PCGS holders and buy them. Sell the NGC coins on Ebay and probally get the same price you paid for the PCGS coins. I believe that PCGS looks at NGC as (N ot G oing to C ross).image