Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A couple of Lincoln questions.

As an upgrade to the current coin in my Dansco Type I'm looking for an MS65-66 BN (Indian head brown) with a very nice strike. Is there any certain years that are better than others for finding what I want?

For the Memorial cent I want to put in a 1972 DDO (my birth year). I've noticed some slabs with an FS number and others without, is there a difference and if so what do I look for?

Thanks,
Millertime

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    1. Look for the later dates from Philly.
    2. I don't really know, but I'll say that it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't much about FS numbers but i am sure that you want this version-->1972 double die cent
    There are many lesser varieties of 1972 double die cents that are sometimes slabbed as double dies but you probably want The #1 Die with pronounced doubling as pictured in that auction. Bob
  • Options
    Careful here on the '72. There are 9 major DDOs for this date, each with a FS #. I think that not all the TPGs certify all the 9 die varieties, but just the #1 - the most dramatic (and expensive) - and so their slabs only say 1972 Doubled Die. Sorry I don't know which TPGs do what, or if there's been a change over time.
    "If someone says 'A penny for your thoughts' and you give them your 2 cents worth, what happens to the extra penny?" G.Carlin
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

There are many lesser varieties of 1972 double die cents that are sometimes slabbed as double dies but you probably want The #1 Die with pronounced doubling as pictured in that auction. Bob >>

you're right, i think there also are some 'poor mans' varieties similar to the 55 ddo.

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file