Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

General advice on ebay return please

I buy a vintage raw set on ebay which, when it arrives DOES NOT COME CLOSE to the advertised condition. Seller has 7 day return policy and the best feedback I have ever seen! I notify him of my intent to return the set, send him my phone number, and get a return diatribe (via non-ebay email) that contains:

1) I got a steal - any dealer would offer the set at 150% of my bid - let's get real
2) he based his grading on Mastro's description and then upgraded many cards
3) he has handled most cards from 1948 on
4) HE CANNOT REFUND MY PAYMENT IMMEDIATELY, BUT WILL EVENTUALLY (personal circumstances)

this is $4k worth of purchase, and right now I am a little hyped up. I paid with my credit card through paypal. Just looking for some other opinions or advice. I am trying not to do something stupid or rash. I sent another email, through ebay, stating that I would like to speak to him directly. He has 100% feedback with almost 10k feedbacks.

Thanks in advance.

Wondo

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about that, wondo. You can file a Paypal claim for item not as described, but those are tougher to win on, I think, than non-receipt as the seller will claim that you received exactly what you paid for & paypal may require a third party opinion, etc etc. You can also file a chargeback with your CC if he refuses to take a return, that's probably more effective, but Paypal frowns upon that and will freeze your account, I've heard. As a buyer, I'm also reluctant to return an item to a guy who's not standing behind his return policy, it makes you wonder if you can trust him to acknowledge your return of the product in the first place.

Edit: This is also another example of why the ebay FB is totally USELESS, as there are many very honest sellers with less than perfect FB, and less than honest sellers with perfect FB.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    chbchb Posts: 212
    If refund not made immediately, file a Paypal claim. "Personal circumstances" are irrelevant to the transaction (personal circumstances didn't cause a problem in his receiving payment), as is his feedback. And I say this as primarily a seller not a buyer.

Afterthought: The longer he can keep you from seeking action (will reimburse "eventually"), the worse it looks for you if you file a Paypal claim or a cc chargeback.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    He knows EXACTLY what he is doing. He owes you a complete refund or at least $1200. Ask him the condition of some of the cards in his scans to try to convince him how badly he overgraded the cards. I was bidding on that set as well, but he didn't respond to my question about the condition of the Mantle.
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    John, I hate to hear that. Maybe just maybe he will refund you. Its sad sellers get away with stuff like this.............
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you already did, but just in case you didn't - make copies of all the pictures and descriptions in the auction, including the part about 7 day return for full refund.

I too would file the credit card chargeback and not even bother with paypal. Paypal only covers you for $2000 and you'll have to prove it was misdescribed. Your credit card company is on your side in the dispute. He said he can't refund your $ because he has circumstances, sounds like he's dragging it on and then it'll be too late to file.

It's even possible that he thought the set would bring a lot more and he might have swapped a few cards out.