Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    1807 #1
    1807 #2

Same coin, different sellers, same stae....HMMMMMMMMM.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    The second one looks to be the fake one. Why is there a reserve for a scam? That seems quite odd...
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    They are both the same coin to my eyes. They both have the same dig in the field and that funny looking 8. Also the toning is indentical. I feel bad for people who bid on these image
  • Options
    I repeorted it to ebay late last night /early this morning. Let's see what they do.
    Missing My Life -PSA-Please Watch- 30 seconds could help someone you know

"If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around to hear it. Am I still wrong?"
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The second one looks to be the fake one. Why is there a reserve for a scam? That seems quite odd... >>

That is unusual. Scammers usually operate by trying to get people to think they got a bargain.
  • Options
    I sent a question/comment to the seller of the 1st one, advising him of the 2nd auction. Nice bust half, too bad I've been spending too much on my Morgan collection lately. image
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They are both the same coin to my eyes. They both have the same dig in the field and that funny looking 8. Also the toning is indentical. I feel bad for people who bid on these image >>

What tipped me off is that both auctions have the same pictures. image
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the second seller has a feedback of 2 for selling used books and clothes - plus he's from Boca Raton which is enough in itself to scare me away.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    Seller of the 2nd coin added this.

On Sep-01-07 at 10:44:04 PDT, seller added the following information:

I want to appoligise these two pictures that were put in to my ebay were taken from google because i could not take a good picture of the coin because my camera was being fixed....ive put on real photos of the coin to show u all that i am indeed a true seller ...again i appoligise for any inconvience,...
  • Options
    UPDATE: I've heard back from the seller of #1, and he was quite appreciative of my alert. He contacted the other seller, who added some (pathetic) images of his coin, which is in fact different:

From seller #2's revised listing: "I want to appoligise these two pictures that were put in to my ebay were taken from google because i could not take a good picture of the coin because my camera was being fixed....ive put on real photos of the coin to show u all that i am indeed a true seller ...again i appoligise for any inconvience,..."

Seller #1: "I assume the old images have not been removed yet.

I assure you all, I have the pictured coin next to me, and would be willing to take a picture with it and today's newspaper behind it!
    Thanks for the heads up. We'll get to the bottom of this!
    Russau2"

It appears seller 2, being new to selling coins on the Bay, didn't think there was any harm in using "stock photos" for his auction. Hopefully his new-found education takes hold! image

Edited to add: Upon receiving my invitation, seller #1 has joined our motley crew here; just waiting to be approved. image
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    Ahhhh, to be a newbie....I never would have thought of this scenerio. Glad it got straighten out...
    Missing My Life -PSA-Please Watch- 30 seconds could help someone you know

"If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around to hear it. Am I still wrong?"
  • Options
    Looking at the new pictures (of the correct coin) on Seller #2's listing (they are on the link for coin #2 posted above) I cannot tell - because the photos are so bad - if this is a real 1807 or another Bogie.

1807 Bogies have been so common as of late that I am totally gun-shy.

Because he has cancelled the listing above. I'll see if I can find the re-list and I hope it has better photos.

Ed R.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file